Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at getting a Ulysses

I have been looking at getting a new bike for about a year and retiring my current bike from daily commuting which is a 01 929RR bought new in June of 01 it now has over 64000 miles on it. I seen the XB12X Ulysses and liked the look of it, after finally finding a dealer that would wait on me (guess riding up on a Honda keeps them away) I took one for a test ride. And I really liked it so now I am reading all I can about it before I make my purchase in probably April. I like the fact that I can take a dirt road when the felling hits me, already have a vacation route planned next spring to Washington state and back (from Arkansas). Just happened on to this site so I thought I would chime in and get some feedback from everybody.

I think the bike is awesome. I have a Lightning and love it. I also like the Uly, but I've always thought it too tall for me. (I'm 5 9) Is anyone else that short riding this bike?

Love my '06. Almost 20k miles in 15 months. Just completed an SS1k a couple weeks ago. A few minor issues but nothing serious. It's a great all-around bike.

Did a 200 mile run last week on my 12R, lotsa traffic and lights and I'll tell ya I'm really considering the Uly. I was in some serious pain, maybe I'm too old to be riding a Firebolt 'cos the Uly seems a great deal more comfy, even tho at 5'10" I may be too short. My wife suggested the Uly instead of the bolt. Maybe should have listened to her. The Uly sounds great for long distance.

Hi i've had all kinds of bike's,chop's,tourers. the ulysses is by far the BEST allrounder!!!!! i'd compare it to the world famous BMW GS on/off road it rocks, wet dry sand mud it don't care. Go for it.:D

How tall are you partman?

I was looking for a bike to commute to work 120 miles RT and be "safe" (be seen easily) and have some fun, mabye some road trips. I am 6ft/180lbs long arms, and I sat on every bike at my local Harley Dealer and BMW/Ducati Dealer's and the Ulysses fit me perfectly. It feels very comfortable. Stopped, I can stand on the balls of my feet, both feet. I have a new 06' (leftover) the 08 XB12XT is at least an inch lower than the XB12X. Go check it out!

Hi, I'm doubt too. I have a City X and I'm thinking of changing it by a Uly.
    I ride every day, sunny or rainny days. I travell on weekends too. I miss my dirt bike, but I love the firebolt racing riding. I don't know. I wonder if I can still go knee dragging on a Uly and also go off-road, and I mean, real off-road.

Is it possible to do both with an Uly???

Can it pass through a street bump? I mean, straight, jumping, like natural?

Thanx in advance for any help.
    Best of riding for you all,
    -J.

I wouldn't say that a Uly is meant for true off-roading, but handles alright on unpaved or even the odd fire road. Tires, suspension and overall weight are the main limitations that keep it from being more off-road worthy.

I heard someone make this comparison to the BMW GS and I think that it is pretty accurate:

BMW GS is 60/40 on-road/off-road
    Uly is 70/30 on-road/off-road

For me and many others this makes the Uly a better fit for my style of "adventure touring". A comfortable distance machine that handles fantastic on the pavement and is still capable on unpaved rougher roads also.

See these videos for some singletrack Uly fun. Pretty wide singletrack, but hey...

xb12x singletrack 1

xb12x singletrack 2

And a picture of some Uly Knee Dragging (certainly not me, and it is an xb12xt uly, top right photo...):

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast