PDA

View Full Version : Been reading for 2 years. Figured I'd tell you about my xb12x.

nixgtp
03-11-2010, 04:01 AM
I bought my Uly on my birthday 2 years ago. I drove it 2 miles and promptly hit a 10ft branch in the middle of I-70 KCMO at 75mph.

It near ripped my knee cap off.

Annnnnnny way I figured id list some of the mechanical history. Along with experiences.

New brake pads at 8000mi. The new EBC sintered stopped the wobble.

Oil changed everytime the tires were. Which turns out to be every 2000 miles or so. (Bought the bike with 4500 miles has 14k now)

Tires
Brand new Dunlop 616's lasted 1800 miles
Pirelli Diablos
Dunlop Qualifiers
Dunlop 208's and the next set will be
Continental TKC 80 (for the pikes peak climb)

NGK plugs 13k miles with 10mm screaming eagle wires

Blew out the fork seal at 13k miles as well (darn wheelies)

Clutch cable snapped at 70 mph during rush hour 10k miles.

Best mileage 63.31 mpg on 200mile trip. Average at 80mp is 51mpg. Worst was 38mpg (hello trackday).

Best and only speeding ticket was 62 in a 25. ( Get his. They put in a new subdivision next to a very old highway and knock it down to 25mph and BlaMO copper on the bend.....[mad]....shoulda ran.

Most enjoyable moment was driving from KCMO to Alabama on old old 2 lanes with no map. If I saw a major highway I just turned around and headed the other way. Also, funnest road happens to be this Gravel superhighway south of Clinton, MO. Its 80ft wide and sits 12-15 feet above the land. I say this having ridden the dragons trail.

By far the most frustrating time demanding machine I have ever encountered in my life, BUT CRACK THE THROTTLE ON A TWISTIE AND THE SMILES WIPE MY WORRIES AWAY.

p.s. LIVE LONG HOOLAGANS, AND MAY GOD SMILE ON YOUR RIDE.

nixgtp
03-11-2010, 04:03 AM
p.p.s - Drank a lot and its late soooo.. typos. Sorry.:D

Stevenc150
03-11-2010, 04:46 AM
Welcome to the Forum Nix. Looks like some good times. :D[up]

( Did you mean for the Thread title say "Been Riding..." )

nixgtp
03-11-2010, 05:45 AM
Actually no. Ive been reading the forum since I bought the bike (Apr 2008). Joined in August, and just now posted.:D

Thanks though.

onelogue
03-11-2010, 06:32 AM
Welcome bro! Great intro.

Post pics of the bike for us :)

twistedrose
03-11-2010, 01:41 PM
wow! really only 2k on your tires? i have 13k and replaced the rear tire once and the front is getting to need it now.

landinr
03-11-2010, 02:06 PM
I was thinking the same thing about the tires. You must be doing some crazy burn outs through rubber like that. Not that thats a bad thing.

nixgtp
03-12-2010, 02:36 AM
Ill get some pics tomorrow. Still waiting on a fuel line from HD. Getting a spare clutch and throttle cable for those just in case moments.

Addressing the tire issues. Ive only burned out the middle once, and that was the pirelli's, and that was a wheelie phase. Most of the time that side walls get worn out at a track day. The bike isnt really compettive, but I enjoy it so.

Here's a question though. I bought my bike used with jardine can and K&N. It was involved in a racing series in its previous life. Ive always noticed a 4pin deutch connector on the left side in exactly in the opposite spot of the rear brake fluid resivior. I suspect that it has the ecmspy already installed on it. I say this because Ive only had a couple backfires ever and there is never any hiccups. Also the fan rarely comes on. What do you think ECMSPY installed all ready? Ill post some pics tommarrow.

Stevenc150
03-12-2010, 04:01 AM
ECMSpy is a computer program that allows you to interact/modify your bike's ECM. You download the ECMSpy program for your computer, buy a cable that has a USB on one end and a Duetch connector on the other - hook up to your bike and you can reset you're own TPS, engine/trouble code diagnosis, and modify fuel/timing maps for future modding. ;)

hula Buell
03-12-2010, 06:44 AM
Great story!Sure like to have a little more detail on tires and plugs.Pics will be great....Thanks

nixgtp
03-14-2010, 08:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldi2qaJgp7s

Here's a link to a video of the bike. Its not for sale like it says. Oh and you can check out my old zrx turbo as well.

nixgtp
03-15-2010, 07:52 PM
First of, I forgot to mention that I had to replace the voltage regulator at 11000 miles.

Now for the current issue. I go the bike all back together (after going through 2 bottles of locktite) and turned it over and......... nothing[mad]. Fuel, air, and compression good [up] so i turn my diagnostics toward the ignition system. New plugs, new wires, test the ignition coil and on the primary side front bank it holds .5 ohms for a second then drops to .2 or .3 ohms and the rear bank is the same bur drops to .4 to .3 ohms. So i ordered a coil and wires from buellsterparts.com and hopefully it shows up this week. The last time it ran it only hit on one cylinder for a while then neither of them. So I hope this fixes the problem.

Has anyone here done business with buellster? Are the a reputable company because I was eyeballin some spare parts for future emergencies ( ie fan, belt, throttle and clutch cables, extra set of wheels for some knobbies, and spare fuel pump. [confused]

nixgtp
03-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Great story!Sure like to have a little more detail on tires and plugs.Pics will be great....Thanks

What did ya wanna know?