PDA

View Full Version : Buell Fuel Injected Chopper/Bobber Tuning

hebejoshing
02-11-2010, 04:39 AM
Ok yeah I'm a newbie here. I have a 2003 XB9R engine on my bike I just built. I kept it fuel injected because carbs suck on dependability. I have open exhaust with baffles(Hooker Troublemakers) along with a open Forcewinder intake. The only things not buell on the fuel injection system are the injectors, fuel pump, and the intake. They are all off a 07/08 sportster fuel injection system. I have a TwinTech tuner on it and yes it runs. It leans out the rear cylinder towards higher rpms. I don't want to take it to Buell to pay out the ass to have them tune it plus they don't know what all has been done with the bike/engine. Ive already been bitched out by the daytona twintech tuner about taking the vertical intake and making it horizontal and for having a open intake and exhaust. I understand that I will lose a few HP but I'm not that devastated. I just want to get it tuned so that it can run as it should in the application I have it in. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to use to do this. Ive read a lot of good things about Spyecm but don't know enough to pursue it. Thanks, Josh

By the way some day I hope to build a different bike and leave the Buell EFI system on it and modify the bike around the engine.null

hebejoshing
02-11-2010, 05:16 AM
Here are some pics.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5949_20100210231344_L.jpg

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5949_20100210231312_L.jpg

hebejoshing
02-24-2010, 01:07 AM
Bump

Urban_Assault
02-24-2010, 01:29 AM
Hey Josh,

I believe the EFI system on a Sportster is much different than a Buell.

I don't think ECMSpy will work unless you use the Buell ECM. You didn't specifically say it, but you implied that it's a Buell ECM. If so, we should be able to hook you up.

It'll be a little different to tune because the injectors might be a different flow rate, etc... But a good tuner can compensate for that. You just won't be able to use an out-of-the-box fuel map, it'll definitely need to be custom.

Where are you located? There might be someone nearby that can help you out.

-Tim

konarider94
02-24-2010, 01:32 AM
you need to get yourself a cable to plug into the buell harness. i hope you kept the socket that was on the buell harness. check out this thread for ecmspy tuning information. if you got rid of the socket because you didnt know what it was for idk how you will communicate with the ecm. it is a 4 pin socket.

you can buy a cable here. http://xoptiinside.com/buell_store

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/ECMspy-megalog-tunning

hebejoshing
02-24-2010, 02:00 AM
The only wires i cut off were the ones for lighting. And yes i did keep the buell ecm. Everything is buell electronically but the injectors and fuel pump. Im in Rochester, IN but im also in FortWayne, IN half the time.

Thanks and im going to order that cable now.

hebejoshing
02-24-2010, 03:02 AM
Anybody close with some knowledge on this programimg I would really appreciate it. I have basic knowledge of it.

Thanks Josh

konarider94
02-24-2010, 03:16 AM
i know there are some people familiar with the system on here but i am not very familiar yet, so i cant really help much more. i hope to be familiarizing myself this spring. i have reset my tps and checked for trouble codes and looked at my maps but thats as far as i got.

johnye75
04-14-2010, 04:52 AM
Hi "hebejoshing". I just saw your post and made me very curious as I am building a custom bobber using a 09 Buell xb12s engine and I have few questions I hope you can answer. Sorry,I don't have an answer to your original question.

Did you use the original harness to fire up the engine? What other parts did you use, for example voltage regulator?, oil cooler?, fuel pump regulator?

Which sensors did you connecto to and which one did you skip?

How did you make the vertical intake horizontal and what makes you think that you will loose HP.

Why are people bitching about the straight pipes? Did you use oxygen sensors on each pipe?

Did you figure out how to tune the ECM, I will run into the same issue?

Thanks a lot!

Internet Annoyance
05-10-2013, 02:00 AM
Did this ever get sorted out? I have the same questions for the EFI swap,