Thread: Oil Capacity

I've had bikes all my life but new to the Buells and they continue to make me feel like its the first bike I owned. Both my owner's manual and the shop manual I bought say 2.5 quarts of oil with an oil and filter change...did that. Now a hot bike oil check doesn't even register on the dipstick....maybe I'm the "dipstick".

lol the rule I use is if there is oil on the end of the dipstick when it's cold your good. but it's more like 3 qts for a oil/filter change

Two and half does seem short...I was just going by the manuals. That'll teach me to read.

2 1/2 q in swingarm
    1 q in primary
    4 oz in new oil filtre

Right. As I understand it, the primary is drained and filled separetly...??? So the 2.5 in the oil and filter doesn't show on the dipstick when hot.

Make sure that you screw in the dipstick all the way to check the hot oil. Mine doesn't read at all, even when hot, until I screw it in.

Ride motorcycle for approximately 10 minutes to ensure the oil is hot and the engine is at normal operating temperature.

Per the Buell Owners Manual:

# 1. The motorcycle must be on level ground, on the sidestand, with the engine off.

# 2. See Filler Plug/Dipstick Location: XB Models. Unscrew and remove dipstick from oil tank/swingarm filler hole. Wipe dipstick clean.

# 3. Insert dipstick into oil tank filler hole, screwing dipstick in completely.

Unfortunately I followed the manual to the letter and still no show.

I had this same issue, after riding for an afternoon I did an oil check per the manual's instruction. The level in the swing arm was below registering on the dipstick, so I added almost 3/4 of a quart which put me in the 'good zone' on the dipstick. Next time I took a ride I checked the oil and I found that my oil was just about to overflow from the swing arm filler nozzle....I was pissed. I checked with New Castle Buell (in PA) and the techs told me to siphon oil out until it was back in the 'good marks' on the dipstick, they said that oil can get hung up in the block and lines (for thermal differences between the block and swing arm I assume). Just thought I would share my little mishap....

I found that the practical capacity of an oil/filter change on an XBSs is about 2 full quarts plus about 20-22 oz. Even doing that, I have ended up adding some (about 4 more ounces) after the first ride after a change. My Triumph manual lied too.

The main thing to consider is the angle of the bike. Harley says to check it with the bike on the sidestand. This goes for both the swing arm and the primary case. Pre filling the filter is essential to get an accurate read after riding, otherwise you'll be down about a quarter of a quart. Too much or too little can do damage so give this some attention.