Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: kick stand dangerous?

I can pull away on my Suzuki with the kickstand down. If I have the clutch pulled in, it doesn't matter if it's down or not. Of course, as part of my checklist, I always double check that the kickstand is up.

deltaone,

Don't confuse the sidestand kill switch (that the 1125 doesn't have) with the kill switch on the right handlebar control. It does have that.

i drove off with a kickstand down many times too...and sometimes after long distance i realize that its down because when the bike leans i hear that noise of it rubbing against the asphalt...

Don't confuse the sidestand kill switch (that the 1125 doesn't have) with the kill switch on the right handlebar control. It does have that.
    nope I get that

on my 03 with the stand down and in gear if you try to let off the clutch it kills the engine. it sounds like it cuts the spark but it could be cutting fuel.

I have never pulled away with it down. I reflexively kick it up whenever I thow a leg over. I have gone to raise it only to find it already up. I am more likely to forget to put it down when I park. Luckily haven't done that either. Being a pilot, I am always thinking "gear down and locked", the same way most people reflexively lock their cars when they park.

It is designed to flip up if you catch it on the pavement while riding. I can't say if that works well or not as I haven't tried. There is also a known problem of the spring falling off. Without a kickstand shutoff, that might catch you by surprise while you are riding. I think I will keep a couple zipties with me to get home if that happens.

European bikes come with a kickstand shutoff. Theoretically, you could get the parts to do that but it will require a new ECM flash too. More trouble than it's worth if you ask me.

Oh, and NO the US bikes do NOT come with a kickstand kill switch.:D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12