PDA

View Full Version : clutch problem

grnstrk72
03-28-2010, 03:37 PM
2000 m2 cyclone motor
It has been sitting for about six years.
changed all fluids, for starters
clutch slowly started to not disengage when pulling lever , now will not disengage at all, or at least that is what it feels like,
I removed clutch basket assembly & all moving parts adj screw & ramp assembly to local shop, they said it looked brand new(it only has 2700 miles on it) took it back home reinstalled per manual
any body have any ideas

ophawk
03-28-2010, 11:44 PM
By dis-engage do you mean not allowing the engine and trans to turn at different speeds? the adjustment for the clutch engagement involves the ramp assembly, and the adjustment in the middle of the cable in front of the front cylinder.
1st adjust the ramp assembly to just provide resistance to the screwdriver as you tighten it. then adjust the middle housing length to provide the 1/16 to 1/8 of free gap at the clutch lever to lever housing.
that should at least get you in the ballpark.
later

kalali
03-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Sounds like your pressure and friction plates are stuck together after sitting for so long. You may need to take it all apart and do a thorough cleaning.

grnstrk72
03-30-2010, 05:26 PM
the clutch was cleaned before reassembly.
one thing i did notice was the ramp assembly appears to push or lift out when i pull on the clutch lever.
these symtoms all seemed to happen slowely over a ten mile ride.
in the beginning the clutch seemed to just drag a little when it was in gear now it feels like the clutch is almost fully hooked when clutch lever is pulled in

ophawk
03-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Re-adjust the clutch as per the manual. if it was dragging it wasn't properly adjusted. 1st the ramp assembly to where you are just starting to feel resistance on the screw slot, then put the hex lock and inspection cover back on. then adjust the cable until there is 1/16-1/8 of a gap between the cable housing and the lever perch when the clutch is at rest.

grnstrk72
03-30-2010, 08:11 PM
ophawk
I just finished trying your suggestion, and no change
I am pulling every thing apart again, and starting from scratch.
one question i do have is the clutch basket supposed to be able float in and out about an 1/8 of a inch
after it is tightened up

grnstrk72
03-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Just got finished with R&R, I didn't put a washer behind locking nut for clutch basket(brainfart).
now I am making progress.
I can get the clutch to slip a little when I pull in clutch lever, but I am still futzing with it.
Part of my problem is I am fighting a bunch of after market stuff from the prior owner.

ophawk
03-30-2010, 11:30 PM
Yeah that washer would be a problem, I'm sure it is not supposed to float after it is tightened.

What kind of Aftermarket stuff are you dealing with?

keep me posted,
Dale

grnstrk72
03-31-2010, 02:29 AM
The clutch cable, perch, lever are all after market.
perch & lever seems to be a little sloppy, the pin holding the lever in the perch looks to be under sized

ophawk
03-31-2010, 04:32 AM
Okay,
The original perch and lever had a bushing that the pin rode in, which may or may not be one issue,
the cable may not be the correct length. or have the correct adjuster clamped to the front mount in front of the front cylinder under a bellows type boot.

I wish i had another lever setup I would send it over for you try out. pics may help if you can get them
Dale

grnstrk72
03-31-2010, 05:31 AM
I bought this bike as a basket case.
I have not thrown any thing out.
I'll rummage through every thing in the morning, and see if i can find a bushing that will work, and if that dosn't work i'll go to the local shop out here, and see if i can get a replacment lever, and perch.
it still seems strange that the clutch was working great then slowly seemed to lose the ability to disengage.
Anyway I want to thank you for advice.
I'll keep you posted if I make any headway on this problem.
Jon

1stxb9r
03-31-2010, 12:18 PM
Have you taken the friction plates out and gave them a good visual inspection? good luck!

grnstrk72
03-31-2010, 03:25 PM
I am friends with an owner of the local V-twin shop.
I brought in the clutch basket, and all the other moving parts in for him to look at, he felt that all the parts looked brand new, and it dosn't make sense that it is not working.
I think i've been to busy looking where the light is best.
I think the lever and the perch might be the problem.
Jon

grnstrk72
03-31-2010, 10:42 PM
Good news, got it working
I got it running drove it around the block, and by the time I got home the clutch was working
it does not make sense, but it worked

ophawk
04-01-2010, 03:54 AM
Cool,
Just be wary of it for a week or two, just in case something pops up.

boston
09-30-2011, 07:10 PM
ALRIGHT i have a slight problem. My clutch seem to be slipping a little at low rpm when i get on it and it slips when im banging threw the gears. I got my clutch cable replaced about a month ago and i think thats when it started, any ideas and what i could do>?

jimijeans
10-01-2011, 04:13 PM
An Readjustment is in order, for the Ramp cover needs to be removed check the play at where the cable goes into the Ramp it just should have maybe a 1/16 movement. Check the Perch area at the Lever where the lever touches the perch 1/16 gap also check to see if the bushing in the Clutch lever is worn out. The Cable needs to be clamped properly where the cable adjuster is also.Start small with adjustments. Check all of it before adjusting anything just in case it is the lever bushing. More than likely it just a Small adjustment. Make sure the Fluid level in the primary case is proper first as well. *Jimi

boston
10-01-2011, 06:37 PM
ah right what do i adjust? o yah and its a XB FIREBOLT

Stevenc150
10-03-2011, 09:33 AM
He's saying you need to check/adjust if needed, both your clutch adjustments - 1 @ the Lever - 1 @ the Primary. Both are covered in the Service manual you can download from here or Buellmods.com. There's also a DIY vid for the Primary clutch adjustment in Dave's DIY Vid thread. Below is the Lever adjustment:

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2339_20090519220008_L.jpg