Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: strange noise rebuild

Started rebuilding my xb9s myself. I have no previous bike experience, but, there's lots of info on this site and in the manual. I had a noisy crank bearing last year, and i know it's been a long time but here's my progress so far.. Here's the new pinion bearing and 732 sealant as per manual. Ready to put cases together. Finally! If new pinion bearing and races are purchased, there are 4 possible bearings, only 2 races available, and races must be machined to fit your bearing.

Honed cylinders and installed new rings only. To my inexperienced eye, the pistons looked ok. Rings are only $32 a set anyway. The factory base gasket is made of superhuman material and you will sweat, swear and invent new words in other languages while trying to remove all of it. New gasket set was $215 and updated base gaskets are of thin metal. Hoping thin gasket will reduce squish in cylinder and improve compression and result in a little power. Dare to dream!;) (that's not a crack in the cyl, must be something on my crappy phone camera)

Wash all machined parts in hot soapy water. (when your wife is not looking)

It was easier to compress rings into cylinder with piston NOT on connecting rod. Turn cylinder upside down, compress rings into cyl and push piston in just far enough till wrist pin almost touches bottom of cyl. Then slide cyl. down till wrist pin lines up with connecting rod and just push pin through. Always use a new clip whenever you remove one. Way easier this way than trying to compress rings on a wobbly piston and rod and having it clang into studs and cases.

Installing heads and pushrod covers. It was easier to put o rings in the head for the the covers and install the heads than having the o rings already on the covers. The manual doesn't show you easier ways to do things, you gotta figure it out your self.

Rocker boxes installed.. Timing marks were very easy to line up and oil pump and cover were straight forward. This is as far as i got so far. Hope to get another 53 000kms out of it..
    The hardest part was resisting temptation to buy big bore kits, roller rockers, hot cams and stuff like that. I love this bike just the way it is, and just want a reliable bike i love to ride. Besides, i think these bikes have the equivalent of the screaming eagle 526 cams anyway. Ill post more when i get farther along. BIG thanks to Nick at Barrie harley davidson and everyone on this site who takes the time to help.

Good Stuff Chris.

Engine is in! Installed oil pressure guage and disconnected fuel pump. Then cranked it over till pressure built up . Reconnected pump and it fired right up. Idles nice too. Can t wait to get out and finally ride again!:)

Good job!! Isnt it nice when things go together after major repair and come to life with no issues at all. +1 for you my friend.

dam chris i need you over my house stat! that's a quick rebuild man, you didnt waste no time! glad to hear its all back together. i found your original thread and this rebuild thread after finding an extremely loose primary chain and some metal on my drain plug,(less metal then yours but still present). my loose primary chain was moving inward and slapping whatever it is that is inside of that forward sprocket. after tightening up the primary i've got a nice humming noise that is turning into a whirrrr. hope i'm not in your boat. but blessed to see you completed it that quickly, it gives me hope

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast