PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Oil and Transmission Fluid

Boomer81
09-19-2007, 03:30 PM
I just went over 1K on my Ulysses and have been told to move to synthetic fluids. Can anyone tell me what type of synthetic fluid I should use? and should you use the same type for both engine and transmission? So far I am leaning towards AMSOIL Motorcycle 20W-50.

Somthngfrce
09-19-2007, 03:46 PM
I just bought a xb12s and switched to the same Amsoil 20W-50 and can tell that it idles a little smoother. I also changed out the primary oil for Amsoil too. I was trying to figure out what Synthetic Oil to use and there was a whole discussion on it on the XB forum after I also asked the same question. lots of good feedback, but ultimately the Amsoil won..Good luck with what ever oil you choose. No one here will steer you wrong! :D

BuellPastor
09-19-2007, 06:07 PM
Its also what I use and it works great. I know there have been many other discussions on this topic.

Phrogg
09-19-2007, 10:24 PM
I have over 10k on my bike and was wondering if I should take it into the HD shop to have them do the 10k check up on it. Didn't know if taking it to them is really worth it or what they will actually do.

2Evil4U
09-20-2007, 12:50 AM
I just changed both oils in my Uly again. Amsoil since about 2000 miles. Currently at 12750 in eleven months. No issues with the fluid in either hole. It runs and shifts great.

As far as the 10k checkup, the recommended changes are motor and tranny oils, spark plugs, reset TPS, and change the fork oil. (Maybe one other thing, but I can't remember off the top of my head. It should say in the manual.) I don't intend to change my fork oil anytime soon, but everything else probably makes decent sense.