Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fan cooling logic?

Good Day from the Thousand Islands area Upstate,NY Riding my 07' since APR of this year, Just shy of 8,000 mls as of today. Just love it..
    Has anyone considered placing a larger oil cooler up under the seat/tail assm. between the side case mounting rails? I made some mesurements and find a much larger cooler/fan assm. would fit...
    Not much to look at though...
    Any other Ideas...[img]null[/img]

Larger Air Cooler probably wouldn't make a noticable sensor as the fan is run off the rear cylinder temp. All the fan does is suck the hot air out as fast as it can. Best bet would be to force cold air through one or both of the air scoops. Now if you wanted to get really crazy, rig up a water cooling system that goes around the block, have heard of it on some crazy custom bikes, but never actually seen it, I can tell you that it works quite well on Gaming and Super computers. So I'm sure it's feasible...

Its been a while since I have been on this site. The fan issue has been something I have been working on for all of this time and I think I have finally sorted it. I can definately confirm that a right sided air scoop makes a huge difference to the length of time it takes for the motor to heat up to the point where the fan kicks in. In our New Zealand climate it means pretty well no fan comes on in the winter spring autumn months However 2 up it obviously still is an issue as more is being asked of the motor. In Summer there still is an issue so the thing that finally has fixed the issue is that I got the mechanics at the dealership to wire in a variable resistor with a dial on the handlebar. This varies the current to the fan. It means I can have the fan going full bore when I am going at speeds where I cant hear the fan ie over 65 km/hr = 35 - 40mph When I want to stop and avoid the fan noise eg at the Gas station filling up, I can reduce it to virtually nil. Less current to the fan = slower fan speed = a noise level I can control -all with a twist of the dial... Finally.

That sounds like a cool mod, but as I understand it, the fan's main purpose is to make sure the rear cylinder temp matches the front temp. They both need to cool down at the same rate. I would leave it up to the computer.... but then again, I could be wrong

Interesting point but the Guys at the Buell dealership never mentioned that issue. They were mainly concerned about matching the resistor correctly for the situation.

eric, I recently got an 06 XB12X and think its great. I've tried to track a right side scoop through the Wellington Dealer but no luck. Where did you get yours from?

Right Side Scoop Thread That is a thread where you can arrange to get one from. LeFox can hook you up. Hope that helps.

Hey ZMC-I am after a scoop too. LeFox has emailed and said its cheaper to get two so if you are still keen let me know and maybe we could ordered the two.

(M.Houston@massey.ac.nz)
    Michelle

sounds like a buell they are not open engines like a harley

So interesting factoid. If you get the EBR Race ECM it uses the 2010 and later fan logic. As far as I was told from EBR it will not run at shutoff anymore or at low speed as often (I think they raised the temp it kicks on at) but it runs more when you are on the road over 45MPH. This is all what I gathered from a phone conversation with them so I don't have any exacts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast