Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free Spirits Extra Trail Kit

i would like to add here that if you experiance a twitch, that this could also be caused by wrong absorber settings.

Sinpieces or anyone else,

I have set all of my suspension settings to the factory specs for my weight. SEE? I just installed a Hyperpro Steering Damper, and I'm still not satisfied with the high speed handling.

I am considering purchasing this Free Spirits Extra Tail Kit. Can you send me any directions available so my mechanic can give me a labor estimate? Should my mechanic have the special tools to press these bearings so I don't have to get a tool loan?

Quote Originally Posted by JWolk217
    Can you send me any directions available so my mechanic can give me a labor estimate? Should my mechanic have the special tools to press these bearings so I don't have to get a tool loan?
    remove:
    - headlight assembly
    - front brake
    - loosen fork clamps
    - remove stem (make sure the front wheel is locked)
    - slide fork clamps
    - remove fork
    - get the bearings.
    and then fit it again...that should give your mechanic an idea on the time he needs to spend.

the tool can be made pretty easy, although i don't think that renting it will be a big cost.
    it's just something that ensures that your bearings get in correctly.

JWolk217,

if you got the Hyper pro steering damper, which is same in construction as my Bitubo. I understand you, i started exactly like this. Fact is, suspension setting will not change what you talk about. You are better off installing the Trail kit from Free Spirit and still use the steering damper. Both of them will do the job quite good. You notice a significant change in handling. The kit will add 28mm trail and lower fork 12mm, the wheelbase will be 1345mm instead of 1320mm. I can't really say if you must have the tool, but you get the deposit fee back and i would not save on the shipping back and forth. You know you only pay this fee in deposit. This has to be correctly done or you will have problems. You need to drill 2 small screws into the frame, one for the upper and one for the underside bearing. So use the tool to get the bearings (upper and under) correct. This is what makes the rake 23 degrees instead of 21.

I have manged to brake a clamp at my steering damper, so i drive without the Bitubo now. It is better with the both of them. So i ordered a new spare part from Bitubo. Once you are accustomed to the trail kit and the damper you will just see how strange it is without them. Don't be scared, this is an improvement, i promisse... just wait untill you twist the throttle and notice stability;)
    If any question, just ask.. i have done more changes, like a Penske 8987 and a new racebar just to change cockpit and adjust the rear height higher (Penske) and better tuning of the rear (traction and better control).

wtf?!? nail screws to the frame?!?

I'm interested in this kit, myself. I love the way the bike feels on smooth roads, but, and perhaps this is just my lack of ability, I find the bike disconcerting in turns at slower speeds or over irregular surfaces. highway ride comfort? forget it. still adjusting the suspension, but the SS bike feels a lot smoother, imo.
    You need a special tool and they recommend Loctite 270 for two small screws that you will nail to the frame.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12