PDA

View Full Version : Airbox Mods

njsxb9
10-15-2007, 03:49 AM
Well got home from a ride today and decided to tear into my airbox. Ripped out the little intake tube they put in the frame which opened the intake about about 50% or more. noticeable difference when I took it out to test it. Now the next thing is to either cut the whole ahirbox cover down just so it covers the K&N filter or cut several intake holes in the cover itself.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/402_20071014204841_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/402_20071014204835_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/402_20071014204829_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/402_20071014204823_L.jpg

BuellPartsGuy
10-15-2007, 06:23 AM
Get yourself an airbox delete and a breather re-route and you will be happy with the results.. [smirk]

LeFox
10-15-2007, 05:03 PM
the goal is not only to get more air in, but to get more cool air in...

zombieBUELLer
10-15-2007, 06:30 PM
yep. what they said!

zombieBUELLer
10-15-2007, 09:53 PM
not to jack your thread... i just got done with my box.

beforehttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/568_20071015145022_L.jpg

afterhttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/568_20071015145029_L.jpg

zombieBUELLer
10-15-2007, 10:38 PM
i'm not sure that this did anything other than create more noise. performance wise.. eh!? i think opening up the outer cover in someway will definitely get more air in there.

BuellPartsGuy
10-15-2007, 11:31 PM
When I installed my open air box, the throttle response was much better. There was a increase in noise, and it also seemed to help with that off the line hiccup.

dmp0001
10-16-2007, 08:01 PM
does anyone know if you can retrofit the intake from the new airbox covers to the 03 lightning cover, I don’t want to change the color of the plastics just add the intake. the more air the better! lefox, in Colorado in October all air is cold air!

BuellPartsGuy
10-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Yes, the newer airbox covers will retrofit.

dmp0001
10-16-2007, 09:13 PM
I am talking about the piece that is black or gray around the gas cap, not the whole cover, on the 03-05 it is just black plastic but on the 06+ they have an air intake. are the covers available as 2 parts or do I need to wait to find one to experiment with?

BuellPartsGuy
10-16-2007, 09:20 PM
They are one piece. You would have to toy with it. They dont make the same color as your bike since 07?

dmp0001
10-16-2007, 09:49 PM
I have an 03 in yellow, I dont think I can get the new airbox in that color. I will just have to wait untill I see one on the cheap to buy, like a cracked or crashed unit

Mustang
02-22-2008, 01:28 AM
Where can I find the airbox delete "kit"? I don't see it on ASB, but that's what everyone keeps mentioning...

06xb9r
02-22-2008, 02:58 AM
it's called "open airbox conversion kit" on their site

BuellPastor
02-23-2008, 11:05 PM
Open Airbox Conversion Kit + K&N = more air in. Would that also mean a TPS reset? or Reprogram or would it be better to buy RAce ECM? I have Econo Drummer which still has valve so its been fine, but I would love to eliminate that little hickup. Also, how would making these changes affect gas milage?
Where is their more noise - under the cover? Is it good noise? Annoying noise? Indifferent?

Thanks!

LeFox
02-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Would that also mean a TPS reset? or Reprogram or would it be better to buy RAce ECM?
best would be a new map, as always.
but a race ecm would already mean a noticable difference.

Where is their more noise - under the cover? Is it good noise? Annoying noise? Indifferent?
a good, rough, tough sucking noise...
i like it, most of the people i know like it, maybe you will too ;)

xbhooligan434
02-25-2008, 07:01 PM
as LeFox said gives it a sucing noise,kinda like a grunt sounds good in my opinion

blackxb12r
06-01-2008, 04:29 PM
on the airbox delete kit from asb what is the t and hose for??? i dont remember seeing a hose like on the stock airbox. if i have a race ecm would i need a reset of any kind??

Path125
06-02-2008, 12:13 PM
The t and hose are to the the breather re-route mod. The kit does not include the small filter or a catch can, but it's a start...

see this link for details on that mod...
re-route (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/Re-route-hoses)

Roccodart440
10-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Zombie, Is the before pic of your airbox factory? Mine doesn't have those holes that yours does in the "before" pic?

firechickenXB9R
10-27-2008, 03:04 PM
His air box is the new design. I would guess 06, 07 and newer.

Stevenc150
10-28-2008, 03:49 AM
Actually I think his looks like DIY. Here's a link with the newer factory airbox covers ('07-newer). 2007 vs. 2006 Air Box Cover (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/2007--vs--2006-Inner-Air-Box)

oxygen151
10-29-2008, 01:20 AM
As far as opening up the airbox like zombiebueller did, how does that compare to the ASB airbox delete performance-wise? Also, should I take out the snorkel completely, or I have heard something about just clipping it or cutting it somehow?

jasper
01-29-2009, 12:30 AM
I've noticed something interesting about these airbox mods as well as the newer stock airbox covers. Well this holds true for my 06 uly anyway- if you take a flashlight and shine in on the vent in the front of the cover (by the gas cap) you will notice most of the air in is restricted by the very front of the black plastic airbox. Wouldnt it be best to cut open the very most front of the cover, so the air is allowed directly into the filter? If anyone can advise I appreciate as I will probably be cutting into it soon. Thanks[confused][smirk]

jasper
01-29-2009, 09:19 PM
comments??

GatorBuell
01-29-2009, 11:55 PM
I have never looked threw the vent but I believe FIDO opened his up. I cut open everything on mine all the way too the out side and basically cut away all of the inner box. More air is always better but you have to be aware of the possibility of running lean in you A/F ratio. I dont think opening that up will cause any problems but I also dont think it will add that much air.

jasper
01-30-2009, 01:59 AM
Thanks for the reply gator, yeah I dont expect a huge change, but I also ride a uly, so I'm not trying to have the fastest bike around, just trying to do some simple mods to get more out of it without going too overboard. Looking at the factory design of this airbox does puzzle me though. They have that vent there in the outer cover, then they blocked airflow directly by placing the inner cover directly behind it. Appears to block at least 50% of the air into that vent. Oh, I was also wondering- that picture at top- Am I seeing that correctly, is the airbox actually opened to that left scoop through the frame of the bike? If so that seems like more air than any bike should ask for.. Awesome

jasper
01-30-2009, 06:20 PM
anyone else see what I'm gettin at?

GatorBuell
01-30-2009, 08:47 PM
That pick at the top is of the older model XB and your uly will not have that, the right side scoop actually pushed air into the box.As for why Buell changed that I have no Idea maybe they felt it was not needed and kept stuff like bugs and dirt out of the air box itself. If you Swiss Cheese you inner box using a (step drill bit) it will help a lot and you can open up the vent up front. It will get enough air that you will feel a difference, a High flow filter will help also.

jasper
01-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks again gator, I think I'm gonna cut into it this weekend. I do have a k+n already, so after this I should be good shape.:)

skellybuell
02-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Hey guys i have a question about these airbox mods, I always thought that the concept was to have a pressurized airbox to push air through. If i go and do this mod, the air will not be pressurized inside my inner airbox, therefore the opposite of the design. If someone could point me in the right direction of how this works better i would appreciate it. I am not saying it dosent work I am just one of those guys who likes to know how. Most of you guys say it works good and I would like to do it but i just wanted an explanation first.

GatorBuell
02-01-2009, 01:43 PM
On a normally aspirated engine with out a turbo or a supercharger the air is sucked in by the piston. On the intake down stroke the intake valve opens and a vacuum is caused by the piston moving down in the cylinder. This vacuum sucks the air into the cylinder and the processes begins. The air box is not pressurized but it needs to be open enough that a constant flow of air can get into the cylinders. With the airbox closed off it restricts the air movement choking the motor hence the open airbox mod. The airbox is not pressurized its just sealed to keep the bad stuff out like rain and dirt.

skellybuell
02-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Ok well i guess pressurized was the wrong word to use. What I meant was forced into I guess. So if I do an open airbox mod and say get a ram induction type outer airbox it would allow more air into the engine thus running smoother. I just thought that with all that open space in there it wouldn't have as much force going into it. So just say your cruising around town, will the air inside the outer airbox become warm since the engine is not really reving as much thus not sucking as much air. I know it may seem like I am asking dumb questions but I dont want to go hacking at my airbox to find out maybe it wasnt such a great idea. Thanks for the input.

GatorBuell
02-01-2009, 05:37 PM
So if I do an open airbox mod and say get a ram induction type outer airbox it would allow more air into the engine thus running smoother. Yes, but on that note you have to be aware of the motor running lean. More air will throw off your Air/Fuel ratio and lean means hotter. Would not be to bad with just a air box mod.

I see what your saying, the only thing is about a ram air set up is you motor is only going to take so much air. With opening up the inner box and a ram induction outer box your just making it easier for the motor to get the air it wants and needs. Opening up the box will actually lower the air temp because you will have more air moving threw that area. After I opened mine up I noticed the fan does not come on as much as before and it runs a lot smoother.

Trill
02-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Woot I got some work done lately!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-a7xmrbyWY

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l21/surfstylez/buell002.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l21/surfstylez/100_1116.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l21/surfstylez/100_1121.jpg

dave_xb12r
02-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Looks good! ^^

I'd like to see an airbox with all the openings filled with kazoos! I always told myself that if I ever got a car with a turbo, I'd put a kazoo on the blow off valve.

Sorry, that was off topic

xlr8n_xb
02-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Looks good Trill. Should definitely give some more air to the engine. I have opened up my XB12R air box like zombieBUELLer did earlier in this post. While I was in NYC for the IMS show I spoke to Pete Alesso from GrandStandDesign.com about this topic. He said the XB's love their air but when doing the airbox mods and opening up the stock cover and running an aftermarket exhaust so you dont need the actuation valve. You should use an XB9 air box cover on an XB12 and do the mods to that because the clearance between the rubber boot on top of the stack is minimal. He said he has experienced cases where the boot sucks up to the inside of the stock XB12 cover and cuts out the engine. Its a logical explanation. He said he uses the XB9 air box cover because there is alot more clearance and no chance for this to happen due to the fact that the XB9 doesn't utilize the actuation valve. Thats why I bought a XB9 cover. Just some info if anyone has had this problem. Sorry for the long post.

Amrcnmade
03-04-2009, 02:13 PM
I see where some might be concerned about the motor running to lean with the air box mod. Gator was right about the engine basically being one big vacuum. But just because the cool, denser air is in the box. Does not mean it will get forced into the cylinder and lean out the A/F ratio. Those motors do come running lean from the factory already. And that needs to be addressed first. But Just opening up the air box wont do it without some sort of forced induction. If that were the case if you took the filter and box off and cranked up the motor she would run white hot with all the ambient air directly running into the intake.

erkblack
03-04-2009, 03:02 PM
It seems that this mod is going to pull in more hot air. Whitch defets the purpose of doing the air box mod. Hot air doesnt contain enough oxygen to produce any more power. Cold air is what you want for power, hinch the fact buell put the stock intake on the leftside, away from the exhaust and about 1 1/2 inchs from the motor.
Second. Directle below the seat is a fan. This fan is used to suck hot air away from the motor.When you look at the rear rocker box cover there ia a hole on each side of the frame allowing access to this. So when this fan kicks on isnt it goin to just suck all the air out of the air box?

dave_xb12r
03-04-2009, 04:28 PM
It seems that this mod is going to pull in more hot air. Whitch defets the purpose of doing the air box mod. Hot air doesnt contain enough oxygen to produce any more power. Cold air is what you want for power, hinch the fact buell put the stock intake on the leftside, away from the exhaust and about 1 1/2 inchs from the motor.
Second. Directle below the seat is a fan. This fan is used to suck hot air away from the motor.When you look at the rear rocker box cover there ia a hole on each side of the frame allowing access to this. So when this fan kicks on isnt it goin to just suck all the air out of the air box?

First. Well cold air is just more dense than hot air, and the ECM sees that and says "more air? give the f'er more gas then!" and that's where your power comes from.
A lot of us have heat shields under our airboxes. This keeps that radiant heat out and cools your inner airbox. Opening the airbox is definitely a good thing.

Second. This mod is not talking about cutting the lower plastic under the airbox. Air comes from the top of the bike only.

firechickenXB9R
03-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Man I got your cold air!!!:D
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1622_20080602120615_L.jpg
;):):D[up]

Amrcnmade
03-04-2009, 07:13 PM
The fan can suck the air out of the air box and blow it on the motor all it wants if thats what it actually does. It doesnt matter. that will only pull cool dense into the air box

GrimesXB
03-10-2009, 12:30 AM
So is there any concern of running "dangerously" lean by simply doing the Open Air Box Conversion with the K&N Filter, stock ecm, and stock exhaust? Knowing as stated above they come lean from the factory.

Amrcnmade
04-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Opening the airbox wont effect how lean the motor runs. Think about a carburated car motor. You pull the air filter off to adjust the carb while the motor is running. Does the car suddenly start leaning out and pinging from pre ignition. Nope. Just because there is more air available does not mean it will get forced into the motor. Motors run on vacuum. They suck their air in as they run. But opening the airbox for cooler denser air will not cause it to lean out. Only let the extra oxygen produce more power

Stevenc150
04-16-2009, 01:42 AM
Airbox Mod alone might be alright.

But doing Exhaust AND Airbox mod would lean it out. Modded exhaust has less backpressure and has the engine wanting more air. You give it more air with an airbox mod and voila, the air/fuel ratio goes leaner.

03Firebolt9R
05-03-2009, 01:21 AM
I have been aprehensive about doing this mod simply because I did not want to cut up my airbox. But I got an extra one and went ahead and swiss cheesed one of them. Holy crap...very pleased with my decision. Really runs good like this. Only complaint that I have is that I dont really care for the sound. But I think I will get used to it. Very highly suggest it.

patrickXB
05-11-2009, 09:14 PM
has anyone else experienced some excessive backfiring on decel with the airbox mods?

dave_xb12r
05-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Maybe you just didn't hear the backfire before with all of the airbox crap in the way.

Backfire=running rich right? Time for a tune.

yorkshirelad
05-11-2009, 10:29 PM
I just did the DIY airbox delete.Dont know why anyone would want to pay good money for a kit to do this.I cut my original box up and fitted it with two stainless threaded bars I had laying around.
Total cost-a big fat zero.
P.S I am new to this site and forums, could someone please tell me how to start a new thread.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3688_20090506151753_L.jpg

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3688_20090506151656_L.jpg

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3688_20090511152207_L.jpg

dave_xb12r
05-11-2009, 10:31 PM
Nice mod! [up] Go into the topic you want to post in and scroll down to the bottom. There should be a new thread box down there

yorkshirelad
05-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Thanks for that I have a lot of questions to ask

Stevenc150
05-12-2009, 03:08 AM
Nice Paint Scheme Yorkshire! :D[up] Welcome to the Forum. Might consider starting your own intro thread with some more info on that great looking bike.

ADAMLEE
05-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Why did you leave the actuator wiring attached to the tubing? I removed mine back by the ECM and got rid of that wire. Seemed like it was just taking up space and lloking ugly.

Overall i give your bike 9.5 out of 10! Bike looks great!

goatsxb9s
05-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Armcnmade,carbs use vacuum venturi's to meter the amount of fuel; fuel injection uses fuel maps..not the best comparison.

only1reds
05-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Awesome looking bike

yorkshirelad
05-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks ADAMLEE I didnt look into removing the actuater cable but I will be doing now.
I am new to this site so as soon as I get chance I will post more pics and spec.
Thanks all.

oxygen151
05-13-2009, 01:49 PM
I could not find where the actuator wire went into the ecm. I was thinking it was hard wired? Can anyone explain how you take this off. Mine is just dangling and I want it gone.

indy84
10-21-2009, 07:29 AM
hey jusy did the airbox mod, the first thing you notice is the sound, its louder but its still good at low rpm, just when you open the throttle you can really hear it, definatly gained performance wise, highly recomended. Also have done the breather mod which made it smoother down low.

With both mods done on my 07 xb12r its a easy
roll-on wheel stander in first gear

AdventureUly
10-21-2009, 02:14 PM
If you open up the air box, swiss cheese style, Do you also NEED to do the breather mod?

Stevenc150
10-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Do you also NEED to do the breather mod? It's not a Must but I can't think of a single reason Not to do it. It's simple, cheap, and effective - can't get much better than that.

AdventureUly
10-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Well I got home and set to my air box with a drill and hole saw. Was very easy and took no time at all. I have a stock exhaust but with the valve wired open and now an air box mod.

The bike has changed for sure, no huge difference, a bit lower, deeper sound and the power is more instant and smoother.

I am very happy with the result, I was thinking about doing a more extensive mod to both exhaust and air box, but for now I don't think I will.

DrogeN Omen
03-11-2010, 12:27 AM
hmmm interesting...

spor_xb12r
03-18-2010, 03:22 AM
Is there any harm in doing a similar set up to zombieBuellers air box mod but keeping the servo motor in tact?

His post is on page one.

AV8guy
04-11-2010, 06:38 AM
Im working on some different scoops for my outer cover right now. Im deployed so dont have my actual parts to work with, just kinda winging it right now. Let me know what you think.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6492_20100409094544_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6492_20100409094359_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6492_20100409094156_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6492_20100409094017_L.jpg

AV8guy
04-11-2010, 06:43 AM
Not quite sure what Im going to do. The first two pictures are of a scoop using the bottom picture as a mold. Made the mold, cut it in half, and stretched it. I made the mold (the bottom 2 pics) out of fiberglass, resin, and a Glade airfreshner that I cut in half. I really want to have someone send my outer cover out here to me so that I can have all the body work done by the time I get home from this deployment!! Any ideas for new projects to pass my time pm me

lawdog
05-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Here are some pics of my airbox mod. I used a dremel and cutoff wheel. Only drawback is the intake noise is louder. I personally don't like it but to each there own. A giant sucking sound, or low growl. But if it gives me more power thats what matters!

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6230_20100515125813_L.jpg

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6230_20100515125713_L.jpg

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6230_20100515130012_L.jpg

04buell12
05-18-2010, 03:25 AM
cool mod [up]

beaterbaja
06-18-2010, 06:17 PM
wanted to show mine too, just did this the other day and like it so far
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6552_20100618121329_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6552_20100618121420_L.jpg

lokatwhaticando
08-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Im making my own airbox delete kit. my didn't have a cone in the airbox so Im not going to make one. It's about the same as beaterbajar. Im still working on it.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6132_20100803111337_L.jpg

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6132_20100803111408_L.jpg

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6132_20100803111424_L.jpg

RichP99
08-03-2010, 10:45 PM
beaterbaja and lokatwhaticando,

looks good I really like the clear:D[up]

I want to cut some Plexiglas also, what tool are you using? I can never get it right I always burn mine. The ends look really clean. thanks

Glade21
08-04-2010, 04:15 AM
A jigsaw with a fine blade works great.

upthemaiden
08-04-2010, 06:09 AM
I had planned on doing an airbox delete eventually when I found a cheap airbox cover that had that funnel shape to it as my 2003 just has the flat cover. I was talking to Randy yesterday about getting a hawk exhaust and he recommended drilling three 2" holes on the left and right side, and two more on the back of the airbox cover. He comes highly recommended around here so I feel like it's best to follow his advice when I put the exhaust and new map on. Is there any reason the delete would be better than just drilling holes in the stock cover?

I'm also curious about the noise too. Some people have said their bike makes a loud growling/sucking noise. Mine just makes boring mechanical noises with the air being sucked in. I know the noises will get louder, but does doing a delete or putting a new exhaust on actually change the tone of the noises, or will it just make the same noises as a stock bike, just louder?

lokatwhaticando
08-04-2010, 05:45 PM
I used a jigsaw with a fine metal blade 21 teeth. the jigsaw and 6 settings on it I stayed on 1 the slowest. After I cut it all out I used 120 sandpaper all around of the Plexiglas to get the rought stuff off. Then I went to 220 to make it smother, and last I used 3M 2000 wetordry sandpaper. And thats how I got it to shine..

For the noise I haven't put it on I not done with it yet to tell you if there is any I'm still working on it. sry.:(

and if there is I have a pipe I cant hear **** anyways.. lol:D

Terp_Bueller
08-06-2010, 12:18 AM
I've got an extra lid from an 03 XB9S (fits other years and models, too) for anyone to try their best swiss cheese modification. $10.00 + shipping to 48 states. Shipping is somewhere around $15.00.

RichP99
08-06-2010, 03:58 AM
I used a jigsaw with a fine metal blade 21 teeth. the jigsaw and 6 settings on it I stayed on 1 the slowest. After I cut it all out I used 120 sandpaper all around of the Plexiglas to get the rought stuff off. Then I went to 220 to make it smother, and last I used 3M 2000 wetordry sandpaper. And thats how I got it to shine..

Thank you sir:D

rep for you +1[up]

lokatwhaticando
08-07-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm done with mine but it sucks. To much air and thats bad for me right now because I need to buy or remap my ecm to race. I had to put the stock air box back on. It ran like crap I need more fuel befor I put it back on.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6132_20100807140459_L.jpg

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6132_20100807140438_L.jpg

I'm also curious about the noise too. Some people have said their bike makes a loud growling/sucking noise. Mine just makes boring mechanical noises with the air being sucked in. I know the noises will get louder, but does doing a delete or putting a new exhaust on actually change the tone of the noises, or will it just make the same noises as a stock bike, just louder?

your right it dose make a noise it sound hollow.. and the bike got louder.

brightbuell
08-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Looks pretty cool. Now get a good map and disable your 02 sensor.

upthemaiden
08-08-2010, 03:09 PM
your right it dose make a noise it sound hollow.. and the bike got louder

Was this in reference to the full airbox or the airbox delete? Do you have a stock exhaust or a new one? I'd be curious to hear some more details as to what you think. I know it's superficial but I'm pretty tired of that racket coming out of my airbox and it's more motivation towards an exhaust if it actually sounds better. I know you can't hear the airbox when you're not actually on the bike anyway.

lokatwhaticando
08-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Thanks, I took off the delete kit and put back on the the stock airbox. I have a Jardine RT1 GP1 exhaust. I pit a seal on top of the K&N to try to tone it down and it help but not much. For the noise it sounded like a Harley deaper but hollow if that makes any sence.. I have everthing to remap my ECM but I cant get the driver to read the cable. I have to find some one to help or I'm just going to buy a race ECM..

disable your 02 sensor.

why should I do that?

bttrfngrz
11-13-2010, 04:09 PM
hey guys, i have an idea, i understand that our ram air intakes operate under a negative pressure from our intake tube, now instead of cutting holes into our airbox wouldn't having a dedicated ram air scoop or a slight sccop lip produding from the bottom of the air intake hole on the frame add positive pressure to the air box? wouldn't that increase topend? i'm gonna try it, since i have the right side scoop i'm not really worried about cooling. this sounds like i have alot of ecmspy work to do.

Pockets
11-15-2010, 10:34 AM
The side scoops don't direct air into the airbox though. They're only for cooling the cyliders. All of the air being sucked in comes through the front of the airbox and around the lower edges of it.

upthemaiden
11-15-2010, 01:58 PM
It comes through the vent and around the edges on the newer bikes. on the older ones, like my 03 it came with a sealed airbox that got its air entirely from the left side scoop through the frame. if you use a solid 03 airbox you could try to pressurize it, but our xbs are better for 0-80mph, and ram air is really a bit better for higher speeds, for the amount that it actually affects performance anyway. It could be an ok project, I even have an extra frame snorkel if you want it. I still think youd be better off just keeping it open to let the airflow through.

bttrfngrz
11-15-2010, 02:29 PM
yeah i have a sealed air box, and i race, so increased torque from a liberated air box wouldn't really benefit me. i imagine it would help my top end . i hardly go below 45 so 65- 120 is where i wanna quicken up. i'll keep you guys updated.

Pockets
11-15-2010, 02:57 PM
120? On a stock Buell? Must be a 1203. My 9 won't do much better than 90.

upthemaiden
11-15-2010, 04:14 PM
90?? That doesn't sound right. I have a 9, and it's no rocket at those speeds but it'll definitely go faster than 90. The wind usually slows me down well before the motor does.

bttrfngrz
11-15-2010, 04:38 PM
yeah it's a nine how the hell do you not get past ninety? there is a fifth gear you know!

lol jk

Pockets
11-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Yeah, nasty flattening out. I'll be working with theoctopus to correct my mapping once I have time.

bttrfngrz
11-15-2010, 04:42 PM
yeah man i would get on that! thats a sizeable loss of power! what mods do you have?

Pockets
11-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Just a homemade glasspack exhaust and breather re-route. Stock '09 airbox and filter.

bttrfngrz
11-15-2010, 05:01 PM
fun stuff, good luck

upthemaiden
11-15-2010, 06:45 PM
You should put your stock exhaust back on someday and see if it gets any better. The only mods to mine at the moment are the breather and a hawk exhaust, and an open airbox but I still have the stock filter and ecm. Sometimes I go back to the normal airbox but I don't notice any power difference, just use the open airbox when I have the transparent plastic. Gotta get the mapping worked out on mine but I haven't nailed down ecmspy quite yet. I thought I had heard that the XB9s would do about 138, but I've never tested it out.

bobaganoosh
11-16-2010, 08:40 AM
theres no way thats right. when i bought mine it would do between 135 and 140 all stock exept a jardine. now with remap, k&n, open airbox it still does 135-140. its mainly all gearing

Pockets
11-16-2010, 09:20 AM
My stock pipe was hacked for the belly pan tabs. There's nothing left of it after 3 tries at a DIY pipe LOL. Ah well. I just picked up a set of iridium NGK's so hopefully that will help too. -Sorry all for the threadjack... back to airbox mods!-

iman501
12-07-2010, 01:10 PM
so i just read through all the posts on this thread, and I like the idea of the mod. a lot of what all of you are saying makes sense, yet my question is about the bike running lean (yea i know new question right?! haha jk)

it seems like some of you said that doing this mod with a after market pipe could make the bike run lean (or to lean). My bikes an 03 9R with a race ECM and buell race pipe. I have also done the breather reroute. will cutting holes in my air box, or just removing it and doing the "plexi-glass" approach like some of you have done make my bolt run to lean?

Also why do i have to disable my o2 censor, and how do i disable it?

upthemaiden
12-07-2010, 03:44 PM
The race ecm should work perfectly find if you cut some holes in the airbox. The newer bikes come with holes in the airbox already.

As far as the 02 sensor, not sure why you need to disconnect it, but if you unbolt the bottom of the airbox from the frame you'll see a wire plugged into the bottom of it. Just unplug that cable.

pamver
08-13-2011, 01:44 PM
who can tell mme what the diameter is of the carb so i can put a airfilter on it like this one
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2942_20100305221347_L.jpg

JDT1127
08-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Just did the airbox delete and breather re-route last night FINALLY. Had the stuff laying around for months. Didn't really get to test out the power as I passed 3 cops on my short test ride (it was late). The sound was definitely LOUDER though. For me it is in a good way. Like a giant whooosh when you get on it. Only problem I'm having is at certain RPM I hear a sort of whistling sound. My guess is air trying to be sucked through the small gaps in between the bottom of the outer airbox and the frame. Anyone else have this problem? It's an 03 so it does not have the opening by the gas cap. Might custom make my own and see if that helps. So far I'm liking it though.

120? On a stock Buell? Must be a 1203. My 9 won't do much better than 90.

Something wrong there, my 9 has done 130 a few times (still had some left) and gets to 110 easily almost every day on my way to work. All I have is the race kit (K&N, ECM, and exhaust)

DrogeN Omen
08-17-2011, 03:00 PM
i regularly do about 180 - 190km on the highway straits riding home... K&N air filter and modified twin tip exhaust. normal factory ecm.

g3STRIKES
08-25-2011, 04:30 AM
my stock 03 firebolt wud pull 137 but that was tucked n flat and speedo reading soooo.....

CityBoiX5020
02-09-2012, 01:31 AM
When I put in the K&N and airbox delete, will I need to do a tune or anything like that? What about just the K&N with the stock airbox?

klot69
02-22-2012, 07:03 AM
Hi Guys,
I have an 08 XB12 and when i bought her she was fitted with a Micron can, and some of the worst looking headers ever.
My question is how do i make those headers look any better, and i unfortunately dont like the look of wrapped headers, but i know that would make a better look than what i have now.
Ps. i am in South africa, so its not easy find affordable new equipment...
Sorry i know this is the wrong thread for it. Just a dumb neewbie, first post.nullnullhttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/8518_20120222010154_L.jpg

netty2424
02-22-2012, 07:27 AM
I have an 08 XB12 and when i bought her she was fitted with a Micron can, and some of the worst looking headers ever.

You've stumbled across a little gold mine. The Micron exhaust system is arguably one of the best exhaust systems for Buells ever made. They are no longer made and tough to come by. If you hate them, I'm sure you'll be able to find someone to trade you or take them off your hands. Challenge is being so far away from the majority of Buellers on this forum.

Are those ripples in the header part of the actual metal melting, or is there a coating on them?

BuddhaBuell
02-22-2012, 08:27 AM
Are those ripples in the header part of the actual metal melting,

looks like the micron logo to me
[smirk]

tedstang
02-23-2012, 07:48 AM
i just did my airbox delete but im not sold on unplugging my o2 sensor. can someone exlain why i would unplug it[confused]

xtreme
02-23-2012, 08:15 AM
why would you unplug your o2 sensor????

tedstang
02-24-2012, 09:12 AM
sorry i have recently found out that is not the o2 sensor but the sensor sticking out of my airbox? idk what it is even bigger reason not to unplug it.....[confused]

xtreme
02-24-2012, 10:17 AM
there is no need to unplug it. Why would you???

infamouscrew02
02-24-2012, 10:23 AM
That is the air temp sensor. No reason to unplug it. It will throw a check engine light if you do.

klot69
02-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Jip thats the Micron logo.

getting the headers polished. and when i am back in SA tomorrow i will be a happy camper blasting down the road.
Been in Tanzania for 2 months and itching to ring her ear.

then i am doing the re-breather mod and the exhaust butterfly.

tedstang
02-24-2012, 10:42 AM
someone on this post said to do it when you do the airbox delete and i wasnt sure why, it didnt seen right. thanks for the help guys:D

xtreme
02-24-2012, 11:10 AM
No problem, Maybe they were refering to the old FAST intake kit.

tedstang
02-24-2012, 11:27 AM
your probably right thanks:)

AgateJrXB12S
02-24-2012, 12:05 PM
I cut mine out[cool]
Not a bad job for using only a hack saw, if i do say so myself!!;)
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/11619_20120224060413_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/11619_20120224060452_L.jpg

tedstang
02-28-2012, 12:00 PM
nice job i did mine with a razor blade then smoothed it out with a dremmel tool it blew but it looks like a stock piecehttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/12468_20120228044337_L.jpg

Aa79912
06-14-2012, 02:49 AM
When you refer to "air box delete" are you running the k/n filter with or without the stock airbox cover ?
Or do mean k/n filter with the modified cutout air box cover?
Thanks

woodsyau
08-19-2012, 04:39 AM
Micron Headers....They polishUp very nicely with some work.
Sorry off topic.

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z458/woodsyau02/be636a446e5b11e1a87612313804ec91_7.jpg

DcBueller84
10-31-2012, 02:27 PM
Hey guys wanting to do plexi on top of my filter but what should I do with the exhaust servo and the wire leading to it? If I unplug it it throws a check engine light. What has everyone else done? Btw this site is awesome I think I'm addicted to it! Thanks guys :D

legiteuphoria
11-01-2012, 02:05 AM
I was looking at doing this open air box mod on my xb12 but I'm worried about removing the interactive valve. Did you guys not notice a difference when you removed it?

ngreeley
12-05-2012, 07:57 PM
anyone have any tricks to cleaning the stock filter? i would assume its paper so probably not.I just don't want to drop $45 on a K&N filter right now. what about cheap stock? ill even take a used clean one.

snrusnak
12-06-2012, 05:26 AM
ill even take a used clean one.

I'll send you mine, it's not brand new but is pretty clean. Had like 6,000 miles on it when I took it off. PM me.

PaulTurner911
10-10-2013, 03:42 PM
What are the pros/cons of disconnecting the exhaust servo?

theMelvster6
10-10-2013, 04:09 PM
You would also have to lock to exhaust valve open if you disconnect the servo. The loss would be in torque on the bottom of the rpm range if you don't have a tuned ECM. It will also throw a trouble code until you disable it in the ECM through ECMspy or the like software.

PaulTurner911
10-10-2013, 06:32 PM
....WHOOOO would want to lose low end torque?!?!??! :p

dinonz
02-23-2014, 06:34 AM
I know dumb question ! Can i take the trumpet out and put a pod filter in instead and get rid of the cover as wellso i just have the main cover on top????

MEATHOOKS
11-10-2014, 04:59 AM
My airbox delete. "09" XB12R
Would not have been possible with out this forum and all the kick-ass Buell fans world-wide.
Thanks to all. (Kevin...Las Vegas Nv)http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/18833_20141109223738_L.jpghttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/18833_20141109223820_L.jpghttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/18833_20141109223858_L.jpghttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/18833_20141109223933_L.jpghttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/18833_20141109225320_L.jpghttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/18833_20141109225442_L.jpghttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/18833_20141109225509_L.jpg

camcam1144
04-30-2015, 03:59 AM
i live in central california where in the summers is in the 100's and OFTEN.... bike dont like that.... lol how can i cool my bike down more Without the breather mod....? i have an 07 bolt 9r

thrstrmech
04-30-2015, 04:09 AM
^right side scoop and heat shield under the airbox...I'm in Phoenix and ride during the summer

camcam1144
04-30-2015, 05:16 AM
thats enough of a qualification for me! thanks thrstrmech

YNOTbuellxb
07-02-2015, 03:33 AM
I used the holes that were there for the breather to run the bolts through. It's exactly like to kit that is sold for the buell (the position of the bolts) except it didn't cost a hundred n sumthin bucks. Got a piece of plexiglass at home Depot for like 4 bucks it was the perfect size and is 250x stronger than glass. So bout ten bucks I did the air bix mod and another 5 for the breather reroute no catch can.

Lusiphur
07-02-2015, 11:26 PM
I had a similar mod done on my first Buell. I did it because it looked cool on the see through airbox. As I had the Race ECM, it did help from a performance point of view.
http://www.4ezt.com/elff/My_Albums/Pages/Motorcycles_files/Media/Piglet2/Piglet2.jpg

Sirius815
07-03-2015, 12:38 AM
^^ Who makes that seat section? I've seen it before.

Tripleted
04-12-2016, 09:32 PM
I am a new 2006 XB12X Ulysses owner and have been busy reading this forum, searching for modifications and doing some of them. It had a K&N filter so I thought I would use a rotary hole saw to open up the top of the air box a bit. Drilled 3 holes in it and noticed that there was a better growl at about 3000 rpm with no noticeable power improvement. What I didn't notice at the time and connect it to the air box mod it that that the holes made a lifter like tapping noise/lifter/cam noise when the bike warmed up. I guess the holes where letting the injector noise or other mechanical noise be heard more. So I taped the holes up with masking tape and the noise went away.
So, the lesson is that if you want a more quieter bike, do not modify the air box.

Cooter
04-12-2016, 09:46 PM
The masking tape with deteriorate and get sucked into those holes:upset: True value hardware has a parts section that should have cone shaped rubber plugs you can push in the hole for a more permanent solution.

Or get a new lid from the classifieds here...

Lusiphur
04-13-2016, 01:06 AM
^^ Who makes that seat section? I've seen it before.

It's available overseas from Twin Motorcycles

http://www.twinmotorcycles.nl

Cooter
04-13-2016, 01:41 AM
I'm sure he appreciates the answer, but he asked almost a year ago:sleeping:

It is a :cool: one!

Lusiphur
04-13-2016, 03:39 PM
I know. The previous version of the forum did not have a good notification system.
I figured i would answer if he is still interested