PDA

View Full Version : California owners ?

poppinsexz
01-29-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm installing the evap can on my 1125r to try and solve the gas drip/fumes problem.

Could someone post a picture of the factory hose routing and the can mounting. mainly looking for the route from the throttlebodies to the evap can.

Thanks
Chris

kajer
01-30-2010, 05:27 PM
on the california models there is a line from just to the right of the fuel cap that runs to the stupid charcoal canister, then a return line from the canister to the throttle body. Everybody I know has removed their stupid canister with NO ill effects. The throttle body plug gets capped, while the fuel tank vent line runs to atmosphere somewhere away from the tires and exhaust.

The lines I am talking about are for the XB, but I would imagine the 1125 would be very similar as far as California emissions.

Why would you even consider installing a canister when the rest of us take the thing off to get rid of the problems you are describing?

ajgerdes
01-30-2010, 07:36 PM
I'm installing the evap can on my 1125r to try and solve the gas drip/fumes problem.

The fuel in the tanks boil and drip out the overflow tubes, somebody said that HD suggested installing the canister to catch the fuel to eliminate the dripping fuel and fumes. From what i read about it doesn't happen to all bikes but just some. [confused]

poppinsexz
01-31-2010, 02:33 PM
And it doesn't happen to the XB bikes they don't make enough heat.

The 1125s making more rpm and power heat the fuel up to the point of extra pressure in the fuel tank.

I wouldn't be worried but it's starting to stain the swing arm.

kajer
02-01-2010, 12:20 AM
faulty water pump? I thought the liquid cooled bikes... THE FUEL BOILS!?

WTF?

poppinsexz
02-01-2010, 02:09 AM
Yep. The frame is wraped around the engine and it can get hot enough to boil the fuel.

The 09 has some heat shielding inside against the engine. Mine will get it at the first valve adjustment.

Red93stang
02-01-2010, 08:24 PM
My 09 does it too. I put the evap can on and problem solved. Their is no diagram that I could find for the routing of the line to the t-body. I tucked it into the black plastic shield on the left side.

The fuel actually turns from vapor to liquid once it reaches the outside air at the end of the tube. This is why u get the drip.

kajer
02-01-2010, 08:39 PM
the canister is actually filled with some form of charcoal. While the canister is vented to atmosphere , there is also a return line going to the throttle body.

The canister has three connections. One on one side, two on the other, the two on the same side are connected to the fuel vent and the throttle body respectively. the single connection is what vents to atmosphere.

If dripping fuel on your frame is your main concern, then why not just move the vent line?

poppinsexz
02-01-2010, 09:37 PM
I couldn't find a good place. Anyhow I'm putting the parts on now.

Where does the hose connect into the throttle bodies at?

I've got the rest, but that connection is not obvious the SM has nothing and I don't have a parts book yet.

kajer
02-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Keep in mind that I was talking about the XB model, but as far as California is concerned, it should all be very similar. If you have a 49 state model, then there should be a capped hookup tube somewhere on your throttle body

edit: spelling fail

poppinsexz
02-01-2010, 10:02 PM
The only one I found is a brass fitting on the left side of the front body pointed down. It is a 3/8 size while the hose is 1/4 to 5/16. Just seems like a huge mismatch and I'm not even sure I can get the hose on it.

ghshafer
09-29-2010, 08:31 PM
My 09 XB12Ss does this. Gets hot enough from regular riding that the fuel boils, turns to vapor, vents into the vent line, cools, condenses, drips. Every time. Low fuel level or high. Added a right side scoop to direct more air onto the engine, which has the effect of the fan not running as long or at all after shut down. Still drips. So is everyone just living with their garage smelling like gas after every ride? Or is there something specific about this problem that can be fixed? Does the evap canister solve this? If so, pictures?

Mike Van V
10-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Hmmm...

Neither my 1125CR nore my 05, XB12S drip or stink up the place.
The CR still has the evap. canister, the previous pwner removed it from the 12S. The evap. hose now hangs back by the swing arm, open to the air....no dripping...even on hot So. Cal. days..

One thing...I did insulate the interior of the frames on both bikes..!?

Mike

ghshafer
10-10-2010, 06:56 PM
What do you mean you insulated the interior of the frames? Using what, where exactly?

r1aven
03-02-2011, 12:08 PM
i've had this problem from day 1... i have a closed garage so the gas rises though the whole house if i don't crack open the garage door a little after my ride. It mostly happens when i sit in traffic where the bike frame starts to get really hot. Has anyone found a fix for it because the harley dealer has no idea???

laroux
09-19-2012, 01:36 AM
My XB and 1125 have both been little stinkys. I would think the 1125's would be running cooler then the XB's due to liquid cooling. My XB didn't do it until I rerouted the breather tube out of the air box. It helped with the stutter between 2500 and 4000 rpms. Seems as if the 1125 does it more then the XB though. Anyways, I am sure we all agree on that portion. [cool]