PDA

View Full Version : Need help with 07scg oil problems!

ALrider
02-19-2010, 02:50 AM
I bought my xb12scg a couple of weeks ago and I havent had much of a chance to ride it until today. After 20mins of riding I stopped and noticed the air breather mod, already installed when purchased, was blowing out oil. Of course the oil was overfilled, thanks HD dealership in Newnan GA. What bothers me is the oil had a milky paste in it. Like someone dropped a sealant in it or something. I am going to change the oil but I am curious to what the white crap could be? Anyone have any ideas? The bike is sputtering real bad when starting off and I need help in adjusting the engage/disengage point on the lever. I know alot of this has probably already been covered and I am sorry for rehashing it. And will the ECMSPY get rid of the header bluing?

Stevenc150
02-19-2010, 04:10 AM
I am going to change the oil but I am curious to what the white crap could be? Condensation/Moisture in the oil

I need help in adjusting the engage/disengage point on the lever. Grab the service manual via the link at the top of this page. It's for a Firebolt but general maintenance & adjustments will be the same.

And will the ECMSPY get rid of the header bluing? A proper tune would help, don't know that it would solve it entirely though. Best bet would be a cool ceramic coating or header wrap if you can't stand the blue.

When you say it's had the "air breather mod" done, are you referring to the crankcase breather hose reroute OR the main engine air filter? Also how many miles on it?

ALrider
02-19-2010, 11:02 AM
The bike has 12700 miles on it, aftermarket pipe, and the crankcase breather hose reroute. Thanks for the help and I really do appreciate it. With the moisture getting into the oil, is there a reason to panic on it? After I change the oil I will keep a close eye on it but I didnt know if there is a common place that might be letting the moisture in.

funnythebunny
02-19-2010, 11:08 AM
The moisture could be trapped in the oil breather itself... only way to really know is to drain the old oil and re-examine it. Another way of moisure build-up in the oil is by starting the bike for short intervals. Don't start it if you're not riding it; you gotta "burn" the moisture out of the oil, otherwise water vapor droplets that developed when you changed the temp of the oil will just increase, hence the milky oil...

fahren
02-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Winter (do y'all in GA know what that is?) makes water in the oil a more frequent occurence. You get condensation forming on the cold metal, and funny is right - you need to run your bike long enough to vaporize that water. If not vaporized, it will form a sticky sludge in your oil and you don't want that inside the engine. Frequent short rides in winter are hard on a bike for that reason; better to bring it up to temp and burn out the crap.

ALrider
02-19-2010, 02:15 PM
I appreciate all of the advice. I didnt know if it was just from the winter weather or if I might have a problem. Thanks.