PDA

View Full Version : Noob needs help with blinkers

bigwake
01-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Hey all, I'm new here. I just bought a 2009 Buell XB12R from a guy yesterday. The owner was going to race this one so he took the blinkers off and put them in a box. I want to put them back on for street use and I'm having trouble. I don't know which rear plugs match with which connector behind the bulb. I know there are 4 female connectors sticking under the tail that I've got to. Each blinker however, is just the blinker with bulb and 2 of those super tiny copper connectors. Up front there are just open wire ends that were taped. Also, by the front right blinker (throttle side) there is a plastic box like connector that isn't connected to anything and it was just taped over the end. I've got wire and solder from a store and I'm planning on hard wiring the rear since I don't have the stock plug-in style connectors that were probably with the blinkers from the start. Do all the blinkers need to be attached for one to start blinking? I don't want to just attach them wherever and do it wrong. I just touched some rear wires to the blinkers an nothing happened. In the front I have one black and one blue wire on each side. In the rear I have 2 black, a purple, and a brown. I don't know which ones go with whatever side. They are tied off in pairs(One black is with a purple and one black is with the brown). Thanks in advance for some good suggestions.

jet6
01-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Just test fit them, twist the wires to see what side is what, then solder the heatshrink or tape them

xtremelow
01-02-2010, 04:17 PM
The black is the ground so just connect each to a ground and the other to the colored wires. the front has brown positive leads, and the rear the turn signal with the longer wires goes on the right side. As jet said plug them in and flip the blinker, might just have to switch the positive leads. Either way you have a 50/50 shot to get it right, if you hook the black to black.

bigwake
01-02-2010, 04:32 PM
I'll try that but do all the blinkers have to be connected? When I do one at a time I get no response on the dash or the light. Thanks guys.

tuneport67ss
01-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Were are you located at? Maybe there is someone close that can help you out. Who knows you might also find a riding buddy as well. I'm guessing that box you talk about is most likely something with the flasher. If it isnt hooked up you arent going to get anything either.

xtremelow
01-02-2010, 04:48 PM
You need atleast two signals hooked up for the flasher to work properly othewise you will get a buzzing noise, as the flasher is getting no or not enough resistance to work right.

bigwake
01-02-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm getting no noise at all. I think I'm going to just get 2 rear blinkers from the dealer since I have a gift card there and each blinker is $11. I don't have all of those spade connectors that I need and I don't have the 4 male end connectors for the rear blinkers. I'd be cutting those stock female connectors out and just soldering wires together which I don't really like the thought of. So maybe that box up front needs to be connected? Thanks.

bigwake
01-02-2010, 05:13 PM
I'll take pics and post them in 5 minutes so you all can see what I'm working with.

bigwake
01-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Ok, here are the pics. The first is the pic of that small connector box thing that was just taped shut. I don't see where it would be plugged in. Maybe it should be the way it is? The second is where the rear blinkers should connect but I don't have the mail end connectors. I would just be cutting these off and soldering other wires on. Maybe a bad idea. Thanks again.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5657_20100102111920_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5657_20100102111938_L.jpg

Edit: Pic placement

tuneport67ss
01-02-2010, 07:59 PM
That plug is for the flasher. I am guessing he took it off and just taped it up. You can buy one from the local parts store. You could go ahead and get the electronic flasher for later on when you add the LED blinkers. ;) Just go the parts store and tell them you need a 3 prong electronic flasher for the blinkers. Also you can buy the round male connectors at the parts store. Just get the blue ones. They will be to right gauge and jsut crimp them on after stripping the wire back. Once you put them on, you can swap the blue and brown until you figue out which side is which. Keep us updated.

bigwake
01-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Awesome Tuneport. I'll check it out. I talked to the original owner and he said he threw that flasher thing out. I don't know why he'd just toss it but oh well. I'll check it out at some place like advance auto. Thanks and I'll let you all know how it goes.

bigwake
01-03-2010, 01:05 AM
Ok everyone, I fixed it. I got the flasher from the local parts store and I got the blue bullet connectors. Some soldering and it's done. Thanks a ton for the help

tuneport67ss
01-03-2010, 01:29 AM
Glad to see yoiu got it.[up]