PDA

View Full Version : Just Bought A Semi-basket Case

EODHOG
09-18-2007, 06:29 AM
...Buell Blast last weekend and am trying to find some info/advice and recommendations. I am new here so if I missed a post where this has been discussed already please point me in the right direction. I've worked on all flavors of Harleys but the is my first swing at a Buell.

So I found a 2002 Buell Blast with 9,8XX miles on it that "needed work". Figured I could screw around on it some and my Wife and Son can use it for school or work. I paid $400 dollars for it after checking it over. It seemed that it should run but who knows if what the guy told me is accurate. I take it home and dive in.

The compression is 0. That's ZERO. I pulled the carb and it has a brand new boot, no holes, and was tightly sealed The diapham is intact with no visible holes. Turning the motor over while sealing the carb with my hand yeilded some suction but very little. Extremely little force coming from the head after removing the spark plug.

It has good spark. After pulling the rocker box, the valves are moving freely and appear to open and close completely. My conclusion is that either the rings are REALLY bad, or there is a hole in the piston.

I lurked around here for a couple of days to see what info I could scrape up, and see that most folks like Nallin's Stuff. So do I but this is a budget build. So I'll ask a few question that ya'll may be able to answer immediately:

-Is the barrel and piston the same as a Sportster 883? or
-Will an 883 Sporty cylinder and piston be used?
-Is the bore and stroke the same?

(Some of you might see where I'm going with this.)

So if any if this is true, will an 883 big bore kit work on the Blast?

How far can the Blast barrel be bored? Being 6' 2" I would like to get this thing into the mid 5 to 600cc range.

On a side note I like the look of the Firebolt front fairing. After looking at the Member's Pics I've decided I love that look.
Will it (with Firebolt mounting hardware) come anywhere close to fitting The Blast? Fabbing some brakets isn't an issue but I don't want to make the whole thing from scratch. How about the Tach/Speedo setup. Close fit? Anyone got either one for sale?

Thanks in advance for any help. Looking forward to learning about The Blast and sharing wrench info.
Dave:)

His_and_Her_Buells
09-18-2007, 08:36 AM
Look up a guy called "ezblast" on buelletinboard.com. He is on here also but seems to spend more time on that forum. He is THE blast guru. There is a wealth of knowledge on this board but it is mostly XB related. Ezblast can tell you everything you would ever want to know about the blast. He has steered me in the right direction more than once concerning my wifes blast. There is a 600cc kit for the blast but not sure how pricey it is. Here is a pic of ezblast's blasts.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/662_20070918013252_L.jpg

P.S. If you by chance need a low seat for you blast I have on for cheap.

EODHOG
09-19-2007, 03:18 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll have to pick his brain.

The pics are the reason I'd like to change the front end. Totally changes the look.

Mine came with the low seat so I'll pass for now. I think I'll focus on getting it running first. This seat spent 5 years in the Mojave desert so it has seen some better days. Maybe in the spring.
Thanks again.

EODHOG
09-21-2007, 11:27 PM
What we have here is a major malfunction. Not hard to tell what the problem is now. http://inlinethumb42.webshots.com/19561/2697299510100652026S500x500Q85.jpg

2Evil4U
09-21-2007, 11:56 PM
Yowchy...

Oh well. New Sleeve, New piston, good to go.