PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Rides California Hwy 9 Anyone?

DWix1
02-02-2010, 05:51 PM
I took my new XB12R on its maiden voyage up Hwy9 this past Sunday. Lots of riders were out (per usual). It was great (per usual)...but no Buells--let's make that part not-per-usual. Anyone Bay Area Buell riders up for riding Hwy 9 on the weekends? Mornings are fun. Lots of riders. Its a good time. Some people totally bomb down the road which looks equal parts fun and scary as hell. I'm more relaxed (read: slow). Either way its well worth the ride.

fahren
02-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Hating you from my snowy, flat and straight-roaded part of Maryland............[mad]

But seriously, sounds fun. Enjoy. Lotsa Buellers out your way. Maybe they've found even better roads?!?

DWix1
02-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Better than Hwy9!!?? Impossible! haha. There might be some other great NorCAl twisties. If there are I definately wanna ride them. Hwy9 is pretty legendary though. Its right up there with that road in Tennessee. What's that one called? The serpant or something like that? Are you far from that road? It looks awesome.

dave_xb12r
02-02-2010, 06:39 PM
I was planning on doing some riding, but on my way up the 680 on friday night, I got SOAKED. I didn't ride at all on saturday because my leathers were still wet. Sundays ride home was nice though!

BuddhaBuell
02-02-2010, 06:50 PM
DW
its in NC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqtdJKM5Mfk
:)

better vid, cause their on a Buell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VEMeoohzOw
:D

dave_xb12r
02-02-2010, 07:03 PM
I think HW25 is the best road in CA

DWix1
02-02-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm looking at a map--where is Hwy25? is it Bay Area?

DWix1
02-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Oh, North Carolina. Ugg, my youtube isn't working today for some reason. Nothing like trying to surf the net while at work...

DWix1
02-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Dave, hopefully when things dry out we can round up some Buell riders. The road (hwy9) was still wet in a lot of spots on Sunday.

dave_xb12r
02-02-2010, 07:48 PM
HW25 is south of Holister. Where is hw9?

DWix1
02-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Oh ok, I see it now (on the map). I bought my bike not too far away from that general area (Monterey Co. HD, in Salinas). There are definately nice roads that way. I remember driving my car to Pinacles a while back and it was really nice. hwy9 runs north/south in the mountains btwn Santa Cruz and San Jose. Hwy9 and Hwy35 are really nice.

DWix1
02-02-2010, 07:58 PM
just looking at the CA map--anyone in waaay NorCal could have access to what looks like some awesome stretches of road: Hwy36, 299, 96. I wish I had the buell saddlebags (sold out?). I'd like to get up that way.

dave_xb12r
02-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Oh your name is Dave and this is you right? http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5819_20100125215841_L.jpg

I saw this in the member pics, recognized the window and ash tray and I sent by text to Jeff @ MCHD and asked him what's up.

As far as the saddlebags go, just get some cortech bags.

DWix1
02-02-2010, 09:05 PM
there's my ugly mug! haha. I had just bought the bike and a Harley guy (nice guy) took the pic of me on the bike. they were having a bbq. I had a hotdog, a pop, and rode off the lot with my new bike. Jeff's a good guy. I got a great deal.

dave_xb12r
02-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Jeff is a great guy! I go hang out with him and shoot the breeze all the time. They do free lunch every saturdays for anyone that rides in. How much did you get it for?

DWix1
02-02-2010, 10:48 PM
I oughta drop in on Saturdays then! I got my bike for $7k otd. I feeel like I got a great deal. I hope it doesn't tick anyone off who bought their bike at full price. I heard that dealerships in the Midwest were blowing out their Buells for cheaper than what I paid. But, I got the bike cheap no doubt. To my defense--I've wanted a Buell for ages. I originally wanted the XB9 city X and I shopped for one. My experience was a bad one when dealing with the Harley dealerships (not talking about Monterey Co. HD, I only just met them when I found the XB12R that I bought). But, in the past when I'd go to a Harley dealership to look at a Buell it didn't seem like they very much wanted my business. They certainly never felt like they had to make me a good deal because (it always felt like to me), they didn't care if they sold me a bike once they learned I had no interest in a Harley. Thus, I never bought a Buell before. When I heard Harley pulled the plug I was sad, but my chance to own a Buell had finally come. I sold my Ducati immediately and bought the XB12R. I actually bought my Buell before I sold my Duc because all remaining Buells were disappearing. The more I think about HD dumping Buell the more I think it was a stupid move. I actually like HD motorcycles...but the HD costume party, the ones who buy into the lifestyle(to each their own, but not my cup-o-tea), are getting older and fewer. Bad move to dump Buell. Life is weird though. Don't be shocked if HD resurects Buell in one form or another someday later down the road because the marketing setup HD is on now doesn't seem sustainable for future survival.

kalifornia
02-06-2010, 02:19 AM
I'm in North/North bay, so If you south bay guys want to do a Tamalpias ride sometime lets do it.

wanta6thgear
02-07-2010, 04:04 AM
yes jeff is a great guy.got my 09 xb9xs from him.i was there when you bought your bike i think.does yours have the jardine pipe?i paid full price and had elecrical bugs but the service shop took care of me and jeff was always there.no other issues with the bike and its the only bike ive ever wanted.there are some cool spots in monterey county.im not fast but i keep up at a sane speed.

bajabomber87
02-07-2010, 04:57 AM
I'm afraid of HWY 9, read a lot of stories online about cops and radars.........and the fact my buddy went head on with a car, scares me about riders pushing themselves too far.

Dave we should make a group ride once it dries up.

dave_xb12r
02-07-2010, 06:20 AM
Sounds good. We're also planning on doing the 130 from san jose to paterson.

bajabomber87
02-08-2010, 01:53 AM
Looks like one curvy road from google maps [up]

kristo60
11-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Hwy 9 is an awesome road to ride!! I'm lucky to live right off of it! I'm in Zayante which is a small suburb of Felton just minutes away from the 9. I know the road well and great roads (read just as fun as hwy 9!)that are in my immediate area! You can get into some amazing twisties all the way over to Hwy 1 on the coast then it's WOT north or south until you hit Half Moon Bay or Santa Cruz! Was just about to put up on a post for South Bay Buellers until I decided to explore this posting. Lookn to meet up with someone in the bay for a ride (or Santa Cruz buellers if they're out there!-I've seen one or two of you out there.) Also looking for a bay area bueller with ecmspy.... Kris