PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever have this problem?

lexatv
01-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Well I just got my buell and when I turn the key on it makes a loud whine. Now I was told this was the fuel pump kicking on and its normal, right? That being said, occasionally I turn the key I dont hear the pump kick on and when I hit the start button nothing happens. It doesnt turn over or anything. The lights are on and everything but no go? If i turn the key back off and then on and I hear the pump it starts fine.... Is this Normal or is there somthing wrong?

theoctopus
01-26-2010, 12:27 AM
Totally normal.

theoctopus
01-26-2010, 12:28 AM
Well, I'm assuming you just have your killswitch toggled in different positions. That whine you hear is the fuel pump priming.

With killswitch off, lights come on but no start. With killswitch set to allow ignition, fuel pump primes, and the bike turns over and starts.

onelogue
01-26-2010, 12:31 AM
Normal i guess. doesn't seem serious but my fuel pump never hesitates when i turn the key on.

Are you sure you got the kill switch in the on position? lol

nilla
01-26-2010, 12:59 AM
+1 on killswitch. or check your battery cables

lexatv
01-26-2010, 01:02 AM
just checked my battery cables and all is good. Yea the kill switch is always on haha. Dont know if this is going to be a problem but Ive only had the bike a couple days. Like i said turn the key off then back on then I hear the pump and it fires right up. If I dont hear the pump then nothing happens when i try and start it. Weird [confused]

lexatv
01-26-2010, 01:03 AM
This happens to you Octupus?

nilla
01-26-2010, 01:05 AM
also the volume of the whine varys with how full the tank is and the temperature too

lexatv
01-26-2010, 01:12 AM
Yea I was just worried that maybe a contact in the ignition was going bad or somthing. Id hate to get stuck so I figured Id ask you guys. Man am I glad I found this site. Awesome

07Bolt
01-26-2010, 02:29 AM
on the '07 firebolt both ignition wires end up at the fuel pump. and the low-fuel light sensor.

theoctopus
01-26-2010, 05:54 AM
If you turn the ignition on, set the killswitch to allow engine start, the fuel pump primes, correct?

Then you turn it back off, then turn it back on, set the killswitch to allow engine start, and it doesn't prime again, correct?

If this is the pattern of events you're dealing with, that's perfectly normal. Once the fuel pump primes the first time, it doesn't need to prime again for the 2nd, so long as the two are close in time.

lexatv
01-26-2010, 10:20 AM
The killswitch is always on. sometimes when i go out to start the bike i turn the key on and i dont hear the pump prime which is when nothing happens when i hit the ignition. but if i turn the key off and then on again i hear it prime then it will start. whats the deal? anyone have this happen?

Lando
01-26-2010, 05:14 PM
To me, that sounds like you might have a contact going bad/getting loose in the ignition cylinder.
It's the common denominator. I would try to get some electrical grease and lube it up, and check for loose/corroded wires. You might need to dissasemble the ignition cylinder.

FATLOW1
01-26-2010, 09:05 PM
I BELIEVE YOU SHOULD BE TURNING YOU BIKE OFF WITH THE KILL SWITCH THEN YOUR KEY...LEAVE THE KILL SWITCH OFF UNTIL THE NEXT START THIS WILL PREVENT ANY DRAIN ON YOUR BATTERY