Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: clanging noise at idle

What oil and filter are you running? Have you changed brands recently?

If it had to do with oil pressure wouldn't the oil light come on ?

Check your front muffler strap. When those break which is very common it is a hollow bumping sound especially at low rpms when the engine is lugging.

this might sound odd but take a screw driver put the tip against where you want to listen and then cup your hands around the end of the handle and put your ear to it... You can distinguish sounds a little better doing this maybe it will help

Your lite is a simple pressure switch that can easily fail and leave the lite on or off. If you suspect Oil pressure put a gauge on it and get yourself some piece of mind.

I just changed the oil to look at what was in the filter, and I see some carbon flakes and some small metal particles but it doesn't look like enough to call it a rod bearing. This thing has been running mobil 1 and HD oil its whole life as far as I know. This is too loud to be a muffler strap and its for sure coming from the bottom end. When I get a chance I am going to have to take the primary cover off again and check the sprocket nut. I am just praying that this is not an engine rebuild, I just bought this damn bike and it seems like at total lemon to me.

Check the bolts that hold the headers to the engine. I had one come loose, couldnt track down the noise till it sheared off the head..... They managed to pull it out..THANK GOD!

Pretty sure I got it figured out. Had an epiphany today and realized when I checked the sprocket through the inspection hole I hadn't loosed up the chain all the way. Loosened it up and prodded on the crank sprocket with a screwdriver and sure enough it is moving some. I am sure it will move more once I get the chain off of it completely. Today I am going to go find some flat stock and grind it down to make a sprocket locking tool and hopefully it will be running and I will be riding again before the weekend.

Header flange's make crazy noises when you sheer a bolt.

If it's not the primary, I'd do what Thaloc said and check those flanges.

Hi DoubleD, everything you have describes is exactly what mine is doing. Did you find out the cause of the deep loud hammer noise?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast