PDA

View Full Version : What will it be worth tomorrow??

bonechip67
03-12-2010, 12:27 PM
With Buells not being made anymore, do you think the value of an R or CR will only rise over time or will they draw less then what you paid when its time to sell? Asking because I have another chance to get a CR fairly cheap, but with just buying 2 bikes in the last 6 months I could be spending the next year in the dog house if I bring another home! Just was wondering if I could play the "its a collectors item card"[smirk]

03Firebolt9R
03-12-2010, 12:37 PM
I dont know about the "collectors item card", but in my opinion, I think they will become more valuable. Prices right now are actually higher in general than they were a few months ago. I predict in a year or two that they will become more sought after machines and there wont be any new ones. In turn driving the prices up.

triple7
03-12-2010, 02:04 PM
If you got one for $6500 you probibly wont lose money, but as a collectors item probibly not. Look at other like items. Unless it's a Vincent Black Knight (they made less than 200 bikes in all) I dont think our Buells will be gold mines. You can still get BSA's, Maiko's, Bridgestone's, and OSSA's rather inexpensive if you can find them.

ArmyMP09
03-12-2010, 02:24 PM
I dont see them ever being super sought after. Maybe a small group will become big spenders when it comes to collecting them but never on a big scale like with 60's muscle cars.

bonechip67
03-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Ok, I wasnt looking to make any money on it. Just was wondering if A guy would be able to get his money back out of it later if he got it for a decent price? Say under $6000

ArmyMP09
03-12-2010, 03:30 PM
i think you should be able to do that. Depending on milage and condition. Give it a while until all the news are long gone. But milage,condition will be the main factors in price.

aptbldr
03-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Pre-Harley Buells: likely collectible (if not already) out of variety/scarcity & back-stories.
Post-Harely Buells: hold value on built-in moto-merit; but not as collectibles.
I'm guessin' :)

Midnight82
03-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Just wait till Erik Buell Racing starts pushing bikes out to the public. Then you guys will have the Baby Brother of the mean racing machines.

swamp2
03-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Well, I bought 2 in 4 months time ('09 1125CR and '09 XB12Ss) because I believe they'll at least hold their value over time (both purchased at pretty good deals - 6k for the cr, 6600 for the xb), and I'll have a lot of enjoyment from them in the meanwhile. They certainly have all the characteristics of a potential "collectible" but that's a pretty fickle set of assumptions. If you eventually want to play that card, don't beat the crap out of 'em and keep 'em stock - or at least keep the mods easily reversible. And, be patient...

xtreme6669
03-14-2010, 01:08 AM
F that... Ride 'em hard and mod the hell out of them...

I never under stood having cool stuff that you don't actually play with! Maybe that's why I will never be a collector of anything of value but the kids who didn't open there action figures because they wanted to keep them for collector items always bugged me!

IRULE
03-14-2010, 01:14 AM
I agree with xtreme6669. Ride da hell out of it - enjoy the son of a bitch! Can't take the money to the grave! Can't you?:D

kokomochandler
03-14-2010, 01:50 AM
it sucks that the dealers are backed off the rebate so they want full retail but kbb is still at 6 grand so its hard to get a loan except for harley.

triple7
03-14-2010, 05:38 AM
Big Sky Harley in Great Falls Montana still have rebate deals and bikes. 1125 R's and CR's. $6500. Firebolt's and Lightning's $6900.

swamp2
03-14-2010, 12:08 PM
F that... Ride 'em hard and mod the hell out of them...

I never under stood having cool stuff that you don't actually play with! Maybe that's why I will never be a collector of anything of value but the kids who didn't open there action figures because they wanted to keep them for collector items always bugged me!

Well, we all do things for different reasons. Frankly, I don't feel the need to mod the hell out of a brand new bike that already has 5x the capability of any bike I've ever owned before. That doesn't mean it's going to sit in my living room and I'm not going to enjoy riding it. But, I do plan on taking care of it.

bonechip67
03-14-2010, 04:14 PM
I agree with all that has been said here. I do play with my toys, but I also take care of them. I was just trying to get a feel for what a bike that retailed for 12k and I can get for 6k new today, would be worth say next riding season, or after that.
Tring to convience the wife its a good deal and I should be able to get my money back after enjoying it for a season.

Bolt
03-14-2010, 04:22 PM
If you can pick up a cr@ 6ish -go for it !
It's absolutely worth it& you will make your money back if you ever sell.
My question is why would you ever sell?!
Damn I gotta get to friggin Montana!

nattyx1
03-17-2010, 05:13 PM
I got a 2010 CR in January. It's not an "investment." It's not a "collectors item." It's not shrewd market play of any sort. It's a hilariously fun, fast bike that just plain works. So I will ride until (if ever) I tire of it or need/want something else. And if I get even 50% of my money back, I'll be happy because that will have been worth it given the riding experience. It's a bike that objectively was worth $10k or $11k in September, and so like everyone else I got it with some miles for like half that. Literally the deal of the century.

I'm with xtreme6669 here. Get it, ride it, love it. It's NEVER about the money when the bike is right, but it sure helps if you get a smokin' deal.
:-)

sk8ace
03-17-2010, 05:36 PM
I've been watching ebay and craigslist and the prices have been going up steadily. once they are all gone at dealers I would expect for them to reach about what they were going for used before the crazy deals. I'd get a couple if I had cash and hold on to them for a couple years and then sell them for more than what I paid :-) or keep them and ride them into the ground. whatever mood I was in at the time heh

SteveTackett
04-02-2010, 12:41 AM
I agree with extreme6669 as well. Get it and ride it. There isn't any point in having a bike like this if you can't enjoy. I'm still breaking in my 09CR so I haven't really gotten in it. I'm thinking with a bike with this level of performance, I won't be able to, or at least not in the foreseeable future fully exploit. (on the street anyway)Overall, it's a great way to spend less that 7 Gs.

swamp2
04-02-2010, 02:05 AM
Guys, I never said not to ride it, or not to enjoy it. I was merely responding to the original justification of playing the "it's a collectors item" card. If that's part of your purchase rationalization, you should leave it relatively stock and not beat the crap out of it. Mods are not valued long term. That's just common sense - any collector of anything will tell you that, doesn't matter what it is. I wasn't suggesting that either should or shouldn't be part of the rationalization.

But if you justify the purchase to your SO on that basis, and then chop it or do something stupid to it, well - you're just being dishonest.

kalifornia
04-02-2010, 02:13 AM
I think what ebr does or does not do either in the racing scene or the street scene will have the most affect on future prices. If he has continued success prices will be fine to happy.

JohnnyS999
04-05-2010, 07:23 AM
Just about any car or bike will become more valuble in time, if you wait long enough. I look back at the cars I've owned or could have owned for pennies compared to what they are worth today and all you can do is shake your head. Life goes on and holding onto one of these bikes thinking it will somehow be an investment is flawed thinking. Yeah, maybe some day but I enjoy the fact I got the bike for half off and ride it as much as I can. To be honest, I would have never bought a Buell without the rebate, likely many here share this also. And if I had a choice between a full priced R or CR compared to a CBR1000 Honda, no question I would have bought the Honda. The Buell CR has turned out to be a fun bike for sure and when some have mentioned modding it I say mod it with what? I have modded the hell out of several Ducatis I've owned and the fact there are hundreds of aftermarket vendors to choose from makes it easy from the standpoint of compare shopping. Since the 1125R and CR were short lived, they weren't on the ground long enough for the aftermarket to invest in parts. I call it slim pickens. So many aspects of upgrading have been cut off due to the closure and due to the design of the bike. For instance, the front single rotor set up denies flexibility in choosing different wheels,brakes, calipers, etc. The funky foot peg set up, that denies many excellent rear set manufacturers and the options we enjoy with other bikes. Its important for many reasons to have the right sets for your riding style, Buell's design limits that.

In less than seven years Harley will stop supplying parts (technically)for the Buell line, then what do you do? Except for a few die hards, most of the bikes bought recently will be sold to new owners and to new owners beyond that. There may be a situation around the 5th year into this obligation that buyer prospects will look to other bikes because parts for the Buell will become more rare. It will be just my luck I'll need some obscure part and I'll be forced to look worldwide for it. That will never happen to me because I know I won't keep the bike that long anyway, I've never kept a bike more than a couple years before moving on to something else.

Its not a collectable and its not an investment. Its a means of transportation from point A to point B. More importantly its a reason to hook up with some buddies on the weekend and talk about it later on forums such as this. So far I'm really pleased and happy I bought my CR and I'm having fun modding it where I can. The big surprise is I have no thoughts about selling it anymore, the bike continues to grow on me.

bonechip67
04-16-2010, 01:29 PM
I was just playing the collectors card to the wife so I could somehow justify buying another bike! :) I was more curious as to what people thought the market would do with the Buells. LIke when they are all sold, will the prices go up,? or will they fall to where even if you got it for half the MSRP price, would you be lucky to get your money back?? Just peoples thoughts!

toonsez
04-21-2010, 08:31 PM
Joseph Glydon wrote an excellent piece a few years back re. collectibles in general.

That said I bought a Suzuki GS1000SZ new in '82.

Had a chance to pick up a Jota (new) in '83 and decided to pass given the likelyhood of getting parts over time.

Sold the Katana (to my step-son, don't ask).

The 1125CR has "intrinsic" value which can eventually turn into $ value.

Don't care, I'm ride'n mine.

myronman3
04-21-2010, 09:33 PM
i went through the same debate with myself.... and i decided to wait until eric puts out his new bikes (assuming he will). i figure i wont get a screaming deal like you guys did, but i will be putting my money where my mouth is by buying a new bike. and, it should be something else without the morons at harley standing in his way.

TJBurly
04-21-2010, 11:27 PM
Who knows what anything will be worth tomorrow?

Based on what people where paying for them before the closing announcement, you are obviously getting a lot of bike for little dollars.

If you want the bike and can afford it...go for it!