PDA

View Full Version : Good deal?

Builtdesign
03-04-2010, 12:58 AM
There's a craigslist ad for a 2005 Blast I've been thinking about. The guy wants $2500, KBB retail is $2550. The ad say it only has 140mi on it and the only issue with it is some minor scratches on the side from it being down once. He also said the rider (i'm assuming his wife) laid it down and never rode after that.
So the question I have is if I go look at this bike is what should I be aware of? From the pics it looks like the original tires are barely worn. And it looks really clean. I just want to make sure that its not some scam. I know the story seems possible, but a five year old bike with only 140mi...? He's also posting every 4 or 5 days and slightly changing his description so they don't delete his posts [sad] kind of anoying
Any words of wisdom?
Thanks!

wiznut
03-04-2010, 01:00 AM
I see Blasts on craigslist every so often around $1500 that havent been dropped...

Thorivola
03-04-2010, 01:06 AM
the blast is such a simple little thing, there is very little to worry about with them. Just make sure no oil is leading from around the base of the cylinder and that the crankcases look together. Check the front end out, rear motor mounts if you can get at them, and that basically covers the entire freaking bike.

when I ran around on my little blast I fell over on it three times total, one to an oil puddle around a corner I couldn't see, once on ice, and once in a pot hole that was just the right size for the rear tire... and I only put scratches on it during the pothole incident. every single time I stood it up, cycled the engine kill switch to reset the tip sensor and went on my way. Damned things are rock solid.

carbureted little single in a bulky little frame ftw

Builtdesign
03-04-2010, 01:14 AM
Hmm...I've seen Blast's older than '05 at that price, lots of 2000's at $1500. But most the '05's I've seen are about $2000-2200. The low miles--to me--is worth a bit more, but maybe not. I do plan to do lots of mods so minor scratches and (possibly) a bent handle bar isn't a big deal to me. Going to replace them with new one anyhow.
Anybody know how much an HD shop would charge to do a thorough testing of the bike?