Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help with my Cams. ANYONE!!

I stupidly took apart my crankcase and didnt mark my cams. Anyone got advice or a pic of how to reinstall them in the right position? PLEASE HELP!!!!

here is a thread hat has some pics of the cams scroll to the bottom of the 1st page I'll see if I can scan some pics out of my service manual and post em for ya if that doesnt help

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Foru...-Customization

that actually does help alot. I am trying to avoid taking the stator completely out. Pics from the manual would be greatly appreciated also. Thanks so much!

Also... Do i need to remover the rocker box covers from the top of the pistons to get the cams back in without incident?

I'm asking about the rocker boxes because a mechanic at the local Harley shop said i needed to relieve the pressure from the push rods. Can you tell me what the manual says? Thanks

looks like your in for alot of work my friend. I'll post cans of the service manual for ya it'll take me a few as I'm going to scan to remove the cylinder heads the lifters and hot to install them as well. so gimme about an hr

Thanks alot. I seriously appreciate it

how the hell did you get the cams out without relieving pressure? check the cam shaft bushings for any scratch patterns...

the deal with installing/removing the rockers is that since we have 4-stroke engines the cams move at 1/2 crank speed so alternating sets (pairs in this case) of cams are lifting each cylinder individually

SO during alternating rotations each cylinder goes through a phase where the cams put no pressure on the valves and a phase where they put pressure on the exhaust and then intake valves

you may be able to get the cams back in if you can line them up based on the crank (rotate it so the line/arrow combo on the crank is in the same position as it is in my pictures) and see which pushrods/lifters are putting pressure on the valve at that time

install just the set that has no pressure (lift), then rotate the crankshaft 1 full rotation and install the other two cams (which now will not be putting pressure up on the lifters and pushrods) at the proper tooth rotation (half turn) from the markings

that you should be able to do without too much trouble, but make sure you didn't damage the cam bushings by removing them while the pushrods were still having pressure on them

since it is a 4-stroke, there is always some valve that has pressure on it

if you want more detailed information, feel free to send me a PM

maybe I should make a little video about how cams work and stuff... I'm sure I can get access to some mock-up engine somewhere

*EDIT* I think these cams actually move at 1/4 the speed of the crank, since there are 4 and they are all geared

if this were a twin-cam engine it would move at half speed

still working on it uploading them to photobucket now

I scanned the pages form the service manual for an 07 bolt to help him Thor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast