PDA

View Full Version : Oil level frustration

x1cr
01-23-2010, 03:31 AM
Ok, just had my 620 mile service done. I checked the oil (hot check) the next day and had no reading on the stick so i brought it back to the dealer.The tech who serviced my bike checked it and added a little...The way they told me to check the oil is like this:Run it til its hot, shut it off , wait 3-4 minutes and check it.(this is not the procedure in my owners manual). When this method is used there is no reading on the stick.
I then checked it like this(my interpretation of the owners manual method): Drove the bike for at least 10 minutes, came to stop, let bike idle for 3-4 minutes while keeping bike upright, shut off, loosened dip stick and kept bike upright for additional 3-4 minutes,wiped dipstick, inserted and turned until tight, removed and checked-The level was at the lowest lie-the Add LINE. I added enough to get into the cross hatches.
SO THEN I parked it and did he cold check this morning before I started it- The level was at the bottom ADD LINE again.
There are no visible leaks and it doesnt smoke. The service manager at my hd dealer has an 08 R with less than 2000 miles on it and he says he's had to add a quart already.
I havent gotten my service manual yet and wont have it until next week so hopefully that will answer some questions.
To be honest, I'm bummed that the buell tech at my local dealer doesnt readily know the deal for my bike. (these guys at least try though-i've gotten some bad treatment at most hd/buell dealers since i'm on a buell not a hd)
I was a mechanic so I am at least mechanically inclined and I will learn about this motor, but in the meantime I have 2 issues:
1)wts the proper way to check the oil level(dont want to starve it or overfill it)
2)is there anyone around s.jersey that is knowledgeable about these bikes in case there is a real issue?
This bike is unlike any i've ever ridden- I'm lovin it.

07Bolt
01-23-2010, 03:47 AM
the sportsters had a service-manual typo a few years ago. they kept coming up 3/4 short of a quart.

here is the 2010 1125 procedure

Pre ride Inspection:

An accurate engine oil check can only be made with the engine at normal operating temperature.

1. With motorcycle on the side stand look at the oil level in the sight gauge. An indicated oil level between the lower and upper lines on the oil level sight gauge is acceptable for safe engine operation.

2. If there is no oil present in the sight gauge lift the motorcycle to a straight up and down position to see if any oil appears in the sight gauge.

3. If oil appears proceed to the Hot Check.

4. If no oil appears place motorcycle on sidestand and add oil in 0.1 L (3.4 fl oz) increments just until you see oil in the gauge and then proceed to the Hot Check

Hot Check Procedure:

1. To bring the motorcycle to normal operating temperature, ridethe motorcycle for a least 10 minutes and 8 kilometers (5 miles).

2. Park the motorcycle on the sidestand while idling and remove the oil fill plug.

3. Idle the engine one (1) minute. Shut off the engine.

4. Read the oil level in the sight gauge.a. Below the lower line: Add oil in 0.1 L (3.4 fl oz)increments until the level is between the upper andlower lines.b. Between the upper and lower lines: It is safe tooperate the motorcycle.c. At (or above) the upper line: Drain oil at 0.2 L (6.8fl oz) increments until the oil level is between the lines.

5. Reinstall the oil fill plug.

xtreme6669
01-23-2010, 03:30 PM
the 08r and 09r/cr models do not have a sight glass on the side of the case...

the oil level comes up different on my bike every time....If i get it between the lines one time it will be over filled the next... I have changed the oil twice now and have come to the conclusion that I will now just put in 3 qts and a filter and leave it be. Unless it smokes or leaks it will be fine for the short intervals I let it go between services.

03Firebolt9R
01-23-2010, 03:38 PM
It is the same on my 09 CR. I do just like xtreme6669 and put 3 qts in.

x1cr
01-23-2010, 03:50 PM
thanks for the replies-at least I know I'm not losing my mind. Ok got it 3 qts and thats it. The first service was done at the dealer so I'm assuming 3 qts were put in.Thanks again.
suns out....gonna bundle up for a spin!

moosestang
01-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Mine is usually the same on a hot check and with 3 quarts in, it will be just below the add line on a cold check.

xtreme6669
01-24-2010, 04:00 PM
I would not count on the dealer having put in 3 qts... the book shows a little less.

gear2078
03-01-2010, 06:54 AM
I agree with not counting on the dealer FOR ANYTHING! Also, my XB12 goes through a quart per 2k miles after proper break in period was followed, I wouldn't expect anything less on my CR. The dealership said it was normal. I just keep it full.

rex
03-05-2010, 07:21 AM
Nothing showed up on mine. the dealer said it has to be hot to check to oil......we will see. I get it back tomorrow. had some electrical problems, and they should be fixed. I just had my 600 mile check up. I ran it and checked it, no oil showing at all, hot or cold..

Thaloc
03-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Dude form what iv understood, the Rotax in the 125 was originally in design for the new Ape. But then Ape took all there engine design in house and it went to buell. From what iv been told, if you want a good tech for your 1125 you take it to and Ape Tech, they are used to working on Rotax.

slickncghia
03-05-2010, 09:01 PM
i thought i was the only one.

Its always coming up too low... even when i know there is more than the oil required (just done service myself)

it really irritates me because i never know if its using too much oil or not.

IRULE
03-08-2010, 12:10 AM
I just did my first service myself (too cheap to pay the dealer). Still cost me $65 in parts (the 2 o-rings were $10 - I think they were made of gold). Anyway, 3qt is just about right - hot and cold! I am glad I changed the oil, the oil was DIRTY for 600 miles.[up]

magna87
03-10-2010, 10:50 PM
:p I do all my own service, run the bike, take a ride. let the bike idle for about 4 minutes,put it on a spool stand or hold up right, let the fans stop running , and check.. all so 3qts 20-50[up]

yukonjr
03-12-2010, 02:07 AM
your interpretation is correct, run until hot, idle upright 3-4, shut off, loosen dipstick, wait 3-4, then check. Try to keep upright exactly that, balanced in the upright position.
Forget about the cold check.
I spoke with my buell mechanic at some length about this, this is what he told me. There was an addendum to the the original owners manual that states this procedure.
For me, so far so good.

Outlaw
06-01-2023, 04:46 AM
I realize this a old thread but it is truly baffling. I changed oil on my 09 CR . Added 3 qts and no matter how I check it it doesn't show on the stick. Hot cold upright side stand doesn't matter. This is the second time I've changed it and I don't remember this issue the first time. Guess that's why they switched to the sight glass.

34nineteen
06-01-2023, 04:02 PM
I realize this a old thread but it is truly baffling. I changed oil on my 09 CR . Added 3 qts and no matter how I check it it doesn't show on the stick. Hot cold upright side stand doesn't matter. This is the second time I've changed it and I don't remember this issue the first time. Guess that's why they switched to the sight glass.

You can also keep adding oil until it does show on the dipstick (dont run the motor), then drain it out into a VERY clean container and measure the volume. Compare the volume in the container to the volume specified in the service book. IIRC it is 3 qts with a filter change, so you should be there, but maybe the manual is incorrect (not like thats ever happened before *sarcasm*). Also, check to see if the part number on the dipstick changed between 2008 or 2009 in case a previous owner (or factory) put the wrong one in for whatever reason.

Its not like its a dry sump setup like an XB where you have to deal with wet sumping or anything like that.

dpa
06-02-2023, 01:04 AM
The dipsticks for the newer bike are longer than the older models, so if someone happened to swap the dipstick this could be the issue.

Barrett
06-02-2023, 07:05 AM

Josh: I never owned a Rotax powered Buell but serviced several. Even directly following a full service with absolute correct quantity of oil added, the "cold oil check" was a crap shoot as to whether you'd even get a few droplets of oil on the tip of the dipstick. But the below sequence seemed accurate and consistent for me so perhaps give it a shot and see if it works for you. I know you know this but common sump engines not only contain the motor bottom end, but also the entire trans assembly..input and output shafts...and wet the clutch pack. Japs dropped the oil-fill/dipstick cap combo decades ago in favor of a sight glass for a reason. Reason being accuracy and ease of checking sump oil level.

This always worked:
Ride for at least 10-12 miles. Clutch cover should be very warm to the touch.
Now stop on a flat smooth surface with engine continuing to idle with you sitting on bike in upright position.....let it idle additional 2 minutes.
Now shut off engine.....stay sitting on bike in upright position....wait 2 minutes. Now reach down and remove dipstick-wipe clean-reinsert and snug up-remove-read dipstick level

Outlaw
06-02-2023, 02:04 PM
Thanks John I'll give that a try. At the end of the day. It holds 3 qts. I put in 3 qts. It's just nice to see the level.

Barrett
06-02-2023, 02:29 PM
Thanks John I'll give that a try. At the end of the day. It holds 3 qts. I put in 3 qts. It's just nice to see the level.

My pleasure Josh and couldn't agree more. Comforting to actually confirm correct oil level now and then, on your own.

Cooter
06-02-2023, 05:07 PM
Interesting thing going on here. I'm sure you're fine to ride with the 3 quarts of capacity added, and I'm far from a Oil-Level-Nazi (close is fine) but its a curious case. Perhaps an extra thorough job of draining it has emptied a little more than the factory assumed in it's calculations? IMO, I wouldn't be against adding a few oz's to get it to read on the stick, and therefore be more 'correct' than any capacity number. Tape an extension of something to the dip stick to see how much below the level it is?

Is it real cold where you're at? Temperature does make a big difference in level on the 1125's, so Johns very involved method should have the oil really, really, hot and at the highest level it could be. Sort of the same answer ^^^ a different way.

On my 1125's I have the habit of cleaning the strainer as well and theres a few oz's trapped in it once you pop it off. Yes its a messy pain, but it's also a great way to check what big things have been caught cycling through the engine. Did you do that? I'm also in the habit of cutting the filter apart because it's so easy to do on them.

I'd be very interested to see whats going on. I have a couple 1125's and 2 1125 engines around here currently if you need me to compare anything for you, let me know.