PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of trading in Vrod Muscle for CR?

bonechip67
03-15-2010, 11:49 PM
Like the title says. I heard somewhere that Harley used Buells design for the Vrod. Since I have never rode a CR, can anyone tell me if I will get the same power and torque from the CR that I get out of the Vrod? If so, I maybe able to have my cake and eat it too, And not have a 17k loan to boot! Any thoughts??

redbolt04
03-16-2010, 12:00 AM
the CR will send your v-rod back to the garage with its tail between its legs. the v-rod muscle assuming you have a 09 is doing 123 BHP and 83 ft lbs weighing in at 640 lbs dry where the 1125cr is doing 146bhp and 82 ft lbs at 375 dry. without a doubt the cr will blow the v-rod out of the water. but if your into the big v-twin sound like you have now maybe a XB series bike is more up your ally

AZCRrider
03-16-2010, 12:18 AM
The CR will embarrass a Vrod in a set of twisties, but it really depends on what kind of riding you do. The riding positions are completely different as are the handling characteristics.

BuddhaBuell
03-16-2010, 12:27 AM
An XB will embarrass a overweight bloated V-rod as well
;)

Kidder
03-16-2010, 01:01 AM
I've never heard that Harley used a Buell design for the V-Rod. I do know that Porsche consulted with the powerplant.

redbolt04
03-16-2010, 01:04 AM
kidder from what i have read and understand the vrod liquid cooled concept was actually the works of buell and supposed to be produced as buell before harley snatched the idea and took it for themselves.

1stxb9r
03-16-2010, 01:10 AM
I know for a fact that my 03 XB9R will smoke a v-rod. Make the trade is my opinion! ;)

INSPECTOR
03-16-2010, 01:27 AM
i have both, a vrod and now a 125R. both are great bikes. both are two different bikes. my 1125r will smoke my vrod.

Alfatango1
03-16-2010, 01:33 AM
VRods have good torque, I almost bought one not too long ago when I was looking to add a cruiser. You really have to ask yourself what is the best for you and the kind of riding you do. Personally I'd like a 1125R and a Vrod to go along with my 9R and the Triumph Daytona I just picked up. Too bad I can't afford 4 bikes right now :(

bonechip67
03-16-2010, 01:58 AM
I bought an 09 Muscle about 4 months ago and an 09 XB12Ss 2 months after that. I since have found a CR at a descent price. I cant really see having 3 bikes right now or I should say 3 loans so.. Thats why I wanted to know if I traded in the Vrod for the CR if I would be disapointed. Like I said, havent had a chance to ride a CR and the nearest one is 3hrs away so thats why Im asking for input from CR owners!

swamp2
03-16-2010, 02:14 AM
The CR is basically a quicker, faster, more highly strung version of your Ss. They handle similarly and have similar ergos if you put the high bars on it. It has a lot more in common with your Ss than with your VRod. It will be quicker and faster than your Vrod.

That all being the case, I think only you can answer if you would be disappointed with the choice...

Alfatango1
03-16-2010, 02:20 AM
I know for a fact that my 03 XB9R will smoke a v-rod. Make the trade is my opinion!
What do you have in your 9? A stock 9 and a stock Vrod are about the same in the 1/4. I'm not sure what the Vrod's top end is but by a seat of the pants comparison the Vrod pulled down low better than my 9R until about 65 mph I would guess.

bonechip67
03-16-2010, 03:02 AM
The CR is basically a quicker, faster, more highly strung version of your Ss. They handle similarly and have similar ergos if you put the high bars on it. It has a lot more in common with your Ss than with your VRod. It will be quicker and faster than your Vrod

I love the feel of my xb12. Compared to the V, Its lighter and since its shorter, its easier to handle. I would have to change the bars on the CR as I dont care to lay too far forwards. Another thing Im not fond of on the V as well. But I do love the power. If The CR feels like the XB and has the power of the V, I think I would be a happy camper! :)

Maskido
03-16-2010, 04:15 AM
but if your into the big v-twin sound like you have now maybe a XB series bike is more up your ally

Spend the $500 bucks on an aftermarket exhaust (Jardine RT5 in my case) and you will have all the v-twin rumble you can handle! Super throaty with the torque and HP to match.

& just like others have said, it all depends on the riding style you're looking for. Not to mention, with the CR you will stand out of the crowd. Have yet to see another one out on the road. Good luck!

x1cr
03-16-2010, 04:28 AM
I'd had a few sportsters,an x1 Lightning and now the 1125CR-put the highbars on and the riding position is much more comfortable for the street.
If its power you're looking for, the CR will deliver in ways the vrod just plain cant. I dig the vrods for what they are but as pointed out earlier,more weight and less power than the CR...but forget all the 'on paper' comparisons- the CR is scary fast. good scary though!

RT Performance
03-16-2010, 08:14 AM
not to mention you can get a cr for under 8k out the door.
when i get old and can't ride with my knees bent i think i may get a vrod myself ;)

bonechip67
03-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Well talked to Dealer today and they said they have too many Vrods right now and have no interest in mine! Guess I'll have to do it the old fashion way and buy it straight out.. Now the tuff part, covinceing my wife I need another bike! :D

MAGIC
03-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Well talked to Dealer today and they said they have too many Vrods right now and have no interest in mine! Guess I'll have to do it the old fashion way and buy it straight out.. Now the tuff part, covinceing my wife I need another bike!

Tell her it's all for her. You gonna get a new one and let her ride the Vrod ;)

gear2078
03-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Women love V-Rods, sell her on it! I've got 50 miles on my CR and it is very impressive even below 6k RPM!

bonechip67
03-17-2010, 11:44 PM
Thanks guys but she preffers to be on the back of mine. Hoping I can find someone at work to take it off my hands..

swamp2
03-18-2010, 01:24 AM
She may despise you forever if you try and put her on the back of a CR. The accomodations are not what you'd call passenger friendly. I took my passenger pegs off just to make sure I never suggested to my wife she ride back there (plus it looks way better w/out them on)...

bonechip67
03-18-2010, 02:26 AM
yeah, thats why I got the XB12Ss. She can be on the back of that and then I can bust out the CR for myself!!

swamp2
03-18-2010, 02:42 AM
I took the passenger pegs off my XB12Ss as well. I have other bikes for the rare occasions I can talk her into going for a ride...

bonechip67
03-18-2010, 08:45 PM
It looks like I have the Vrod sold! Going to pick up the check and drop off the bike tonight. Called Dealer and told them to put sold on that CR! Hope Im not making a mistake?!

BuddhaBuell
03-18-2010, 08:58 PM
not in the least bonechips [up]
:)

bonechip67
03-25-2010, 02:10 AM
Well, after 7 hours on the road today (in the rain,) I have a brand new CR sitting where the Vrod sat. Right next to my XB12Ss. She got filthy riding on the open trailer, but shes home! Didnt get a chance to test ride it and it maybe a few days as I busted 3 toes on my right foot in a freak accident chasing the dog threw the house on Monday. Stupid dog! :)

RT Performance
03-25-2010, 04:39 AM
Congrats
I was over at my Buddy's an old Harely rider how has owned everything from a boss hoss to a vrod.
Just got back from bike week.Was telling me he thought he had something wrong with the front end in his 1125r.
had a bad shake.then the girls at the bar asked wtf wrong with you why do you wiggle the front wheel back and fourth when your doing a Wheelie:D
He said this is by far the most powerfull bike he has ever owned.
I think you will Love it

bonechip67
03-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Thanks! Im catching some flack from my Harley buddies for having 2 Buells now, but owning 2 New bikes for the price of an 883, I can take it! I have since turned one of them onto Buell. Had him ride my XB12.. now he owns one and doesnt even ride his HOG! I keep telling them you have to ride one to see how much fun they are.. Maybe with the power of the CR I can show them as well!