PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a possibly everyday bike, HELP!

spd579
09-26-2007, 03:15 AM
I've been looking to pick up a new bike for a few months now and I'd like to do it in the next month or so. The questions I have for you guys is if I was to get a lightning 9 or 12 would it be capable of being driven everyday if I desired? could it consistently reliably start every day even if it was 40 degrees outside? I have a 2000 Blast currently and love the look, grunt, and style of the Buells but am I going to have to look for a 4 banger to give me this reliability? I say this simply because the blast is a fun bike but def has let me down in a few ways (reliability wise). I just was wondering if you guys could help me out with my situation. Last question, a buddy of mine with a 250 ninja had a choke on his bike for cold starts. Why didnt the Buell Blast? and do the 9 and 12 have those or are they setup different? if so how does that work? thanks guys

fez
09-27-2007, 01:52 AM
xbs are fuel injected, therefore no choke.
i ride my 2006 xb 12s daily to work. this being montana, it is pretty chilly in the morning (25 - 30 deg). the bike starts fine and idles ok, but it does not ride very well until it warms up. the engine sputters, backfires and surges until it warms up.

LeFox
09-27-2007, 10:40 AM
look...i don't know why buell has to deal with these reliability questions. [confused]

if you give your bike the maintenance it needs, let it warm up a bit before riding it (about the time it takes to get your gear on), you should have no more problem than any other bike...

it's a 2way street:
if you take care of your bike, the bike will take care of you [smirk]

Somthngfrce
09-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Amen!....Well said. I just got my xb12s and it is parked next to my Honda Shadow and my Buell runs better than the honda and they both are taken to their service intervals at the dealer. Go figure!

2Evil4U
09-27-2007, 06:07 PM
i've put almost 14000 miles on my uly in the first year of ownership. oil changes, plugs, tires has been it. these are super-low maintenance and reliable bikes if you follow the oem recommendations with a little common sense.

zombieBUELLer
09-27-2007, 09:52 PM
if I was to get a lightning 9 or 12 would it be capable of being driven everyday if i desired? Of course! i ride everyday now since i sold my jeep.

could it consistently reliably start every day even if it was 40 degrees outside? Yes. bundle up and get a battery tender!

am i going to have to look for a 4 banger to give me this reliability? NO!

a buddy of mine with a 250 ninja had a choke on his bike for cold starts. why didnt the blast? EFI engines uses cold start enrichment.. so there is no choke.

and do the 9 and 12 have those or are they setup different? if so how does that work? the 9 and 12 are the same.. no choke

have you ridden a 9 or a 12? if not go test one out!

ironhead1977
09-28-2007, 02:07 AM
The largest problem with any motorcycle is letting your next door neighbor maintain or repair it for you. Usually after he gets done, it really needs repair and it will always be because the bike is a piece of junk, not because he is inept.
I ride either a Buell or Harley that is 30 years old every day to work with out fail and with total confidence ,rain or shine.
I ride Harley products not because of Harley but because of quality craftsmanship.

mrdozer2you
09-28-2007, 05:37 PM
I ride Harley products not because of Harley but because of quality craftsmanship

Harley, Ducati, Honda, Suzuki, Aprilla......all made in TAIWAN :D:D:D

spd579
10-02-2007, 04:35 AM
thanks guys, I guess I have more problems in the cold due to the Blast not being fuel injected. I wasnt trying to say Buell's are bad bikes just putting out what I've had from my blast which i know is a completly different bike

mezap
10-10-2007, 01:45 AM
Harley, Ducati, Honda, Suzuki, Aprilla......all made in TAIWAN

ummm....you do know that japan and taiwan are not the same place, right?

...and that some of those bikes are kinda italian and stuff, right?

...dude? (j/k)

2Evil4U
10-10-2007, 08:45 PM
i think the blast actually has an electric choke.

mrdozer2you
10-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Harley, Ducati, Honda, Suzuki, Aprilla......all made in TAIWAN

sorry, I meant all the parts are made there :D:D:D

You know, manufactured by 12 year olds, just like NIKE