PDA

View Full Version : why tps reset?

dmp0001
09-29-2007, 11:13 PM
I have a 03 xb9sl, just moved from illinois to colorado, i put a high flow filter in when i got here to make up for altitude (bike runs great) i've been told i need to reset the tps. what does this do and why would i do it if my bike is running fine? any ideas or comments would be appreciated

Bloose
09-30-2007, 04:07 AM
Basically when your throttle is at idle that is as closed as the throttle blades can be. This essentially is the zero position. But the TPS is sending back slightly more voltage than zero to the computer because the blades are slightly open. When you do a TPS reset you are telling the computer that this is the zero or idle setting. That voltage can vary slightly with time for several reasons. Reasons like wear in the idle stop screw, wear in the TPS, and if the idle has been adjusted at all. Because of these variable a TPS reset is done periodically to insure the computer has a correct and current "zero" reading.

If your bike is running perfect I personally don't see a really good reason to do it. An air filter change would not be a reason to do it. They do recommend it at 10K miles or so. If you can use ECM Spy you can do it yourself.

HTH,
B