PDA

View Full Version : Stroke of bad luck....

Phrogg
10-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Well to start off, there is something wrong with the ignition switch wire. No idea how this has happened but it has. I will turn the key on so the bike is ready for me to hit the start button. If I reach around, I can move the wire that comes down from the switch and it will shut off and restart the bike again. I don't have the tools to fix it myself, so it looks like I will have to take it to the dealership. On top of that. I just got my new front tire put on a week ago. Today I just ran over some screw somewhere on the street and now I have to replace my front tire again...... I am so depressed right now....:(

BuellPartsGuy
10-26-2007, 12:01 AM
At least you still have a bike....[smirk]

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/24_20070725200258_L.jpg

Somthngfrce
10-26-2007, 02:54 AM
Daaaaamnnnnn parts guy!!!! :o

BuellPartsGuy
10-26-2007, 07:55 AM
Leg still hurts from that ****. I didnt have a single mark on my back from that. Just about broke my left leg off though.

LeFox
10-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Today I just ran over some screw somewhere on the street and now I have to replace my front tire again...... I am so depressed right now....
you don't have to replace the tire because it was punctured.
go to a tire-shop and have it repaired and vulcanized. ;)

At least you still have a bike....
didn't know that this fabric would protect you that much...
still prefer leather, though...

mrdozer2you
10-26-2007, 05:40 PM
you don't have to replace the tire because it was punctured.
go to a tire-shop and have it repaired and vulcanized.

Depends on where the puncture is...If it were a car I would agree...repair. But a bike...just buy a new one, not worth it to save $100 or so.

BuellPartsGuy
10-26-2007, 08:10 PM
I slid on my back for a good 150 feet at 55mph and the jacket came out like that. I have a leather one also for cooler weather, but you cant argue with the results...

Somthngfrce
10-26-2007, 10:13 PM
You are a very lucky man!

LeFox
10-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Depends on where the puncture is...If it were a car I would agree...repair. But a bike...just buy a new one, not worth it to save $100 or so.
puncture on a bike never a side puncture or it would be an act of vandalisme.
anyway, vulcanizing the tire is not a plug...
the puncture us filled and heated and is as good as new. costs here is 25$, i don't think you have a new tire for that price

LeFox
10-28-2007, 08:05 PM
I slid on my back for a good 150 feet at 55mph and the jacket came out like that. I have a leather one also for cooler weather, but you cant argue with the results...
like i said...i'm amazed.

BuellPartsGuy
10-28-2007, 09:04 PM
So was I...

Phrogg
10-29-2007, 03:15 AM
Got everything working now. New tire....:(
As far as the switch goes. We soddered the wires together in the ignition switch. The wire was comepletey sliced in half. Well...One little strand of wire was holding it together.LOL!!! No idea how that happened though.

Everything is working now. Lets hope I don't run over anything again....

Phrogg
11-16-2007, 11:03 PM
Alright, my ignition switch it acting up again. Move the handle bars from left to right and it kills the bike again.... So am looking to get a new one. However I don't want to spend $100 on the oem version. I was wondering if this one would work?

Ignition switch..american sportbikes (http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/16033.html)

It looks to be about the same, I was just wondering if anyone has had any exprience with this?

BuellPartsGuy
11-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Will not work. Only that OEM will bolt right in, not give you problems, and you wont have to hack the wiring to get it in there.

Phrogg
11-16-2007, 11:14 PM
I found an oem version on ebay, and was wondering if it possible to take the bottom part of it off and replace mine with it? Would this work at all?

BuellPartsGuy
11-17-2007, 12:04 AM
a brand new one runs $104.00, not that expensive....

Yes, you can use just the electrical part of it to retain the orginal key tumbler.

Phrogg
11-17-2007, 02:40 AM
Cool, thanks buellpartsguy.

Phrogg
11-17-2007, 11:37 PM
Well, just got done soldering the wires together again. Last time we went end to end. This time I took the bottom part of the ignition all the way out and it made the job considerably easier. We soldered them side by side this time and with tape wrapped around it again. It should be pretty solid now. Lets hope it stays!

XBear9S
11-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Depends on where the puncture is...If it were a car I would agree...repair.Â* But a bike...just buy a new one, not worth it to save $100 or so.

Having worked at Home Depot for 5 of my last years,
I can tell you that pluggin' motorcylce tires is fine.
Half my bike's life, she's been on plugged tires.

Make sure its a good fix and check it regularly.
Its only them two pieces of rubber between you and the pavement...
"Life favors the brave and scorns the timid"

Robtk! a.k.a. "SpecialK!"

BuellPartsGuy
11-18-2007, 06:45 PM
I worked at Home Depot for 3 years in Tool Rental, and I still wouldn't ride on plugged tires.... I would rather save my life then save money. :p

XBear9S
11-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Livin' large on an iddy biddy income,
Take them dice and throw 'em.
And the way I ride that bike all the way over on her rims...
If I ever thought for one second I couldn't get away w/it,
I'da never done it.
Some ride w/o a helmet, some in a tee & sandals,
You take your precautions where you feel just.
Me. Not afraid of a little whole if its fixed right...

Them days are behind me now.
I ain't gettin' 2 & 3 screws/nails no more.
So, I guess I'll start ridin' 'round in nude...

Robtk! a.k.a. "SpecialK!"

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting 'GERONIMO!'"
--Anonymous HellBuelly

BuellPartsGuy
11-18-2007, 09:21 PM
Natural Selection at its finest.....

devildog3042
11-20-2007, 09:31 PM
i agree with BPG. i dont know who this anonymous hellbuelly is, but he has some pretty warped views on life. i don't know about other people, but to me, staying upright on a bike is a lot more fun than sliding down the road. usually means i can ride another day.