Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Help! Spark plugs not getting spark.

Greetings,

My plugs are not getting any spark when I crank the motor. Motor is properly turning over without struggle.

1)I've got a brand new OEM Battery fully charged
    2)Brand new OEM spark plugs gapped between .35-.4 w/ white electrodes

I took off both spark plug cables to test resistance. When hooked up to a voltmeter, both cables meet the requirments specified in the manual.

Any suggestions? Thanks-- Jason

How do you know you arent getting any spark? Did you use a spark tester to come up with that diagnosis?

No, I just pulled both plugs from the cylinders, reconnected them to the spark plug wires and coil, and cranked the motor. Shouldnt I see a spark shoot between the gap, expecially when i place a screw driver or something inbetween?

I didnt see any spark so I even placed my finger in the gap next to the electrode and I did not get shocked at all.

Any Suggestions?

yeah, you should see it and hear it tick, so you definatly have no spark. Did you check your fuses yet? check them with the ignition on if you are checking them with a test light.

When you reinsert the plug into the wire, you need to ground the plug, so hold the plug upto the case of the motor, then turn the motor over, then you should see the spark.

Midnight-- I grounded the plug using a flat head screw driver, still no spark

Evil Mechanic-- I checked all the fuses and when I pulled them from the fuse box, they appear to be physically intact.

How would I check them with the ignition on with a "test light?"

I was reading the manual and came across the "Ignition Relay", Could a faulty relay cause me to not achieve spark?

thanks for helping EM

If you pulled them all to check them, then you dont need to use a test light. The test light is just to save you from having to pull them all.

You can prolly get by on just your dvom. Do you have a repair manual? you will need a wiring diagram for the next part.

sorry, just re read your post about the manual. No the ignition relay wont cause no spark. If that was bad then nothing would happen when you turn your ignition on.

Go to the page with the engine management electrical diagram and look for the coil pack. Im not near mine so tell me if its a 3 wire, or 2 wire harness.

Evil- The coil itself is connected to the wiring harness by a 3 wire connector.

The wires are color coded as follows

1) Yellow wire with green stripe
    2) Soild Grey wire
    3) Blue wire with red stripe

thanks--jason

Can you tell me which wire goes to what? One should be power, one should be ground, and one should be the signal wire which will either come right from the crank sensor, or from the ecm I believe. If you can figure out which one is which then make sure you have power and ground at the coil pack. Then make sure you are getting a signal from the signal wire while cranking the motor over. The signal should be a pulse.

ill be home in about 2 hrs and can try to figure it out for you if you can't.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast