PDA

View Full Version : Weird oil problem

Kalsc
03-07-2010, 05:27 AM
Hi all, totally new here, but not new to Buells. I have two 2002 X1 Lightnings and LOVE them both. One of them though has a rather weird issue. I just bought the bike, checked the oil, it was low, topped it up and BLAM! If there is too much oil in the oil tank (read: within markers on dipstick) pressure builds up in the tank and blows the top off. If the oil is below the dip stick, it's fine. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm a little stumped on this one.

firebolt020283
03-07-2010, 05:38 AM
1 are your crank vents plugged up by any chance?

2 if is is like my m2 for some reason It likes to run a little low. if i fill it up to the fill line it will spit out a bout a 1/4 a quart and then be fine after that.

twobuells
03-07-2010, 02:56 PM
My 01 X1 will puke oil if the level is at or above half way on the dipstick. It was still under warranty so i told the service manager and he informed me i should remove the factory race kit and keep the bike stock.

aaronbuell
03-08-2010, 08:46 AM
my 98 s3 runs half anything higher then that and i can hear the cap hit the bottom of the seat. As far as i have been told this is normal.

ophawk
03-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Yep that is Normal,
I usually put a quart in, then idle the bike and bring the oil to the full mark on the dipstick. 98 s3.
later

Devil Car
03-23-2010, 02:58 PM
The oil dipstick on the M2 is too short. If the bike is stock, doesn't have an oil cooler, and is using the stock oil filter size, then it only takes 2 quarts of oil. On my bike this barely touches the dipstick. On some bikes this results in it just barely meeting the low fill mark.

If you put in more than 2 quarts, you'll puke it out the breather hoses and/or blow the oil dipstick out of the reservoir.

I suggest changing your oil and filling it per the service manual (i.e. fill the oil filter and then the oil reservoir with no more than 2 quarts total including what was in the filter).

hdb
04-18-2010, 03:16 AM
i have and 2000 buell x1. just recently had 24000km service.
since then the transmition breather hose on the left side of the frame under the seat has been
dripping oil, and it only dose it when i travel at 100km per hour constant for over 70kms. dose any one have any sergestions?
any advive will be appreciated.

ophawk
04-18-2010, 03:24 AM
The Tranny/Primary only holds 1 quart of oil. the check is open the clutch inspection cover by your left foot, the oil level in there should just cover the bottom of the discs in the clutch basket. Any more than that will make a mess. If it is over full, drain it to that level and all should be good.

hdb
04-18-2010, 03:35 AM
i just had two different harley merchanics look at it and they said the trans/primary oil level is ok.
i just took it for a long ride today, it was ok wen i my speed was up and down for 130kms then i got to a highway and and after 60kms strait it started dripping, is that commen?

Daze Off
04-18-2010, 04:45 AM
You havn't read the manual : engine oil cannot be checked cold and not run : run for 5 mins then check with dip stick with bike on stand.....
Been there, did that, RTFM....I did but missed the trick

Ebeo1
04-18-2010, 05:19 AM
I checked my oil a few times (cold) it looked below the fill line but since I was so close to an oil change I let it go. I changed my oil and added the 2.5 qts just like the book says and same level. The book also says to check the level hot so I drove to campus and back one day check the level and it was perfectly in the middle between full and add.

ophawk
04-18-2010, 07:34 AM
Daze, hdb question concerned the tranny and not the oil tank.
hdb, it is not normal for an excessive amount, but a little vapor/mist would not be cause for alarm.
ebeo1, that just about what they take, I'll be doing mine this week.

hdb
04-18-2010, 07:14 PM
ophawk thank you,im taking it to a profomance bike specialest today. i hav been getting quite a dribble of oil down over rear fender. the bike runs a treat, so if it is not causing any damage to trans om thinking of getting a catch can to solve it.

ophawk
04-20-2010, 04:54 AM
Are you positive it is from the trans, They aren't under pressure, just splash lubricated by the gear sitting a couple teeth in the oil. Now the engine vent, from the factory went into the air cleaner, but most bikes from our era have that removed and vented to atmosphere which may be what you are seeing, if you can trace it back to two bolt locations behind where the air cleaner should be, that is venting the engine blow-by, oil mist and water vapor that happens to get into the engine. Still it shouldn't be a steady dribble, mine is usually just wet, maybe a drop or two, never marks its spot.
hope that helps
Later,
Dale

ophawk
04-20-2010, 06:38 AM
hdb, I sent a couple PM's. I think the line you are referring to is a return line from the engine back to the oil tank, that would explain the oil flow. It should be attached to the left side of the oil tank near the top. two lines 1 from the front of the motor, and the 2nd from a nipple by the starter positive terminal and in front of the rear mounting block.

Later
Dale