Thread: Buell intake/RPM problem. ANY help is appreciated

Ok this is whats going on. My buell starts up every morning just fine. Problem is, is that once its warm the RPM's won't go much below 3000. Now its supposed to idle at 1100 rpm's, and it'll be there (at first) but when I get to a light and pull in the clutch, those rpm's won't go below 3000. When I take off in 1st gear they go down a little bit, but the motor is still really loud. This coincides with a tapping I hear from what I think is the front cylinder head. I can still operate it by feathering the clutch, but its just dumping fuel in to the motor and really loud. My buell has a slight oil leak. I already bought a new hose thats on it way but that could have nothing to do with it.

Could be a number of things. Vacuum leak, kink in the throttle cables, throttle cable adjustment, gummed up throttle plate, idle adjustment screw way too far out. Check all those things and report back.

so far i Sprayed lubricant on the throttle and the cables underneath the airbox and next to the air intake valve. I also took a look at the idle adjustment screw adn figured if it was that then this would happen all the time and not just some of the time. this happens for about 50% of everytime i go out. coincidentally when its a bit colder but that could just be my imagination

fixed it. what the problem is, is from that oil leak. once i put a new line on there it hasn't done it once. not even a little. Not sure why maybe the engine has to pump oil harder, not sure. but either way this effected the throttle issue and the knock i was getting

I have something like that happening to me and I've noticed this after I did the breather re-route. But after an hour ride, coming to a stop the rpm's take there sweet as time to come down. I can put it in first and release the clutch a little and the rpm's come all the way down like normal.

Any ideas?

Any ideas?
    If your's is an earlier XB, probably just need to adjust idle RPMs down to just below or right at 1000 rpm. Adjust it after getting the bike up to operating temp though.

Even if it idles like normal other times?

example: Say you were riding at 55mph in 5th gear the rpm's will be around 3k (not sure of the actually numbers). When you release the gas and pull in the clutch, the rpm's stay at 3k then very very slowly come down. Happens the same way if I down shift to slow down.

Say you were riding at 55mph in 5th gear the rpm's will be around 3k (not sure of the actually numbers). When you release the gas and pull in the clutch, the rpm's stay at 3k then very very slowly come down. Happens the same way if I down shift to slow down.
    Yep, that's how it will act. Not saying that's definitely the Fix - but it's so easily done, why not try adjusting idle after warmup to just below 1000. That's exactly how mine acted when I first adjusted mine too high and rode. Hopefully that's all it is with yours too.

flaya564. what i would also take a look at, is if your intake is kinda gummed up. Only reason why i say this is, if the throttle is gettin stuck or the air intake valve is, that's gonna give it that high RPM because its just pouring in fuel. then when you release the clutch a little and those gears comeback together then this would re-adjust your throttle due to resistance of the gearing. just a thought, i may not know what i'm talking about

plus i don't see how it'd be a warming up problem after an hour. 15 minutes ok ya. but an hour? thats a long time. check your oil levels like i did mine. if your oil is low and the light isn't coming on (mine didn't) you may wanna look in to this