Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please Help! Spark plugs not getting spark.

Evil- Thanks again for all the help.

As far as the ECM is concerned, I had to replace the original ECM, but I found a brand new OEM ECM online and installed it. The bike did run with the current ecm I have hooked up.

I do own ECM Spy. The only thing I have done on the program was reset the TPS. I noticed the program had a diagnostics section but no trouble codes popped up besides the air sensor code (Because I removed the plug from the sensor when removing the lower half of the airbox).

I'm going to be out of town until tomorrow night but I will do the above tests ASAP tomorrow.

FYI: The bike is a 2003 Buell XB9r, are these kind of electrical problems typical of buells? I'm a first time owner.

Thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot me through all these problems.

I dont know if this is a common problem or not. I have only had a buell for less than a year too lol. Ive done all the electrical diagnostics at my shop for the last 7 years and Ive come to learn that if it can go bad, it will.

Evil,

I did both tests for the harness side of the connecter and I did recieve a positive light test on both the Bk/W wire as well as the R/W wire.

I moved to the sensor side and hooked up my dvom.

After I crank the motor, When negative lead is connected to negative battery terminal and positive lead is connected to the sensor side G/W wire, I do see a fluctuation from .011 to roughly .021.

What do you think from here?

Midnightrider - When you bought a new ECM for your bike, did you get one for your exact year and model?

Yes, The ecm was identical part numbers matching.

The confusing part was the bike has ran with the current ecm in it, its not like i put the new ecm and it wouldnt start. I replaced the ecm and the bike started and idled.

It souns to me like a bad ecm. Do you have a warranty on it? Could also be a broken wire i guess. Does your dvom do continuity?

No warranty on the ecm. Yes my dvom does do continuity.

I dont know if this matters or not but I have noticed a few things since the bike hasn't been starting.

When I turn the ignition on, the fuel pump sometimes makes a different priming pitch sound than before, or it even pauses a second or two then primes, and sometimes it wont prime at all unless I turn the ignition off and then back on. I dont know if my mind is playing tricks on me but the priming whine of the fuel pump seems to have a different pitch than before, but at this point it could just be my mind playing tricks on me

I know this has nothing to do with me not getting any spark but I thought I'd just put everything out there so my whole situation could be understood.

Is there a way I can test the coil pack itself? I'd hate to spend $360 at HD for another ECM, when the coil pack is only $42.

Evil thanks again for the help, but what is your opinion after all this?

*Update

I hooked up my bike to ecm spy and ran a few diagnostic tests and the spark plugs are sparking.... This makes me question the ecm because it was not doing this earlier. I find this strange because I ran the exact same test a week ago and it was not sparking at all. I degreased all my connectors and replugged everything but besides that I have no idea why it is all of a sudden working now...?

I want to put the plugs back in but now im faced with a major issue....How the hell do you put the rear cylinder spark plug on!!!??? I've tried a 5/8 spark plug socket with an elbow and 6" extension but I'm afraid I half-way stripped the head. Is there a easier way because i feel like if I try again I might strip the hole?

Remove the left side air scoop and stick a finger or 2 up in there to help guide the plug.

Glad your bike is working man next time this happens, try tapping on the ecm with a small screw driver or something.

Yeah I'm not 100% sure if it's going to run or not. I think I'm pretty close to cross threading the spark plug so I'm gonna wait and but a socket flex bit tomorrow and try to get it in.

Evil- I creeped on your profile, man you've got a beautiful bike!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast