PDA

View Full Version : why buell?

jabooty
10-26-2007, 02:29 AM
new member here. just sold my CBR600RR and would like to go back to twins. i'm considering one of two bikes. the xb12scg or ducati monster s2r800/1000/s4. possibly leaning more towards the xb12 due to ducati's high maintenance cost. what are some issues with the xb9 or xb12?
what are the recommended shceduled services?
what are the avg. cost of repair/services?
any reliability issues?
what to look for if buying used models
why not ducati?
why buell?

any input would be great.

thanks

LeFox
10-26-2007, 01:57 PM
why buell?
why not?

personally, all costs aside...you'll have alot more fun on the buell compared to the ducati.

just go for a testride and you'll feel what i mean...

otherwise, take care of the bike and it will take care of you.
factory recommended maintenance is scheduled every 4000km.
repair & service costs are alot cheaper compared to ducati

mrdozer2you
10-26-2007, 05:37 PM
repair & service costs are alot cheaper compared to ducati

Regular maintenance should be the same shouldnt it? ie. oil, tires, plugs, etc.....

BadS1
10-26-2007, 07:51 PM
I cannot tell you which one is better. I myself like both bike and have spent time on a S4. They are both awesome bike. The only thing that you may dislike about the Duc is the valve adjustments... they have to be done and not over looked. Other then that go ride both if you can. They are both sweet bikes.

jabooty
10-26-2007, 10:37 PM
thanks for the input.
what are some major services needed on the buell? (timing belt, valve adjustment, etc?)
i know that the ducs have 6k valve clearance/adj. scheduled maintenace and 12k miles timing belt replacement costing around $700.00 USD.

any input on what things to look for in buying a used buell model xb9 or xb12?
what is considered high mileage? is 15K miles alot?
any major issues or problems with reliability?

thanks again folks

dmp0001
10-27-2007, 04:16 AM
lets see, you change the oil fairly often and you have to...??? basically these things are as maintenance free its amazing no valve adjusts or chains to lube just hop on and go! that I have heard of there are no major common problems. 15k SHOULDNT be a big issue but with that many mile you be sure and get it checked by a good mechanic before you sign the check. there are a few low miles good deals out there, check ebay and craigslist they are rare bikes but not impossible to find
as far as which is better I don’t think maintenance, cost, power.. etc is the point, these are naked bikes not mini vans! look, sound and feel, which one makes you feel the best that’s what these bikes are about. I bought mine over a duc monster s2r 1000 and am glad I did, never been happier with a bike.

mrdozer2you
10-27-2007, 12:35 PM
I bought my 06 Lightning 12 last lanuary with 500 miles on it.....paid $7,000 exactly.....FROM A DEALER!!!!! They had it stickered on the showroom for $10,500. I found it just by calling dealers somewhat near to me, you'd be suprised the deals you can get in the middle of winter :D:D:D

Its Red on Red....not exactly the color I wanted, but when you are gettin a deal you cant be too choosy. Besides, it's only plastic and can all be changed relatively cheap [up] Just remember that when you're lookin.

jabooty
10-27-2007, 09:02 PM
i'll be looking at a 03 xb9s with 9+k on the clock.
hopefully it's a good buy. the owner kindly said that he will allow me to roadtest it before i buy.
thanks again for all the input.
maybe my next post will be in the modification section:D

midlifecrisis
10-29-2007, 03:51 AM
Yeah, the hydraulic valves means no adjustment needed - ever. I got my 06 Firebolt as a leftover and it was red, I wanted black. They had a black demo with the race pipe ($800) but I actually wanted the stock pipe and was not at all interested in paying for the race pipe at this (that) time. They just changed out the black parts for the red and voila - I had the exact bike I wanted. the Duc's are fabulous bikes but one thing is for sure, I really don't want the hassle or expense of all the maintenance that come with a Ducati. now on the other hand, if I could afford the Desmosedici...

jabooty
11-04-2007, 03:19 PM
well,
i ended up picking up a 06 XB12s vlancia orange.
great condition and pretty much a great deal!
i would have preferred a SCG model but not much was available.
can't wait to take her out.

thanks agian
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1086_20071103163217_L.jpg

badbandit12
11-19-2007, 02:35 AM
sweet ride , have fun!!

LeFox
11-19-2007, 10:32 AM
is that a stain on the header, or did she get spilled? [confused]

BuellPastor
11-19-2007, 11:44 PM
Great bike. Just like mine! I too was thinking about getting the SCG, but am really glad I got the S instead.