PDA

View Full Version : Pre-'03 engine ??? in an XB

GSXdoubleR88ciNINJA
01-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Is it possible to put a pre-2003 engine in an XB ('04-'10). The ONLY reason I'd want this is to be able to put a Baker 6 speed in there. I'd still use the wire harness and ECM from the xb.

I've got a lot of mods on my plate, so many, starting from scratch and buying every piece to build a new engine seems logical. I've already got the big bore, lining up some Heads to port and polish, titanium valves. Blah blebidy blah blah... I think it's worth the expense for a 6 speed since I'm going all out. Any body know about the older motor in the new bike?

Buellysses
01-12-2010, 03:30 AM
Hmm, my first thought is "probably not" if you look at the difference in the swing arm mounts. I mean, I guess where there is a will (and some handy machine work) there is a way. The pre-xb's look like the swing arm mount is part of the frame where as our xb's the mount is part of the engine.

The oil filter is in a different place too, but I don't see that being as huge of an issue.

But then again, search e-bay for "buell swingarm mount" you may be able to pull it off with one of those...

GSXdoubleR88ciNINJA
01-12-2010, 04:09 AM
hmmmm I was staring at that rear motor mount and swing arm right before I typed that up....

Any body?

OR Maybe change the later motor inside the primary case to have the "trapdoor", transmission service window under the clutch basket. But then I'm unsure of the Baker 6 speed fitting the late model case.

Any body?

Supermanrider
01-12-2010, 04:12 AM
Have you emailed them and asked them about making one or asking if they had one not listed that would work

GSXdoubleR88ciNINJA
01-12-2010, 04:17 AM
Baker doesn't make them. If they'd make me a custom one. I'm sure someone else would have let the cat out of the bag a while back! Thanks I will send them an email with persistence.

GSXdoubleR88ciNINJA
01-13-2010, 04:52 AM
bump

Buellysses
01-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Yeah, unfortunately GSX, this issue has been gone through several times. As far as I know there isn't anyone that has figured out how to shoe-horn a six speed into our babies. It's just not in the cards I guess.

It would be interested to to know exactly why the Baker won't fit in there. Either way though, I don't know that I would have the balls to cut up my engine just so I can have a sixth gear...

07Bolt
01-13-2010, 04:32 PM
found this today

http://www.bikernet.com/garage/xl6-1.asp

buelladdicted
01-13-2010, 07:28 PM
I would go the other direction,to eliminate the fi and its components.not because I dont like these things as they were intended.But because they limit how much real performance tuning can be done.In the later xb like my 08 the chasi not only the cooling factor but acess to rocker boxes and spark plugs, make a simple task like ,cam exchange,like pulling teeth.As much as I love the handling of my bike,rear wheeling about 10 more hp,would be a fair trade off to me.Also performance wise,the parts from the crank up are the real improvements.The other componants like fi,non adjustable ignition,are just nessicary evils to satisfy gov. agencies,not performance enhancements.Lets not forget the beauty of the tuber as well.

GSXdoubleR88ciNINJA
01-14-2010, 03:15 PM
That link to the Baker 6 speed is for Sportys and Buell '02 and before. hmmm. I might just buy a tuber a trick it out with all my parts. SIXTH GEAR !!! It only makes sense.

Pre '03 engine in a XB OR 6 speed in a '03-'10 engine? THAT IS THE QUESTION. Can it be done if the motor was completely apart to start with , or not?