Thread: need to pick the brains-trust K&N

so jus lifted the airbox to checkout the breather re-route as no filter or catch can jus the two rocker hoses to a T then a hose going str8 to the ground??? and found quite a bit of RED oil in the air box and in the filter...WTF...is this normal for the k&n filter when reserviced maybe???

This is a sharp learning curve for me as i've always been into old muscle cars although i can't imagine where this has come from other than the intake but surely it wouldn't of been as clean as it was, definately not engine oil, not checked the gearbox yet but couldn't see how it would get up there and would almost say that it was ATF (tranny fliud)for a comparison.

Any idea's?...got me stumped, should i still add the filter and catch can for the re-route? the bike still runs smooth through all gears, thou does have some popping on decel and am going to tackle nativeXb12Rbuell (thanx bo) header removal to wrap them while i'm this far in cheers will no doubt have a few more Q's but will add to natives thread for those chur chur

Yeah that should be the oil from the K & N kit.
    Once you clean the filter they have an oil that gets sprayed on and it is tinted to allow you to see where it has been applied. sometimes it can get heavy in areas as you try to get coverage down inside the pleats.
    As for the Breather re-route, I don't have a filter or Catch-can, But I have an '98 S3 and have mine vented out the rear of the bike, away from important stuff the rear tire, brake, and the emission test probe, just in case.
    side note:
    We have a smog test here in Phoenix, for All vehicles.
    I hope that Helps,
    Later
    Dale

I'm with Ophawk sounds like K&N oil my father over oiled his on his Chevy S10 and had red oil dripping out all over the place.

Yup. The filter was probably over oiled. The transmission has a seperate open breather that is usually attached to the rear shock.

+1 on what everyone said it has been over oiled when it was cleaned and reoiled. just go to
    http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/18627_inst.pdf or http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=99-5000
    for the instructions . just take a shop towel and pat the filter down with it. it should absorb most if not all of the extra oil (oil droplets), (alot of people over oil it (and i have seen it over oiled straight from factory too.) and follow step 4 and only the dirty(outside) side gets oiled or they just put to much on by accident , shouldnt cause to much problem unless it gets on the IAT sensor or on a car IAT sensor and/or the mass airflow sensor, if so just very carefully clean it off). i think everyone has over oiled it once (at least the first time, i did half way though first time(on my gf's truck) just patted it with shoptowel untill it absorbed the extra oil droplets)

your all welcome for the header removal thread thats why i made it to help everyone out , i had seen a few buellers asking others if and how hard to remove header without engine rotate so i thought since i was taking them off for header wrap i would do a write up for everyone.

Thanx guys really appreciate all the help!!!

+1 repoint to all cheers can't tell you how relieved i'm was to hear this and thanks native for the links.

be in touch with how the header removal goes :D chur chur