PDA

View Full Version : New Noise!!!!!

AdventureUly
03-03-2010, 07:40 AM
I Have had my Uly since October and I think I have bolted down any thing that rattles when you ride.

But I now have a new noise that I can not find. Below is what it is not:

>The horn behind the plastics
>A broken header bolt

(As I have addressed these already)

This noise only happens at about 4000 revs then it stays there until about 4500 then goes away. It is clearer in 1st to 3rd gear. It sounds to me like somthing vibrating, alot like the horn against the plastics but a bit more metalic, but I can't find where it is coming from.

Any one any ideas? [confused]

Buellysses
03-03-2010, 01:24 PM
If you figure it out, let me know. Mine does the same thing. I have it pretty much isolated to something under the windscreen.

I tied down everything that could possibly be rattling under there with no success.

My first stop this summer is going to be at the hardware store to procure some 1/4" weather stripping and put that underneath the fly screen.

AdventureUly
03-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Ah! you are at the same stage as me then.

I also believe that it is coming from behind the wind screen, but can't locate it.

I have some weather proofing strip at home, I will give that a try tonight. The screen does not seem to be that secure. I have added the taller screen with the two bolts through the bottom fixing holes.

I wonder if this is to blame. Mind you that was the first thing I put on. Saying that I did used to change gear at about 3500 revs, now I am giving the bike a bit more I notice it. Oh no I've gone cross eyed!

I will let you know how I get on.

:)

Midnight82
03-03-2010, 03:38 PM
I assume you checked all your plastic mounts?

I had a similar rattle on my xb12r and it was because I lost s crew on my chin fairing so it was bouncing off the exhaust like a nutcase.

Motorfish
03-06-2010, 03:41 AM
Try checking the muffler mount bolt on top of the muffler. I hear these can break/fall out.

07Bolt
03-06-2010, 04:02 AM
if its sounding like metal/metal contact then; isolate anything with your hands you can,while bike is running to try and rule it out.

if it still persists try revving at 4K; using a stethescope/long hollow tube listen in and around the top of the engine for rattle/vibration noises.

oil shortage can cause clanks on the top end.

AdventureUly
03-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Thanks for this.

I think that I have solved the problem.

Upon investigation of the muffler bolt as suggested by Motorfish, I relised that I was missing the front strap altogether. My local HD dealer sold me the wrong part so.... I fabricated a strap and bolt bracket and the vibration seems to have stopped. I am taking it for a test ride in a bout an hour, so I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers.

AdventureUly
03-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Well my DIY muffler strap has worked a treat, the rettle has all but gone. there is still some adjustment to be done, but I am very pleased with the results.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

AdventureUly
03-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Not so good today,

The steel strip that I used snapped on the way to work this morning.

Back to the drawing board.

I do have a Buell strap but I think there is another bit missing to attach it to the block...

Any ideas any one?

mr hyde
04-06-2010, 05:19 PM
there is a piece that bolts to the lug on bottom/front of the engine in which the stock strap runs thru while encircling the muffler.

AdventureUly
04-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Thanks for that.

I bought this part a couple of weeks ago and it is all working just fine now.

Should have up dated the thread.

Thanks