PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Buell XB12Ss questions

runningriot
10-07-2007, 08:16 AM
This is my first Buell, I just picked it up today. I love it but I have a few questions for you experienced Buellers.

1. The shaking really isn't bad at all. It's low frequency vibes which don't bother me. BUT I noticed the demo bike had less vibes. Is this because the engine or mounts were broken in a bit more? Will the vibration reduce with age?

2. My previous bikes had windshields but this bike has no windshield. Do you embrace the wind or get a windshield?

3. Air cooled? The fan is running nearly all the time. Is this normal?

4. How long does the belt really last? I wanna believe "forever" but need a second opinion.

5. Anything I should watch out for? Common issues or problems with the new XBs?

6. I was told that the old Buells weren't so great but the new XBs are reliable and really good bikes. Is this true?

7. Why is it that everyone hates Buells? They look AWESOME, they are innovative, they get good gas mileage and are powerful, they sound great, they have nice low-end power, maintenance free belt. I don't get it, whats not to like? Because its shakey? Its really not that shakey - I even like it a little.

8. No one seems to like the engine, whats so bad about the engine? 103hp and 84tq with a low rpm power range sounds nice to me. Does it explode or something?

Thanks

His_and_Her_Buells
10-07-2007, 02:30 PM
1. Shaking/vibration will reduce some with mileage

2. Embrace the wind. You could probably put a windshield on that will help but in my opinion it ruins the looks.

3. Fan running definately reduces as engine gets broken in. It will also run even less after you switch to synthetic oil.

4. Don't know, but there is a recommended replacement interval in the owners manual.

5. I'm on several boards and don't really see enough of the same problem to call any of them common.

6. Pretty much true, XB's are quite reliable.

7. Fear of the unknown. Plus they have to make themselvs feel good for buying the same unsoulful Jap Crap that everyone else has.

8. Everybody mistakingly loves HP and on that scale it doesn't come close to most other litre class sportbikes. Plus if they've never ridden one they have know idea how much fun bottom end power can be. You don't have to be doing double the speed limit before the fun starts happening.

Be safe and enjow your new ride

P.S. I also have an 07 Ss (Sunset Orange)

runningriot
10-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks! I like your answers. Especially #8. It makes sense. If they're used to high-rpm powered bikes, they would probably have a hard time imagining having fun on a bike like ours but low-end power is really more enjoyable for me.

One of the neat things I liked about the XBs is that you can change the plastics and wheels relatively cheap and affectively change the entire look of your bike.

They had a Red 2006 XB12Ss that I really liked but it was a demo bike.

They also had a Sunset Orange 2008, but it was too expensive for me. I liked the black 07 (which I bought) but I think I might change the plastics on the tank and windshield eventually to blue or orange, but not a priority.

runningriot
10-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Oh yeah, one more question I forgot to ask.

How does a Buell (specifically the XB12Ss) handle in the rain? My last bike (2005 SV650s) would get a corroded front plug unless I stuck some caulking around the front plug. Are there any issues with riding a Buell in the rain?

Thanks

His_and_Her_Buells
10-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Don't know about the rain yet.

I want to go black and would offer to trake plastics but my flyscreen is autographed by Eric and I plan on some airbrush work on the air box cover so it will have to be painted black anyway.

zombieBUELLer
10-07-2007, 09:22 PM
congrats on the bike!

i ride in the rain all the time. It rains almost everyday here in florida. sometimes for 5 min and sometimes for 5 hours (its rainy season). I have had no problems at all with my bike in the rain.

dmp0001
10-07-2007, 11:34 PM
should have no problem with the rain... the bolts do tend to show some wear if you don’t dry them off, but that’s just me being picky- your bike will run and shift much smoother once you get a couple thousand miles on her not to mention your mpg will be low for the first few tanks

runningriot
10-08-2007, 04:42 AM
Good point about the bolts rusting. In the past I've sprayed some WD40 into a rag and Q-Tip and wipe down bolts and things before wet season. Usually works out pretty well.

pan_boczek
10-08-2007, 06:43 AM
another common problem is this (i got it after 1 year):
http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/32777/129326.html?1122930836
the symptom is the fuses that blow every time you turn the steering bar to the left (for example to lock).

mrdozer2you
10-08-2007, 06:40 PM
I have a sunset orange 06 and will trade plastics. I think black with orange rims will look sweet. Same as with orange plastics and black/gold wheels. I just dont like ALL the orange on my 06.....a bit too much of the same colors IMO. [up]

dgp
10-08-2007, 07:59 PM
I have seen some issues with the return oil line dripping a bit on the new XB's. I got my 07 XBS and it leaked a little, dealer took care of it though and all has been well.