PDA

View Full Version : 1125R good choice for a first bike?

BucBrew
02-08-2010, 01:58 AM
So that is the question. I recently decided to learn to ride and took the local MSF course. In addition to that I have some experience on my friends 07 CBR600RR. I was busy shopping CL for a bike and stumbled across an 08 Buell 1125R. The bike is basically new (less than 100 miles). I really like the looks, but I am wondering if a liter bike is a good choice for someone as novice as I am. I have no urge to track the bike what so ever. I am a decent sized guy 6'0 185lbs and I want something that will fit me well. The CBR is ok, but honestly not as comfortable as it could be. I think Buells are gorgeous bikes, I just am not sure if the big Buell is a good choice for me at my current riding level. I am 30 so there’s no doing 150 on the freeway and splitting traffic in my future. I want something reliable and with good handling for driving around town.

funnythebunny
02-08-2010, 02:10 AM
You're kidding right? The 1125R is NOT a starter bike for anyone regardless of age. And if you're thinking you "won't" be trying to race it every once in awhile, you've definitely not mature enough. Be aware that Buells are no longer in production, so parts will begin to be hard to find in a couple of years... just my 2 cents...

brightbuell
02-08-2010, 02:21 AM
I say get a xb12r firebolt. Start off driving it real easy. You will get comfortable with it, with in a month. Make sure you adjust the suspention as the book says for you weight. Have fun. You wont have a need for an 1125. Not by the way you describe yourself. I have a firebolt xb12r and it is as much as I will ever need. It has plenty of torque with out the uncontrollable HP serges, to pull your ass around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3aUObJIEnM

BuddhaBuell
02-08-2010, 02:21 AM
if you want to have a great bike and your days of tearing up the freeway @ 150mph are past you then maybe one of the XB's would more suited for you, fantastic handleing, tons of torque and a more relaxed riding position...
I am 6'2" @ 205# and ride a XB9sx with no comfort problems...

http://www.facebook.com/VIMMA.BootCamp.ca?v=app_2392950137&ref=profile#!/video/video.php?v=336539915402

aside from that edjamacate yourself aboot everything Buell..
welcome to the best Buell forum out there and when you decide which one your getting, post pics [up]
:)

brightbuell
02-08-2010, 02:25 AM
Here is another vid of a Firebolt. Just to show you how the chicks dig it.:D:D:D

Oh yea, and welcome. It you get a Buell this will be your second home. This is the best Buell site ever. i learn so much here. Its great. Every one here help everbody else save time and money with there combined knowlege.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pz6F50RFyA

BucBrew
02-08-2010, 02:59 AM
Wow funnythebunny I think your reply was pretty dickish. Thanks for the welcome to the forum. Thankfully you have my maturity level (and everyone elses) all figured out. Good to know.

As for everyone elses replies I appreciate them. Being new to riding is fairly daunting with all the bike options and choices out there. I am always glad to find a well informed supportive community. I will look into the XB12R. I liked the reviews of the 1125R because they mentioned this being the first Buell with a different engine and it is liquid cooled?

theoctopus
02-08-2010, 03:13 AM
BucBrew, it would be very unwise for you to start out with an 1125. I got myself into all sorts of trouble with my first bike, and it was only a 650.

You're the only one who knows what you can handle, but for what it's worth, I wouldn't even suggest starting out on an 1125 to someone who has YEARS of off-road riding under their belt. It's just not a good choice.

Dick or not, funnythebunny makes a good point.

BuddhaBuell
02-08-2010, 03:18 AM
Buc, check out mod Stevenc150 profile it has a ton of links, saves some time when your searching for something..[up]

brightbuell
02-08-2010, 03:39 AM
As far as the water cooled. You might want to know the firebolt might be oil colled but it also has an oil radiator and oil in the swing arm wich keeps it a lot coller then a Harley. Plus it has a cooling fan that kicks on and off as needed. You can also add a right side scoop to cool it even farther. I will never sell my firebolt. Its a keeper for life. There a lot of buell owners who feel the same way.

torreytyler
02-08-2010, 04:04 AM
If you like the looks of a naked rocket..go for the firebolt. If you think that you can take it easy on the 1125 until you get used to it..more power to you. Money IS an issue nowadays. If you think that you're just going to upgrade to the 1125 anyway, save yourself some money and get it now. I learned how to ride on a Ninja 250. The first bike I bought was a GSXR 750 when I was 17. I learned a lot about the good and bad of having a bike that goes fast. You'll discover your limitations quickly, just respect the power that it has.

Scheusal
02-08-2010, 04:19 AM
Buc I was pretty much in your shoes 4 months ago. I'm 34 so the urge to be really stupid has mostly passed my by. I bought a xb12scg for my first bike and am very happy with it. I haven't come close to pushing the limits of that bike. The firebolt has a more aggressive riding position compared to the xb otherwise they are virtually the same bike, with some minor differences. I really don't see you regretting not getting the 1125. Guys, please feel free to correct me if i'm mistaken about any of this (bit of a noob here). Just trying to help the guy out.

afinley
02-08-2010, 04:20 AM
I disagree with everyone. If you want it, buy it. If you don't think you're gonna race it, then you won't. All sorts of people get all twisted up on thier first bikes, regardless of the size. Yes, you will get in much much much more trouble when that day comes if you're out there trying to be Mr. MotoGP on it. But, if you're just commuting and having some fun, it doesn't matter how fast it is.

I had the same dilema (although not for my first bike) and I rode both; I think Firebolts handle better, cost less, have more parts, are cheaper to insure, aren't as bulky, and sound 10x better. Every now and then I wish I had more power, but then again, I also go 140 on the freeway. So, to each their own.

For what its worth, the only reason I was between an 1125 and an XB was that the 1125 was water cooled and I had riden an XB in the summer before. The 1125 was just as hot to me.

afinley
02-08-2010, 04:23 AM
And to Scheusal:

No, the Firebolt and the 1125 are different bikes. The Firebolt is an XB. The Lightning is an XB12S(s)(cg) and the Firebolt is an XB12R. The 1125 is a totally different bike. It also has the same frame/gas tank section, but the rest is different.

hula Buell
02-08-2010, 07:05 AM
Get it.Just take it easy and work your way into it.Remember its powerful and fast.Whtch you tube motorcycle crash videos before you go hot roddin!!!

RT Performance
02-08-2010, 07:15 AM
Bucbrew
146 hp bike is ALLOT
and why buy Cl when you can get them from a Dealer for 6500-7500 OTD if your not in cali with a full 2 year warranty
I would point you toward a xb9 if you like sitting more up right and driving mostly around town a Cityx
Mchenry in illnios has a demo 2004 couple hunderd miles for 3995 and tax and it has never been titled.
if you haven't seen this yet.
buell locater is here
http://www.buell.com/en_us/tools/find-a-bike/index.asp?source_cd=Email_0122909_BuellNL&camp_id=16

03Firebolt9R
02-08-2010, 10:02 AM
I have an XB9R Firebolt and an 1125CR and you can get into trouble on both if you ride like an idiot. Same goes for the other side of the coin. If you ride responsibly and respect it, you will be fine with either. Get whatever suits you best. We all learned to crawl before we walked and walked before we ran. Just my .02 cents.

I can also say, since buying the CR last October, I have ridden the Firebolt twice. The 1125 is that good.

80rs427
02-08-2010, 12:11 PM
I agree with most of what has been said. It would be best to start out with a less powerful bike, but hopefully with your age comes a certain amount of self control.

You might consider taking one of the rider courses just to give you some insights into general safety issues.

Kidder
02-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Get a Suzuki Sv650S. Great bike, lots of aftermarket support.

dustin_usmc1
02-08-2010, 01:18 PM
I'm with afinley, buy the bike that you want. My first bike is my 08 XB12S. A lot of people told me to start off with something smaller, but I got the bike I wanted. As long as you take it easy and learn your bike and your limits before you open it up, I don't see the problem.

paulr
02-08-2010, 02:10 PM
I think I may have some insight. I'm 22 (yes, young and somewhat dumb) and have a xb9sx and 1125cr, both sides of the fence. I won't lie, I've done everything from splitting cars at 110+ to "separating myself" from you know who at speeds that promise bad health. Now with that being said, I did start ridn at 12 on a dirtbike and crashd it a lot, so I had some exp bfore i bought my xb. i rode that for a wile and bought my cr bout two months ago and have nuthn but a blast wen i get on it. Great bike! ive gotten the stupid outa my system and actually am now a BRC coach. I love ridn and my ability to walk, plus i paid too much money for this thing to be stupid on it. Long story short.......Get what you want. If you take it slow, anything is possible. I do agree though with the gents above though, an xb12r is more than enough for anyone. Hell I want one.

Buellysses
02-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Bucbrew: Welcome to the forum, always glad to have a new poster. You will have to excuse some of the non polite posters, for the most part the people on this site are pleasant, knowledgeable, and happy to answer any questions. Just try to use the search function before asking questions, some of the questions get posted have been answered many many times over.

Now, to answer your question... The bike you get is nothing more then a personal preference. The only thing you can do is ride the bike to see what feels right. If you are just puttering around town you may not even like the riding stance of the 1125r (or the xb12r), it's a pretty aggressive stance.

Riding safely is all about knowing your ability, and not doing stupid stuff. The majority of the people that hurt themselves do it while attempting to do something stupid or something that is beyond THEIR capability as a rider.

Does the 1125 have a ****-ton of power? Yeah, it does. Would it be really easy to get yourself into a bad situation in a big hurry? Most certainly. If you use your head all the time is the 1125 "too much bike"? No.

Whatever you get, make sure you take the time to learn your bike.

sportbikermed
02-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Buc: A few months back I was kinda in your shoes. I just started riding & months ago. I bought a '97 ninja 600. Wasn't much bike for my size (6'2" 240#) but I had never rode anything with 2 wheels and an engine before. I loved riding but wasn't comfortable on the bike. After looking at every brand bike in sizes from 750-1200 and after much research and debating between the 1125 and the XB12 I decided on the 1125R and I haven't regretted my decision for a minute. It handles so much better than the 600 ninja did and because of that I feel more comfortable laying in a curve and have learned a l ot on the bike. I took it very easy at first and still do somewhat in comparison to what the bike will actually do. It's a comfortable ride for me and I do mostly in town riding. I've never rode the XB but if the quality is anything like the 1125 (and I'm sure it is) I think you would be happy with either bike. Just take your time to get familiar with whatever you get and don't try to ride above your limits. Best of luck to you and happy riding.

nativeXb12Rbuell
02-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Welcome to the forum. .. +1 buelysses and most every other poster here. every one will have a bit of a different opinion, whether good or bad, or if you, or anyone else likes it or not. ride it first or at least sit on it talk to other owners here look at the XB too. also think about your riding skills and abilities and know what your limits are and dont exceded them. also i got to say think about the cost of insurance payments, loan cost, and most of all the cost to repair it WHEN (NOT IF) you lay the bike down , because it will happen SOONER OR LATER , no matter what you think or others may tell you it hasn't happen to them, because it will. even if its when think your in complete control or even sitting at a stop light, or whatever. it your chioce in the end just make it a smart, well informed decision, like it sounds your trying to do .

browland
02-08-2010, 06:54 PM

[down]:(

BucBrew
02-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Hey, great replies everyone. I am going to check out some XB12R's and a XB12s (lightning?). I want to stay within my limits for sure, if the 1125 R is not there then maybe one day I can graduaet to it. There are soo many options out there. If I end up with a japaneese sport bike it will most likely be a CBR600RR. I also am talking to a guy selling an Aprilla 750 Shiver, which looks pretty sweet. I am sure some of these bikes will simply not fit me, so I am going on looks and reliability reports online for now.

Just curious, the 1125R I was looking at was a 2008 with undre 50 miles on it for $6500. I checked KBB and I am thinking maybe it is not such a great deal I thouhgt it was.

Buellysses
02-08-2010, 07:30 PM

[down][sad]

Yeah, I wasn't going to touch that one. Just assumed "Kidder" forgot which forum he was on. ;)

Buellysses
02-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Buc;
Not sure how many of them are out there still (there was a link to check dealership stock) a bunch of 09 and 10 new ones out there for $6900

bpd5002
02-08-2010, 07:41 PM
just my opinion but if you're not taking it to the track... more fun to go fast on a slow bike than slow on a fast bike

i guess that would work better if the XBs were slow.. you get the idea though...

afinley
02-08-2010, 08:32 PM
If you want it, I would not count on getting an 1125 in the future. You do know the company is out of business, right? Because of that you can get new ones dirt cheap right now, and I wouldn't count on being able to score one down the road.

paulr
02-08-2010, 08:39 PM
id get the 09. the 08s had a few bugs. most have been work out but the 09s are the premiere bikes of buell.[up];)

wiznut
02-08-2010, 08:45 PM
So many people out there say to start out with a small bike, but imo, it all depends on you as the rider. My XB12S was/is my first bike and I have enjoyed the hell out of it. The bike will definetly do more stuff than I ask it to, but that is the entire point. If you ride a fast bike like a scooter, you will be safe... if you ride a scooter like you're Mr. pro-racer, you're gunna get hurt... it doesnt matter the bike you're on, it just matters how you ride it.

Personally, before I got my bike, I saw this video and right then decided how I was going to ride my bike.... like it had 50cc's!
(graphic warning)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud1tmTJNsk0&NR=1

Kidder
02-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Guys, I didn't forget which forum I was on.

I'm not going to recommend a Buell just because we're on a Buell-specific forum.

You guys can give all the bad advice you want. And, boy, is there a lot of it.

Midnight82
02-08-2010, 10:11 PM
I agree with afinley.

You control the bike, the bike doesn't control you. If you like the 1125, buy it. You can pretty much steal them now.

Secondly, if you want to ride slow, just don't to wrist snaps with your throttle hand.

Leanring to ride a bike is going to be a challenge on any bike you pick. The key is to know your limits and take it easy.

Just because the bike you want CAN go 150mph doesn't mean you have to.

nativeXb12Rbuell
02-08-2010, 10:22 PM
one more thing to consider is if you get any BUELL , you will stand out [up][up]
and you will have a very unique motorcycle, totally different from all others, and you won't look like EVERY single other Crouch Rocket out there ..

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1714_20100208161754_L.jpg

Thorivola
02-09-2010, 03:56 AM
Guys, I didn't forget which forum I was on.

I'm not going to recommend a Buell just because we're on a Buell-specific forum.

I actually agree with Kidder, the SV650 is plenty of bike for both learning on and for in-town riding. I have a 1979 Honda CX500 that I love to play around on, mostly because it costs me about $70 a year to keep it insured and they are rock solid engines.

But anyway, in my personal opinion the Blast is the only thing I would hand over to a new rider. I rode a CBR600F1 for a while, it had some performance work on it and stuff so it was probably on par with the carburated F4s out now for power, and they are very forgiving in the clutch and revs because they have such a long range. Riding a V-twin and an I-4 are very different experiences.

Anyway, bottom line to this post is: the SV650 is an amazing starter bike for the bucks you have to put into it. I wish I had bought one of those instead of going right to my XB12R because I have gotten myself into some trouble that I probably could have avoided if I owned the Suzuki in the middle. There is no shame in admitting that other companies make good motorcycles, even if they are Japanese.

AND an SV650 can be picked up in great shape with just 1-3k miles on it for around 3.5k. They have plenty they can teach you, and I'd say it's a better choice than any Buell for your first bike. The rev range just makes it much more forgiving, especially if you're new on it and a little timid to push it hard when you're starting off a line.

Just my feelings, having recently (within last 2 years) moved up in the displacement standings.

racepro716
02-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Buc... you're gonna get the bike you want anyway so just go get it. That being said, you have no business what so ever having it as a first bike. Have you any idea how fast this thing is or how fast it can and will get you in trouble? It makes what? around 150HP, weighs around 400 lbs? Think about that, a 5.0 litre mustang makes what...250 weighs 4000 lbs (just guessing) the 1125 makes half the HP but the car is TEN times the weight! This bike will easily do zero to 60 by the time you get across a 4 lane intersection. Ya, you say you can control yourself, but as a first bike you can't control it. Consider yourself warned, use your head and good luck. Wayne

03Firebolt9R
02-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Did I miss where he asked for opinions on SV650's?

So that is the question. I recently decided to learn to ride and took the local MSF course. In addition to that I have some experience on my friends 07 CBR600RR. I was busy shopping CL for a bike and stumbled across an 08 Buell 1125R. The bike is basically new (less than 100 miles). I really like the looks, but I am wondering if a liter bike is a good choice for someone as novice as I am. I have no urge to track the bike what so ever. I am a decent sized guy 6'0 185lbs and I want something that will fit me well. The CBR is ok, but honestly not as comfortable as it could be. I think Buells are gorgeous bikes, I just am not sure if the big Buell is a good choice for me at my current riding level. I am 30 so there’s no doing 150 on the freeway and splitting traffic in my future. I want something reliable and with good handling for driving around town.

nativeXb12Rbuell
02-09-2010, 05:01 PM
+1 racepro716 [up]
it's like having your very first car a supercar or even a high HP sports car, it can be too dangerous for someone who does not have the right amount and type of experience .thats why traffic crashes are the leading cause of death(37%) for teenagers in America. Mile for mile, teenagers are involved in three times as many fatal crashes as all other drivers that from NHTSA. Inexperience is the #1 reason why . and motorcycle is something you need lots of experience on, to be able to do it right and well, & perfect and SAFE.

and starter or first bike and a fast high HP (superbike type or close too) they all are TOTALLY Different BEASTS .and they deserve the right type of rider and a rider of different levels of Experience.

brightbuell
02-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Yes, the 09 firebolts. No bugs, and no 2nd o2 sensor.

No_import4me
02-09-2010, 07:30 PM
buc
i would agree with some of the post here. my first bike was cbr600 tons of fun and now i have a xb12r lot more torque but still fun to drive. there are some days i wish i still had my cbr but i am happy with my decision to get my xb12r. it's ultimately up to you on what you want to ride so make the right decision and not something you will regret later. take a bike for a test ride before you decide if you can.

cronus1987
02-09-2010, 07:41 PM
in the end you're going to get what you want, so i wont try to preach about absolutely not doing this or absolutely doing that, but i will try to offer some insight from my standpoint.

The primary thing you want in a first bike is something that you won't be afraid to ride. Now, some people are not afraid of things they should be and that's (IMO) what leads to a lot of beginner mistakes. If you start on something like a ninja 250 you won't be afraid to push your limits on it like you would be if you've got 140hp between your legs (you know what i mean!). you make a small mistake on a 250, no big deal deal. Make the same mistake on an 1125r and you may just total your new bike and land in the hospital in a coma.

Not to scare you, i'm just trying to put it in perspective...

That being said. I started on a Buell XB9R two years ago and haven't regretted it in the least. THAT being said, an xb9r isn't going to power wheelie coming out of a corner or unleash hellish amounts of power when you least expect it; it's a pushrod v-twin, so it's pretty predictable.

Like i said, i bought it two years ago when i was right out of the MSF course. I commute on it every single day, it's been down a few pretty crazy roads, i've ridden it through mountains, i've ridden it 300 miles in a day and it's been virtually problem free for the entire 20k miles i've put on it. IMO for a level headed, mature person it's a great bike to start on and ride forever.

rolltide42
02-09-2010, 07:56 PM
I agree with who ever said the SV 650 thats a great bike for beginers. Its light, handles well, and is cheap so that WHEN a novice rider drops it their not out much. Ideally your first bike would be a dirt bike, but it sounds like your interested in going straight to a street bike. The 1125 just seems like a lot to start off with.

johnmichael
02-15-2010, 12:54 PM
I learned how to ride a street bike on a Honda 929. It's all pretty basic, if you roll hard on the throttle you go fast if you don't then you wont. There probably is "bad, good, the best" bike to learn on, but in my experience you either belong on a bike or you don't and only you can determine that. I would say buy that 1125, find an area to get a little comfortable with it and then build on that experience. :p

delta one
02-15-2010, 04:22 PM
the only problem I see with the whole deal is that all the good intentions in the world mean nothing when the bike gets out of shape. panic changes a lot and a big bike with lots of power can make a bad situation worse in a heartbeat.

its one thing to know what you should do and what you really do when everything goes south.

when a car nearly hits you the clutch slips a bit and the front tire comes up 140 hp vs 80hp make a big difference in how long you have to react and get the bike back under control. the weight makes a difference too. the torque of these engines make it even more dramatic compared to the smaller inline 4s.

I always recommend small parallel twins to my friends who start to ride. I hear that the ninja 650 is a nice bike to start on.

but with all that said its your body and your money spend it where you like.

whatever you do BE CAREFUL WEAR ALL YOUR GEAR AND LOOK OUT FOR CARS

and welcome. :D

ps in an ideal world you could get the 1125 or any other buell and an el cheapo Craigslist bike for a grand or so and ride the cheep bike till the wheels fall off or 5,000 miles whatever happens first and get rid of it with the buell waiting for you. (and maybe sneak off on it once or twice while you learn the ropes.) it doesn't hurt as much to drop a cheep ugly bike you don't care about but when your baby goes down it leaves a scar.

jeshua
02-15-2010, 04:35 PM
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned and the reason I got a Buell for my first bike. If I could have waited 1-2 years from now to upgrade from a smaller bike to a Buell I would have. But with Harley stopping production of Buell I didn't have that option any more. So I got the bike I wanted before I couldn't get one. Yes I know I might drop my new bike and break it as a beginner, I know its more bike then I can handle. But I love it and I can grow into it, every time I get on her I reminded my self to take it easy and ride at my level.

delta one
02-15-2010, 05:32 PM
that is a very valid point Jeshua.

that is why ideally a learner bike could be found for a grand or so (with all the savings on Buells right now I don't see why; if you were in the market for a full priced bike, a cheep one couldn't be picked up to learn on and drop.) learn on it and keep the Buell in the stable until you are ready.

if you cant afford a cheep learner bike (I saw a 400 Kawasaki for $600 that ran just fine) on the side repairs when you drop your buell will be just as hard.

Kidder
02-16-2010, 03:06 AM
Did I miss where he asked for opinions on SV650's?

Yes, you did.

If you read the last few sentences of his post (which you quoted) he said:
"The CBR is ok, but honestly not as comfortable as it could be. I think Buells are gorgeous bikes, I just am not sure if the big Buell is a good choice for me at my current riding level. I am 30 so there’s no doing 150 on the freeway and splitting traffic in my future. I want something reliable and with good handling for driving around town."

The SV650 fits all of those requirements. It's a very versatile bike that can be used for commuting, canyon carving, club racing, etc.

Buellysses
02-16-2010, 05:05 AM
Honestly, my first bike was going to be an SV650. The only reason I didn't buy it was a money issue. I was in college, they had really just come out and I couldn't afford the price tag. I just wanted one because of the looks, and it seemed like a nice bike.

I ended up buying a 5 year old YZF600. It was a lot cheaper to buy, and I only had to carry liability insurance on it. It was the first street bike I had ever been on, and the first time I had ever been over 40mph on a bike. There is no difference between crashing going 100mph on an 1125, crashing going 100mph on a SV650, or crashing doing 100mph on a rocket. The bottom line is buy something that fits you, and respect the damn thing.

And I apologize if my comment about being on the wrong forum offended you. It was meant as a joke.

triple7
02-16-2010, 05:15 AM
That video was insane. I cant get that pic of that guy out of my head.:(

Alfatango1
02-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Here's my two cents: I started riding about the same age as you, never rode a motorcycle before. I raced cars in SCCA and vintage racing so I had some knowledge of performance handling although different it applies. I took the safety class with 30 others. We all passed but the instructor said that only me and another guy should be on the freeway right away. The other guy had been riding without a license for over 20 years. My first bike was 916 cc. I've only crashed once on a public road and it was when a guy came out of parking lot and didn't see me and hit me. I drive fast now and then but not crazy, I respect traffic and assume everyone is blind and will not see me so I pay attention. It's been 14 years now and I'm glad about my decision but it boils down to your maturity level and confidence.

Bolt
02-21-2010, 09:58 PM
there's enough info for bucbrew to figure it out-but while were all disagreeing ,did he run out &buy a rice burner?

firebolt020283
02-22-2010, 01:08 PM
I Have only owned 4 street bikes in my life though I have been riding on the dirt far longer. My first street bike was a xb9r I loved that bike to death(wish I still had it and that is why I bought another one) my second was a ninja zx9r, third a m2 cyclone, fourth is my new(to me) xb9r. I have to say that starting out with a dirt bike before owning any one of those 4 bikes was a great thing. I would never recomend to anyone to go out and buy a big cc bike to start out with ever.

I would recomend like others have said get the buell you want and stick in your garage and buy a little cheap beater bike to start out with and ride the heck out of it then when you feel really comfortable on the beater bike and feel like you are ready for the buell then start riding it.

you dont want to mess up your good bike learning to ride and making a big mistake.

also just putting this out the but if you ask MOST stunt riders what they use to practice with and learn how to do stuff with they will tell you a dirt bike not a big street bike that they use in the shows.

redliner172
03-16-2010, 11:43 PM
Mine is an 08 with EVERYTHING taken care of. If you get an 08, have the take care of all recalls, bulletins and updates. I know of when here in Texas for 4995 with 7,000 miles. All updates taken care of. Once all the updates are done it basically turns into a 2009 LMAO. Minus the insulated tank of course.

kalifornia
03-17-2010, 12:44 AM
its the "around town" part that concerns me. when I think of around town riding a Buell will cook you alive. Buell my last choice for around town riding.

redliner172
03-17-2010, 01:08 AM
The 08's can be found cheaper and the recalls, bulletins and updates are done for free. A LOT of people started on liter bikes like myself and had great success. The ones you DO NOT want learning on a liter bike are the super young kids who want to stunt on the highway with no gear on. You are 30, old enough to make your own decisions. All you need is common sense and good throttle control.

cheezits
03-27-2010, 03:02 PM
how are you? i'm pretty new here too. I havent had a chance to get on my new 1125R yet. but i have done a great deal of reserch befor buying mine. i had a harley for years befor i picked mine up. i had nealry 10 grand extra into my bike with an unhealthy amount of HP for a harley. i would normaly agree with some of the guys saying stick with somehting alittle less powerfull. but then again my brother started out with an xb9 set up for the track so anything is possible. BUT with these bikes no longer being built you wont get many other chance. so it comes down to what you really want. Good luck on your choice :) if you are close to Camp Le juene hit me up in a few weeks.

Only 4 days befor i am back on US soil!!!

redliner172
03-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Hopefully Buc you just got the 1125R in spite of what everyone is saying. What you learn to ride on is your business and it shouldnt matter what anyone else thinks at all, including myself. If you wanna learn on a Ducati 1098 then have at it. Good luck and happy riding.

Jabaniz
03-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Where I live the kids here get 600's, 900's 1000's whatever is there choice, one thing remains, if you are gonna crash a bike i don't think it matters if its a 600 or an 1100, they crash the same, i saw a guy at the dealership drive off in a brand new 250 ninja and dumped it in the parking lot of the dealership.

so i say get what you want drive smart.

redliner172
03-27-2010, 04:20 PM
ouch....how embarassing!

Jabaniz
03-27-2010, 04:25 PM
ouch....how embarassing!

Haha yah it was classic, the next time i went in there the salesman told me now they have to scuff up the tires on new bikes so they arent so slick.

redliner172
03-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Yeah man, those 7 lbs of torque will get you when you grab too much throttle. haha

JohnD
04-14-2010, 04:37 PM
BucBrew,

You should have no problem with a 1125r. Just ride with the proper attitude or you will get yourself in trouble no matter what you start on.

I started with motorcycle school and then bought a big 1700cc Yamaha (now call Star) Road Star. I traded that in on an even bigger Royal Star. Then bought a Triumph Daytona 1200SE (still have) and then an '08 Kawasaki Concours 14. Every one is big or bigger.

This week I bought an '08 1125r. It is the easiest of all my bikes to ride because it is lightweight and handles so well. IMO the ability to easily balance and maneuver a motorcycle is what makes it easy and safe to ride and the 1125r has this in spades.

agfish18
04-14-2010, 04:40 PM
welcome to the forum, johnd. post some pics!

redliner172
04-14-2010, 05:19 PM
lol yeah, light compared to those cruisers....congrats on the buy though, you wont be disappointed.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL UPDATES AND RECALLS TAKEN CARE OF, CAUSE THERE WERE A FEW. chances are they havent been taken care of. For a list just PM me and I will tell you.

JohnD
04-15-2010, 04:02 AM
Redliner172,

Thanks, but I read about the recalls before I bought the '08 1125r (With about 120 miles from a Ducati dealer. The first owner had received the bike from his company as a reward, but had his heart set on a special Ducati race bike for something like $60,000. They said he has several bikes and more money than sense. Not just a story because the dealer showed me one of this guy's other expensive Ducati race bikes that he used for track days and was in the shop for servicing. Maybe in my next life!).

So I got the VIN# and called a HD dealer to check on the recalls. Was told there were three on my bike and all three had been done.