PDA

View Full Version : Heads up on new axle sliders

klan52
02-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Just a heads up on a product line I'll Be releasing. So far I have three different style axle sliders that I will be putting into production once my new lathe arrives, shooting for a late april early may release date. Two of the designs are comprised of a solid steel center shaft with machined aluminum ends, and a later model is a solid steel center shaft with delrin plastic ends. All models will feature double thread locking ends, and I am looking into anodizing for the aluminum models. The release price I am looking into staying with should be between $60-$80 usd per set (front and rear), shipped anywhere in the continental united states.

Once all three models are past prototype phase I will post pics and more information as to where to by them. Aswell as, look forward to my line release give away that will include giving away 2 sets of each product to users from this forum.

later products will branch out to frame and engine sliders and other products as I gain the capability to easily produce them.

sorry no pics or farther information now, but wanted to give you all a heads up, and see who all would be interested. Thanks for you're time, any questions just get at me on the forum and look for products coming soon from "S13 Designs"

samiam901
02-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Im interested in seeing your final product. I plan on buying a set before the riding season starts (ohio). Ill wait to see what you come up with.

dave_xb12r
02-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Does a set come with front AND rear pairs or just front OR rear?

klan52
02-26-2010, 06:36 PM
A set will include front and rear, so basically looking at trying to sell them for half the price of other manufacturers. where you at in ohio sam? I'm in south east ohio, hoping to have these released before the season aswell. forgot to mention that once I'm up and running I will be taking custom orders to fit your style and stands.

Bolt
02-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Great! I've been looking for anodized frame sliders for a Buell with airscoops on both sides without hacking up the scoops.

samiam901
02-26-2010, 08:12 PM
Northwest about 30 min west of Toledo. [up] on the custom orders a half pricing. If they turn out like your explaining then you might be on to something here.

xtremelow
02-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Any diagrams to potential look? Straight rod with hollow center, rounded ends...?

Mine which many seem to like.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/520_20090613101511_L.jpg

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/520_20090731114138_L.jpg

ArmyMP09
02-27-2010, 02:05 AM
xtremelow, awsome sliders. Thats exactly what I was going to try to build. I wish somebody would make something like that for a reasonable price. I cant see paying 80+ for axle sliders. Interested to see what your sliders will look like khan

klan52
02-27-2010, 04:04 AM
Yeah I'm not a fan of how most charge between $50-$80 per axle for a set of slides, and how the frame sliders don't fit around a Right side scoop (looking to solve this problem with a future product), but I feel for my time, cost and design that somewhere close to $80 for both axles is a deal (hoping to be able to go lower, but the materials and time are the deciding factor on that). But kind of like what extreme has there, only difference is the end of the what looks like all thread that he used would be drilled and tapped for a locking bolt for extra back up on anything coming loose, and the ends pieces (the actual slider) will be a bit more pleasing to the eye with a machined aluminum piece and have grooves cut to allow for stands to slide into for a stable lifting point. once I get some of my sketches %100 and loaded onto the comp I'll post the pics. until then, thanks for you're interest, and keep it coming, the more interest I get in the product line the more motivated I'll be to getting these to the market for everyone to enjoy.

xtremelow
02-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Sounds good... I wanted the clean look so I just went for a tapped inside and use the threaded rod.

I would like to have some type of rounded end but hey I am not going to complain since I got the sliders for free and the rod cost me $4.

The machined lip for a rear stand is a must IMO from a design aspect, it allows or a wider buying group whether you intend to use them or not.

Updates for sure[up]

Baal
03-01-2010, 04:41 AM
Gotta love new parts, eh? Looking forward to seeing whatcha got!

[up]

TooFst
03-01-2010, 04:46 AM
Might be interested. Xtreme those r hot!

ArmyMP09
03-04-2010, 01:58 AM
Any update?

klan52
03-04-2010, 03:27 AM
Sorry guys no updates yet' been a hectic weekend and week, try to atleast get some sketches up for you this weekend, but ordering my new lathe in a week or so, then will be ordering my tooling and stock shortly after, all comming outa pocket right now and money kinda tight so we'll see how this goes, dont worry to anyone interested I'm 100% commited to makeing these and other parts and they will be comming soon!

zeroshens
03-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Not sure if I missed it somewhere above, but could you please make the real axle sliders with spools for a lift.

klan52
03-06-2010, 06:27 PM
they will have grooves for lifts, you missed it up there, the pics are of extreme's home made sliders, not of the product I'll be making. hopefully I'll have pics of the sketches up today to give you all an idea of what I'll be producing.

Thaloc
03-06-2010, 06:36 PM
as soon as u get them together ill take a front and rear set off u. I almost did the homemade ones but there is something about skateboard wheels on my Buell I find degrading...

klan52
03-06-2010, 07:49 PM
ok, got one design drawn up for you all, see bout getting to the others sometime today. Keeping my measurements and exact specs to myself for now, they'll be posted once final products are ready to ship.

and thanks for the interest thaloc, will be a few months still before they're ready, but moving as quick as the money allows me.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3804_20100306134647_L.jpg

Thaloc
03-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Nice! I love the write up! Also that is the ****! I know its not noticable but I hate how my pitbull stand scratches up the bottom of my swingarm. And im in no rush, I have no plan on setting her down =P! Id rather wait for quality at a good price then pay out the ass for something of less quality.

klan52
03-06-2010, 11:17 PM
ok here is design 2 and 3, number three was a request from a friend for that style, will only be produced on a made to order basis as more of a custom piece, but still available, once I'm up and running and have merchandise in stock mods to the parts can be ordered along with complete custom pieces if I am able to make it.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3804_20100306170321_L.jpghttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3804_20100306170330_L.jpg

brightbuell
03-07-2010, 12:38 AM
Xtremelow do you use mirrors on your bike at all?[confused]

samiam901
03-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Hey Klan will you also be making a solid piece for the front slider or will it just be the same as the rear with the groove? Also diggin the designs youve drawn up so far.[up]

klan52
03-07-2010, 03:16 PM
sam, so far my plans are to produce matching front and rear ends, only difference is the fronts will not have the groove for stands, unless otherwise specified when someone orders, then I'll add the groove, I know most stands don't use a slot on the front like the rear, and in my case with the t-rex, that picks up from the bottom of the tripple tree, don't pick up from front axle at all. It will also be an option to have fronts that are more plain to accomidate lifts that grip around the whole slider. It's kinda confusing to put it into just text on the forum, but when I launch the line I'll start a new post that showcases alot of the options, and most likely launch a myspace page (cause its free)that has as much information about the products as possible. but like I said before, I will have my base models that will be sold and ship for a set price, and customizations are always available to be ordered once I'm up and running for an additional charge.

chevnut55
03-07-2010, 04:02 PM
i was making a set from threaded rod and car wheel locks,but ill hold off until you start selling these,if the price is good im in.

ArmyMP09
03-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Looks good so far. Can't to wait to see the finished product.

samiam901
03-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Sounds great Klan[up] You should go with a facebook page since alot of us have it already. Buellxb facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=225041449852)

Baal
03-08-2010, 03:52 AM
I like the first design. [up]

Is the plan to do them in raw billet, or do you plan to clear and/or black anodize?

klan52
03-08-2010, 04:14 AM
plan is to produce them in billet, and I'm looking into doing some anodizing to them as well, but that won't be right away due to start up costs that are already taking a toll. but see what the future holds for that.

but may be forced to move production back a slight bit, had to take my pup in for emergency surgery and going to be feeling the hit on that cost soon. but family before money, and my dogs are family. but she's gonna be fine, just sets me back a little farther.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3804_20100307221238_L.jpghttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3804_20100307221257_L.jpg

dave_xb12r
03-08-2010, 04:17 AM
Nice dag ya got there

firebolt020283
03-08-2010, 04:21 AM
Nice dog I have a solid white 4 year old and love him to death.

Baal
03-26-2010, 03:31 AM
Yo! Checking in on your progress!

klan52
03-26-2010, 09:45 AM
thanks for checking in, progress slow going as of late, had a close friend pass away this weekend and donated a sum of my funding for this project to funeral costs, so waiting on the bank now to clear me for purchases, then ordering the lathe, tools, and stock... been a few revisions in the designs, and a special edition design I'll be putting out in limited production, but still committed to the project, and hope I can find buyers to offset my personal costs, and to help out the buell community.

samiam901
03-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Count me in for a set klan[up]

Buell_Cru
03-27-2010, 04:35 PM
Are you planning on manufacturing anything else? Seems pretty spendy to go out and purchase a lathe and other equipment for 1 project. Seems like you could get a local machine shop to do a run of 50 or so and sell them on ebay.

klan52
03-27-2010, 04:47 PM
I plan on doing bar end sliders and axle sliders to start, then expanding to frame sliders and other custom work. Also plan on expanding to do parts for triumph and other bike makers, Buell is just a start, and my passion. I'm a machinist and welder by trade, and have been in the market for a new lathe anyway, just figured I'd but my skills to work for buellers to get a quality part at a good price, and make some cash along the way of course.

Baal
03-28-2010, 04:34 AM
I'd probably be up for axle sliders for a Daytona 675 too.

Buell_Cru
03-28-2010, 04:21 PM
Good work man...[up]

Rebel_CafeRacer
03-30-2010, 01:51 PM
klan 52

What kind of lathe did you get? I am guessing a manual..... you could probably get a simple retrofit for a manual and make it at least do the outer contuers and part it off. Then you could jig your drill press/mill to do the holes....

sorry, i am not trying to tell you how to do it. I am a machinest in the navy and after machining for 5 years on a ship, now i am managing a hotel...(barracks) and i really miss standing in front of my lathe. So its nice to talk to a fellow machinest was the whole point of my story... ... .... ...:D

klan52
03-30-2010, 05:26 PM
It's going to be a Jet 9x20 manual bench lathe, I was a machinist in the military aswell rebel, in the army, and moved onto doing it on as a civilian career, then moved back to being a welder so miss running my lathes and mills too. but, I will be attempting to make jigs to make atleast the rough cutting easier. After a few experimental parts I've made at work I will most likely be switching the designs to a closed end and a lock bolt in the sides. Our axles being such a small Inside diameter don't really allow for the strength I planned on getting from the initial designs. seems to be one conflict after another just to get my equipment and stock ordered, but hopefully everything is settled now and I can get to work soon.

Rebel_CafeRacer
03-31-2010, 11:35 AM
Thats great!

That 9x20 is kinda small, i worked with one on the Reagan, i found it hard to hold tolerences on, but thats because it had a **** tool post. The only cutters i could put in it were 1/4 highspeed steel (ground myself) or if i was lucky a cemented carbide if we had them... Have you looked into retrofiting it for CNC? there are some simple point to point programers that might work for what you are doing. I dont know the cost, but, i belive they are relitively inexpensive, just a motor for traverse and depth. It would make your groves very consistant, you could even get it to cut an arc. (its really hard to do by hand, i would cut a bunch of angles with the compound rest and file the contour in)

Either way have fun!;)

Hammel13
05-04-2010, 02:58 PM
im definetly down for a set when you get them rolling

klan52
05-04-2010, 04:20 PM
hey everyone, been gone for a while, and back with bad news for anyone that was still interested in this project, recently been contracted into addition hours of work for the week, and my side work has also sky rocketed, so for now the project is shutdown, I've barely got time to ride, let alone get parts out in a timely manner to people who order them. So maybe in the future, but for now this project is on the back burner. Thanks to all that were interested and sorry for any let down.