PDA

View Full Version : new bike, switching from a cruiser to a Buell xb9 or 12

theroadnottaken9
10-15-2007, 05:24 PM
I've been riding for awhile, I have a Honda shadow a.c.e
750. it's a bit of a pig and I'm looking for a street fighter. I'm a heavy, tall guy and was wondering if you guys had any helpful info for me, I'm 6 foot and 270 and I really like the Buells. I set up a test drive for the 18th, but would like rider input. thanks

zombieBUELLer
10-15-2007, 06:26 PM
ride it like you stole it!?? jk..[smirk]

what bike are you test riding a 9 or 12? i'd say with your size the Ss or the ulysses would be a better match... but thats just my opinion.

anyway you look at it the buell is going to be very different from that 750 shadow.

come back and tell us what you thought about the test ride!

Somthngfrce
10-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Hey,

Well,I can tell you that at home I currently have an O3 VROD, 03 Shadow Spirit and an 04 Xb12s Lightning. I am also 5 foot 11 and weigh about 235. My first bike was the 03 Shadow. It's a great bike and love it but it is a little underpowered. For a beginner it is great. I still ride it but I know what you mean. When I looked at the Buell, I def. wanted the 12 because I knew that I was a little heavier than most out there AND I wanted to make sure that I wanted a bike that had enough power that I wasn't going to get bored of. I rode the 9 and knew that I would want more power later.. I also bought my bike Used and stole the Buell from someone who was needing the money. So it worked for me. It really is up to you and what you are looking for, but speaking from experience, I know that the 750 Shadow is fun to ride, but it def. can't touch the Xb12s. I am still trying to figure out the settings on the suspention on my BUELL but that's half the fun. I def. agree with zombieBUELLer, drive it like you stole it,lol.. Don't rag it out, but drive it like you would so you know exactly what you are getting for your money. Ok, that's my 10 cents worth. Good luck with whatever you decide on!;)

theroadnottaken9
10-16-2007, 12:42 AM
well i'm not gonna be pulling wheelies,lol. i sat on an xb12 at the dealership and it felt fine but it seamed like i was sitting really high but that might be normal because i've never ridden a sportbike. they said at the dealership that they had an xb9 and an xb12 and that i could pick when i got there and felt both. and thanks for the input!:D

theroadnottaken9
10-16-2007, 01:01 AM
i'm also not looking to buy one new, im just doing my market reserch lol. i would like to get a used one in the spring but i've got to sell my shadow first (i don't like having payments)and i wanted to ride one while i could because it's already getting to the end of the season here.

Somthngfrce
10-16-2007, 01:03 AM
Market research, huh? I need to use that line when I test rag, I mean ride a bike,lol....;)

theroadnottaken9
10-16-2007, 01:28 AM
works for me.......i think i'll like it, i think i'll get the xb12. every now and then Mr. Hyde comes out and i'd like the have the power there when i ask for it. not to mention that i might need it to get my fat @ss moving ..jk lol

mrdozer2you
10-16-2007, 12:57 PM
it seamed like i was sitting really high

Yeah when you are going in a straight line :p. Just wait till you hit some corners, you'll be dragging your pegs in no time [cool]

Welcome to the sportbike world :D:D:D

Somthngfrce
10-17-2007, 12:39 AM
Yeah, I second what mrdozer2you said! Welcome aboard.

midlifecrisis
10-17-2007, 01:53 AM
Definate XB12 and at your height and weight I would go with a Uly. I came from Harley land to sportbike land this past spring when I got my '06 12R and it's not a difficult transition if you ask me. I had over 40K miles on Harleys before my XB and the learning curve is so natural and good that I find myself actually giggling like a little girl (@ 40 yrs of age) when I find a nice stretch of twistie tarmac. i'm 5'10" 170# and the Firebolt is not what I'd recommend for your size if you're planning on 100 mile runs. Welcome and enjoy!

theroadnottaken9
10-17-2007, 03:48 PM
well i just got back from my test ride.....AWESOME! it's
such a forgiving bike, i can't belive how quick i got used to it. all they had at the moment was a uly(not my type)and an xb12stt which i rode. fits me just fine i'm gonna go back and test a xb9sx, but you guys got a convert here.

theroadnottaken9
10-17-2007, 06:51 PM
i was also wondering, how is the xb12 for long rides? i
ride back and forth from Bloomington, IN to Chicago alot and thats like 300 miles. :D

Somthngfrce
10-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Personally Speaking, Id rather ride my Xb12s than anyother sport bike lond distance because I ride more upright than any other sportbike. I have tried with a Gsx-R a few weeks ago when I swapped with a friend bikes during a ride.. It SUCKED! My lower back was killing me after 25 minutes and pulled over to get my bike back. We rode for 200 miles one way and I def. was fine with mine.

maybebuell
10-17-2007, 10:26 PM
roadnottaken think a big guy like yourself the ride will get old real fast...try a vmax ....big bike ....lots of power..siting upright.. $9800

mrdozer2you
10-18-2007, 01:08 PM
The only thing I dont like about long rides is the transmission. They really need a 6th gear to lower the RPM's on the highway. I cruise around 80mph and thats around 4k on the tach. in 5th gear. Comfort wise I have no problems, and at 80mph the wind takes pressure off your back and wrists [up]