PDA

View Full Version : timing

stevej
03-15-2010, 01:45 PM
freak thing on timing. I got the charging system notification 3 days ago in the mail. my CR has always charged good since I got it a year ago. I was on the way to work yesterday and about half way there (15mi) I went under an over pass and with the second or so of shade I saw my battery light and check engine lights lit up. put the dash onto the screen that shows battery voltage and where it normally has 14v going into the battery I was down to 11.9v and by the time I got to work it was at 10.4v. needless to say it would not start back up and I got a "system voltage low" prompt on the dash which I guess explains the check engine light. the bike ran warmer than normal too as the fans were shut down by the ECM to keep voltage going to the ign/inj. I am going to call the dealer and have them come pick the bike up at work where I left it last night. this was nothing to do with a cable mod nor will that fix it, looks like the regulator or alternator went out.

stevej
03-19-2010, 03:42 PM
just got word that they had to order a stator for my CR and along with the harness upgrade I should be good to go.

xtreme6669
03-19-2010, 07:42 PM
the harness issue likely caused the stator failure... I need to get mine in one of these days.

freight dog
03-22-2010, 12:55 AM
I had almost exactly the same thing happen to my '09R. The dealer is picking up the bike at my house late this week, but won't have parts for two weeks. I mentioned that the stator is probably wasted. Hopefully they won't wait until after they look at it to order up a new one. I will be pissed if they have my bike for weeks or longer for a known problem.

stevej
04-02-2010, 04:33 PM
bikes been down for 3 weeks, stator is on backorder.

stevej
04-15-2010, 03:58 PM
well after 6 weeks I got the CR back with a new stator and the wiring harness upgrade done. charging normally now, lowest I have seen is 13.7 volts and highest at 14.2 volts and does not seem to matter if I am stuck in traffic or cruising down the road.

xtreme6669
04-15-2010, 04:17 PM
good to hear! My dealer has my harness in stock I just need to get my bike down there...