PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Pazzo "Long" levers.

Baal
02-10-2010, 04:49 AM
Apologies in advance if you also read this...elsewhere.

I have a question for folks who've installed Pazzo "Long" levers, specifically about the distance to the bar on the brake side.

As background, the number settings are reversed on the OE and the Pazzo levers. On the OEs, 1 is farthest, 5 is closest, on the Pazzos, 1 is closest. It's also important to mention that these observations are after a fresh bleed on the front brakes. I tapped on the line, the MC, and the caliper to try to coax out any trapped air. I also bled with the bars turned to each side.

I'm finding that the brake lever is much closer to the bar than I expect. The #4 setting on the Pazzo is equivalent to the #5 setting (closest) on the OE. So, #1-3 are all closer to the bar than the closest OE position. With the lever set at #3, I can pull it into contact with any fingers I leave on the bar. With it set at either #1 or #2, I can pull it into contact with the grip itself. This is one-handed, not a two-fisted gorilla grip. To be fair, on #3, I'd probably lock the brake by the time I hit my hand, but I know I can't get that close on any other bike I've owned.

So, owners of XBs with Pazzo LONG levers, tell me: How close can you pull the brake lever with it set at the "closer" setting?

okey
02-10-2010, 08:56 AM
i just picked mine up from a service in which i was meant to have the front brake line recall done.when i picked up the bike the arseholes told me they didnt do the recall and i'd have to bring it back.I was so pissed off that i didn't pay attention to the fact that the oil changer/spiller every****inwhere moved my pazzo long brake lever so close to the bar that i could touch the grip and not stop with as much power.I immediately thought they had done a bleed and ****ed up again until i remembered they were harley dickheads and didn't do what they said would be "no problem".Baal you have an identical issue as i have and you can put it down to the lever i would say. i can touch the grip with setting "1" .My normal setting is 4

Baal
02-11-2010, 04:22 AM
Thanks, okey. [up] What year/model is your bike? I ask, because I don't know about a brake line recall.

okey
02-11-2010, 08:14 AM
its an 09 XB12Ss Baal ,The recall stipulates that the brake line may potentially rub through on the tyre.
mine cant reach the tyre but has rubbed a little paint off the inside of the right fork.They move the line from the inside of the fork to the outside and change the mounting clip on the fork to keep it held futher away.

funnythebunny
02-11-2010, 11:43 AM
I can't speak for the long levers, but my shorty levers don't touch the grips at 1. Even then, I only need two fingers on the brake lever... I learned the hard way what happens when you grab a fistful of brakes with the oem levers; the reason why I switched to pazzo shortys. I keep both levers at 1, since I have smaller hands than the factory designed the oem levers for.

Baal
02-12-2010, 05:58 PM
It's kind of funny. I got my levers from PJ's Parts (great folks, BTW). PJ said he'd sold a fair number of levers to Buell owners. I asked if they had all been shortys. He thought for a minute, and he didn't remember anyone but me getting longs. So, the issue appears to be limited to those.