PDA

View Full Version : to much power to start with?

pamver
03-24-2010, 11:44 PM
i love the looks of the 1125cr but
how is a 1125cr as first bike?
they told me and i think to powerfull... am i right?
i don't know becous i did'nt test it

kokomochandler
03-24-2010, 11:54 PM
the only downside to it being a first bike is you wont have anything to compare it to. i rode jap bikes for years and got my first buell and it put all others to shame. you wont have that. the power is only how much you twist it. a stupid learner wrecks just as easily on a 600cc bike. if you dont have ego youll be fine.

Bolt
03-25-2010, 12:02 AM
Take a riding course& don't let all that hp go to your head= Youll be fine[up]

Phazernut
03-25-2010, 12:07 AM
I disagree completely. Someone new to bikes does not need to have 150hp plus available to them. It is a disaster waiting to happen.

Supermanrider
03-25-2010, 12:20 AM
i agree with phazernut you dont start out with a 500hp supercar when your 16 you start out with that car that shoots out black smoke from the tail pipe everytime you start it and has more rust the paint on it.... well maybe that extreme but you dont get something out of your capbilities

another thing not to be negative but would you rather drop a $600 starter bike or your $9000 brand new bike that might be to much to handle

personally i started with a $600 bike just to get the basics and comfort of the road and used other drivers, had it for a year then went out and got my buell

kokomochandler
03-25-2010, 12:22 AM
ok well i guess then how old is pamver

Crewdog
03-25-2010, 12:26 AM
I agree it has the capability of being way too powerful for a new rider. But if the rider is responsible and rides within his limits then all is well. Respect the 1125 and you will be fine. If you don't it will bite you in the ass! I vote you get what you want and not what others suggest. Have fun! Crewdog

09CRRED1
03-25-2010, 12:26 AM
do what you want its your money all cases stated make sense i started off when i was 17 with a brand new 883 sporster then after a year stepped up to a 1200 nightster. I bought a 1125 cr brand new as my first sport bike and i love it i got on it pretty good yesterday and i had to hold on pretty good. Just take it easy and youll be fine. the break in period is good because it makes you not get on it so you get used to the power once you hit 800 miles and can go balls to the wall

meetch
03-25-2010, 12:31 AM
I agree with kokomochandler... it's all in the wrist. If your confident in your abilities and can control yourself and the bike than I would go ahead and buy whichever bike makes ya happy.... Good Luck!

Bolt
03-25-2010, 12:42 AM
Riding is inherently dangerous, anyone serious about the sport knows this.
Most accidents occur becouse people don't see bikes,no matter how safe you ride.
Like I said before, if you don't let all that power go to your head, if you take riding seriously(along with all that fun!), then I see no problem-that kind of power should give you alot of respect for a machine that can out perform you. Learn how your throttle & brakes respond, take a riding course, invest in your knlowledge& control of your bike.
If your a young gun with something to prove, it probly doesn't matter what you ride, your gonna get more than your looking for.

browland
03-25-2010, 02:44 AM
Eh as it has been state before its the torque not the hp that normally gets a newbie rider in trouble and the xb has plenty of that but I know several people who have started on a 12 just fine... As long as you use that thing you put in the helmet you should be fine... and most people start on 600cc sportbikes like the gsxr and cbr which are just as dangerous as any 1200 cc twin

Maskido
03-25-2010, 04:02 AM
I for one never understood the point of starting "small" then working your way up. Unless you have a bunch of disposable income, which in that case go for it, but most people don't. So what happens when in a year or so (prob sooner) you want something bigger? You go out, sell the bike, lose some cash & have to buy another? Doesn't make sense in my book. It's all dependent on the rider, of course. Myself, given the option, would start off on the bike I wanted, not what some feel I should "start" on. I agree with the statement above, if you're going to do something dumb that'll hurt you, you'll do it just as easily on a 600 as you would on a 1000. Get the bike you want.

RT Performance
03-25-2010, 04:09 AM
if your financing the 1125 insurance rates are insane.
It is a ton of power if you abuse it or try to show off YOU WILL GET HURT!!!!!!!!
you no riding experience dirt bike even?

IRULE
03-25-2010, 04:24 AM
As a MSF Instructor, I tell my student to buy a bike that they like to see themselves on, therefore they will ride more, get more practice (no point of letting the bike sit in the garage and not ride because you hate it)! However, in general, when you have the power between your legs, you USE it because you can! Like the guys are saying, even the 250 Ninja can kill you. But I think the CR might be just a bit too much for the first bike. Just saying, do what you want![down]

Kole_DeWoody
03-25-2010, 04:58 AM
Are you coming from 0 actually riding back ground or what?

AussieBuellRida
03-25-2010, 05:15 AM
The power of the CR is really smooth though...its not like a Jap bike where ya got no power down low and have to give it a good handfull to get a response out of it. Its like others have said...with the CR.. there is power from the moment you start twistin the wrist...the thing I would be more worried for you about is the massise stopping power.. if ya not carefull and gentle on the front.. ya better be able to controll a good stoppie or youll be eatin the bitch face first. Get it mate...you wont regret it..respect..!!

Maskido
03-25-2010, 06:10 AM
The power of the CR is really smooth though...its not like a Jap bike where ya got no power down low and have to give it a good handfull to get a response out of it. Its like others have said...with the CR.. there is power from the moment you start twistin the wrist...the thing I would be more worried for you about is the massise stopping power.. if ya not carefull and gentle on the front.. ya better be able to controll a good stoppie or youll be eatin the bitch face first. Get it mate...you wont regret it..respect..!!

Well said. By the way, Australians have one of the coolest accents. Can't help but to read this whole thing with a Dundee voice in my head. Haha, awesome.

Macbuell
03-25-2010, 06:22 AM
I went from 0 riding experience to the XB12s. I am at 4k miles of some fun, crazy riding, but I have my head on straight (24 years old). Just understand lots of power WANTS to kill you. Don't do anything stupid and you will be fine and have the time of your life.

pamver
03-25-2010, 07:42 AM
i'm 23years old
but i think i'm not going to buy a 1125cr as first bike you guy can know becous you have one, thaks for the heads up ;-)

JeepinBueller
03-25-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm 25 and I started out on an '03 XB9R last summer. When the deals started flying after Buell's demise I bit the bullet on a rare opportunity and got an '09 CR. The power difference is ... in another dimension. Get what you want, but you may feel more comfortable starting with an XB or something not quite as ... potent. I know I'm glad I did ... if I made the throttle input mistakes that I did mid-turn with my XB on the CR, I think I'd be hurtin' right now.

konarider94
03-25-2010, 11:13 PM
if your not comfortable starting on an 1125, a dual sport is a great bike to learn on. dual sports arent gay like a lot of the "starter" bikes. can take it on and offroad. and in my opinion knowing how to ride a dirtbike is a great skill to have when you move to the road. then when your ready to move up you can keep the dualsport as your offroad machine.

but i also agree if your responsible enough you can start on pretty much anything as long as its not super heavy. that can be a challenge for a new rider.

the msf course is also great. i have been riding dirtbikes since 2nd grade and i took the course and you learn a lot about how to be safe on the road. obviously the portion of the course where you learn the friction zone didnt do much for me but it was beneficial overall.

Nuage420b
03-26-2010, 12:05 AM
I sometimes wish i bought the CR instead of the XB. I don't regret it though, the 1125 will surface again in a new better form and I'll definitely own one.

Bolt
03-26-2010, 12:31 AM
I hear you on that, if hadn't got my GF's scg, there would be an 1125 sitting next to my 12r[smirk]

MAGIC
03-26-2010, 12:54 AM
Look at the bike. It looks mean, right? It is, trust me on that. If you not going to respect it will beat you up, knock you down and stomp on your head. Be respectful, ride your own ride according to your skills and you should be fine.

AussieBuellRida
03-26-2010, 01:16 AM
Gday Maskido..lol.. Had a laugh at your response, we like to call it an occa accent....just like in Croc Dndee." Thats not a knife..".!!
Hey Pamver...
My first real bike was my CR.. rode dirt bikes all my life since bout the age of 5..tinkled with a few 250's and a few road traileys.. but never owned a big power bike like this..have ridden plenty of mates big bikes though. i Have found it to be one of the easiest bikes to ride... but very different.( If that makes sense..!!) Not to mention the stares from people here in OZ ...I can see them thinkin.." What the F@#k is that beast..lol. Dont be turned off by the power... try take one for a ride and feel it up for your self.. you wont wipe the smirky smile off ya face...!!!

kalifornia
03-26-2010, 01:57 AM
Someone new to bikes does not need to have 150hp plus available to them experienced riders do? I doubt HP is rarely the sole cause of an accident

jons1125cr
03-26-2010, 04:04 AM
Get the 1125 CR you will be glad you did its a blast the power band is very controllable and consistant unlike my FZ1 that would hit 6000 rpm and pull like a raped ape it was very violent and jolting at different times you know what you are getting on the CR

jsmith2
03-26-2010, 04:05 AM
i say test ride one, if you think you can handle it buy it, if not start with something smaller... just dont go past your limits

swamp2
03-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Do not buy an 1125cr as a first bike. I'm sorry, that's just insane. I've been riding 30+ years and it's still capable of scaring me - and I'm experienced enough to respect it's capabilities. If you feel like you have to buy a Buell as a first bike, get an XB instead.

willyam1
03-27-2010, 09:42 PM
I think you should get the 1125. I got a xb9r for my first bike and people told me it was too big. It turned out fine. The bike is so much more stable and smooth than a $800 craigslist starter bike that it actually seemed easier to ride. Also when I was learning to ride my biggest concern was not adding too much throttle and falling off. It was other traffic and other ridding skills completly unrelated to how much power my bike had. Just be carefull and ride slow tell you are comfortable

Ruski1125
03-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Oi pamver, if the bike is a good deal, get it. It handles great. Learn to use the brakes which work real well. Dont be tempted to crack it till you get quite a few miles (or kilometers) under ya. Learn to corner real smooth at a comfortable pace. Once you get good and smooth then roll the juice on those corner exits, and grin real wide under your helmet. The power does not stop,it pulls hard all the way to the top. My number one tip is don't try to keep up to your mates in the twisties, the bike can easy, but until you get good and smooth, you can't. I learnt the hard way on my xb years ago and it slowed me down a lot!!!! Ride smart and safe.

swamp2
03-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Seems to me like telling a toddler it's ok to play with a loaded handgun as long as he doesn't pull the trigger.

Alfatango1
03-28-2010, 01:32 PM
It boils down to maturity level. I've seen a lot a Navy and Marine personnel here in San Diego make the news dying on motorcycles. Ride to your ability not the bikes.

My first bike was a 916 Ducati and I respected it immensely. I only ever went down on a track where I had a lot of runoff and gravel and full race leathers. On the street sure I opened it up but never in traffic and never for long periods of time. That was some 13 years ago and while I have no doubt that the 1125 is very fast if you respect the bike and use a lot of common sense you should be OK.

kyle_dewald
03-28-2010, 02:38 PM
I would just get it, otherwise you will end up buy severl bikes till you get it. Take it easy on it, knows youre limits, and take some riding courses if needed.ride with others and ones that are going to do crazy stuff

kyle_dewald
03-28-2010, 02:40 PM
and yes, the 1125 is a fast bike, same torgua as a firebolt but much more power

Maskido
03-29-2010, 12:43 AM
It's a once in a lifetime opportunity to get a amazing bike for half the cost...brand new. So while you're out there "learning," by the time you are "ready" for a bigger bike you'll pay double. And maybe my learning curve is pretty steep, but it doesn't take me years to figure out that the bike only goes as fast as I let it go. As a matter of fact, I kinda had the gist of that my first time out.

By the mere fact of getting a bike, you're acknowledging that you're getting into something that is inherently "riskier" than simple driving. So to all the [down]Safety Sams[down] out there, yeah no **** you'll get yourself into hairy situations, it's part of the package. But I would rather be limited by my own abilities, not by the limitations of the bike. You want safe? Ride the bus.

swamp2
03-29-2010, 12:48 AM
Ride to your ability not the bikes.

Yeah, that's right. The problem is - until you've ridden for awhile, you don't understand your ability, and you don't understand the bikes ability and how to put it in context.

Ignorance is not bliss here, it's potentially lethal. Buy a used 500, ride it for a season and develop some skills, then sell it for what you bought it for and buy what you want.

Why do you think insurance for young sport bike riders is so outrageous? It ain't entirely because the insurance companies are greedy...

Ruski1125
03-29-2010, 07:05 AM
Hence lies another problem, by the time you ride a season, the "dream" bike is alot more money or is not readily available. Bottom line is if you are a sensible rider from the start and you take the time to learn your bike and respect it, you will be fine. If you are crazy then you should never own this bike because you will probably kill yourself on a bloody scooter. Do take a riding course and track days are also recommended. A handgun has no in between, it is off or dead!!

swamp2
03-29-2010, 02:23 PM
How do you have a clue what your "dream bike" is when you don't have any riding experience?

Alfatango1
03-29-2010, 02:28 PM
The same way 13 year old's know their dream car is a Ferrari or Lamborghini or whatever. It's what one lusts after. I knew my dream bike was a Ducati way before I ever rode it.

fahren
03-29-2010, 05:36 PM
You could have a "starter" bike that is also a "keeper," like a street legal dirt bike (TW200, for example) - that way, you could have 2 bikes - one for messin' with on and off roads, in some wet or light snow, whatever, and as a backup for any time your bigger bike is in for maintenance, etc. Also, if you camp or want to take a small bike with you somewhere, you can do it with that small, "starter" bike.

I still have a Buell Blast, even though I now have 3 other 1200 cc bikes. And I still love to ride it. I'd surely take a hit on re-selling it, but what the heck - I've had fun with it up to now, and that's worth the price I've paid.