PDA

View Full Version : Rear seat support bracket

bhuber24
03-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Does anyone know if the rear support bracket on the XB12S is powder coated or painted from the factory? I wanna powder coat mine and need to know how to go about prep.

vuke
03-09-2010, 06:02 AM
Just let your powder coater do the prep. Any good shop will automatically include all prepwork in their quote and wont likely discount much if you insist on doing it yourself. Besides, you want them to be responsible for the outcome of their work don't you?

I just had a bunch of parts done last month while I'm still down for the winter. It was fast, cheep and everything looks incredible. ...And now riding weather is right around the corner.

Anyways, to actually try to answer your question, I think they are powder coated from the factory.

SCBueller
03-09-2010, 10:56 PM
I too believe they are powder coated. Just got my sub frame and tail section back. Also did the wheels, bars and bracket for the instrument on my XB12s. Flat Black is beautiful!! Coating shop said the sub frame and tail section were factory coated, would guess passenger supports would be too. Simply removed mine-solo bike! Let them do the prep as vuke mentioned.

bhuber24
03-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks guys. I don't know of anyone that has the acid bath required for powder coat removal. Thinking about attempting to sandblast them. I can do the new coating myself

ridendude
03-13-2010, 04:19 PM
I just used poly stripper to remove the factory paint on my seat rails. It's tough stuff, but a few coats and it bubbled up and scraped off pretty easily. Now to polish them today.

bhuber24
03-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Thats a good idea. I will try that.

bhuber24
04-06-2010, 03:01 PM
It turns out, its just paint. Thick paint! I just scuffed them and shot em black. Will take pics when the wife gets home with the camera.