PDA

View Full Version : advice please

slwglide
09-27-2007, 11:20 PM
I have a 2007 xb12r it has 1650 miles on it and the rear tire won't hold air. I looked over the tire and can see no nails, screws, holes or defects. I am afraid to take it to the local dealer, because I will not see the bike for who knows how long,I don't trust them to be honest about the problem and the area i live in seems to be shy on mechanical type people. No other shops will look at it without just replacing the tire do to insurance reasons...blah blah blah. So before I dump this bike that I just love to ride and by some 5 year old jap bike does anyone have any idea what I should do?

Das Bolt
09-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Bad seal between the rim and tire?Swab some soapy water along the rim where it meets the tire and look for bubbles.Check any place else on the tire you suspect this way too. Better to replace the tire if its questionable.

His_and_Her_Buells
09-27-2007, 11:55 PM
Do the soapy water thing Das Bolt suggested. valve stem could also be suspect. I think it would be pretty foolish to get rid of a bike that you love for a problem that can happen to any bike that comes equipped with wheels and tires:p.

slwglide
09-28-2007, 03:53 AM
I will try the soapy water around the rim and valve stem. Thanks

I think it would be pretty foolish to get rid of a bike that you love for a problem that can happen to any bike that comes equipped with wheels and tires.

I agree it would be silly. I traded a 94 HD for a Buell because I just want to ride. I was tired of dealing with the dealer and read about the buells reliability. I never beat on the bike and here I am right back at the dealer.I understand it could have happened to any bike. Maybe I'm just hoping at least one dealer out there can get a bike part in a reasonable amount of time. I repair robots, even with the amount of them being much less than any make of bike on the road around here. I can get just about any part overnight. For some reason bike parts always take 5 to 7 days. I even offered to get the f*&^%ing tire for them and they said they won't mount any tire they don't supply. I hope some day buell will seperate from HD and try to cater to its customers a little better. Until then I may just consider some other brand.

His_and_Her_Buells
09-28-2007, 12:13 PM
I had the same problem when my wifes former blast needed a tire. I searched around and found a shop (not a dealer, just an any make motorcycle mechanic) that got me the tire next day for $20 higher than my cheapest internet price and only charge $20 to mount it if I took it off the bike ($40 if I took the whole bike in). Have you tried to find someone in your area like that?

slwglide
09-28-2007, 11:47 PM
Yes I have tried a local mechanic I found thru a coworker. After riding the bike home I pulled the front calipers to see why I had a grinding noise in them.I found one of the pads in backward. I bought a jack right after that and did everything myself. I traded the bike because it was hard to find the time to repair the bike myself.

Thanks for replying to my post. Its helped me realize that I am only wasting time mine and others, I should be finding a way to jack up my bike instead. I