Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harley-Davidson one of 5 of the worst corporate boards

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...ds.aspx?page=3

check this out HD is on the top 5 of WORST CORPRATE BOARDS..
    ON PAGE 3

I still do not get this whole targeting younger people when they killed off the only bikes younger people want from them.

The two phrases that best describe Harley Davidson are: "Sell the sizzle not the steak" and "A day late and a dollar short". The best example of this the their Rocker model, a hideous looking ride if there ever was one. It came two years too late to capitalize on the wide tire chopper craze and looked like well polished turd to boot. My wife personally hates the Street Glide or as she refers to it the Street Turd. She says it looks like it was designed by the team that drew the "Jetsons" cartoon back in the 1960's.

Firebolt020283, Harley markets to younger people the same way they market to older people, " We will help you become a weekend badass. How much money do you have?" Not only will they sell you a "bad ass" Nightster, at three times the cost that you could make it for, but they'll also sell you the flannel shirt, jeans (holes optional), HD T-shirt with an updated skull on it, canvas tennis shoes and throw in an open face helmet too. What a deal! Who wouldn't want to be a part that?

"According to a recent Harley-Davidson study, in 1987 half of all Harley riders were under age 35.[95] Now, only 15% of Harley buyers are under 35,[95] and as of 2005, the median age had risen to 46.7.[96][97][98][99]

The income of the average Harley-Davidson rider has risen, as well. In 1987, the median household income of a Harley-Davidson rider was $38,000. By 1997, the median household income for those riders had more than doubled, to $83,000.[95][clarification needed]"

What's weird is that it seems that at first HD wasn't about the bad ass image, the people who rode HD were bad-ass hardcore riders, and people jumped on the bandwagon. now it seems that many people just have the HD in the garage ride every few Saturdays, or on a fun run, and talk ****. Even when I rode my 79 Yamaha over 3-5k miles a year these freaks had to give me hard time because it wasn't a HD. Meanwhile their 25,000$ bike is sitting in garage with 1200 miles on it and three years old.

sorry guys im still goin to buy my street glide....and i still love harley!!! tell me this if you all hate harley so much, have you all looked at your heads on our buells there is a h-d bar and shield you guys better run down to your local lowes and get some dremmel bits to remove that cause itll look real hypicritical, when your all sportin your f*** h-d stickers and that other garbage youll are puttin on them!!!!! JUST SAYIN.

The younger riders they targeted were never Buell buyers but Sportster buyers. People who buy HD's couldn't give a hoot about Buells. The old school HD's riders particularly can't stand sport bikes let alone ones that take up showroom space next to the skull leather jackets and doo rags.

As a performance enthusiast I wanted something different and if it could be home grown that much the better. I had Japanese and Italian bikes but loved what Buell was doing and thought they were on to something.

have you all looked at your heads on our buells there is a h-d bar and shield you guys better run down to your local lowes and get some dremmel bits to remove that cause itll look real hypicritical, when your all sportin your f*** h-d stickers and that other garbage youll are puttin on them!!!!! JUST SAYIN.
    I don't hate all Harley motorcycles, I don't hate h-d riders just because they ride them, and I don't completely hate that buell was a part of harley... I do hate harley as a corporation, I hate what they have turned into, I hate that there current rider base has been brainwashed to believe that harley ****s gold and I hope Keith E. Wandell gets put out on his ass and replaced by some one who knows their ass from a hole in the ground

remember this, for years guys that tuned up their sportster used buell motor parts, including heads even if it was an hd logo on it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast