Thread: ACC fuse keeps blowing when flasher relay is installed

Ok this is my issue. After riding in a down pour i noticed my gauges and blinks stopped working, headlight were still on and bike was running still just fine. So i noticed the ACC fuse was blown, no biggy thought the rain soaked something. Popped in a new fuse and the minute i use my blinkers it pops again. so thinking the flasher relay went bad cause the blinkers were really funny after the first popped fuse. got a new flasher and the second i put the flasher in the fuse pops...... everythings fine if i keep the flasher uninstalled (obviously id have no signals. any idea's? (also had the signals attached and deattached for troubleshooting reasons) and i thought it could of been a faulty hand control switch but thats not it....is there anything else that is ran on the signal circuit, like another relay, besides the obvious

Hi. Check out the turn signal wires, if you haven't already done it. I had a similar issue last autumn; the ACC fuse got blown each time I used left turn signal when the motor was revving high (read: highway speed or quick acceleration). Turned out the insulation/cover of the wire going to left turn signal was worn out and the bare wire was touching the chassis, causing a short circuit.

i had all the blinkers disconnected at one point to eliminate that...thanks for the heads up though

so i put the factory flasher back in and everything is fine again...which makes no sense, but now i got that worry in the back of my mind everytime i hit the turn signal....im begining to think that buells arent ment to get wet....lol

Well as a general rule I don't think Buells are no more or less susceptible to rain than any other motorcycle if the wiring and connectors are in good order - my '06 Uly gets ridden every day regardless of weather and has been drowned at times. Having said that of course, if water gets into electrical connections then the gremlins can get loose pretty quickly.

The blinker relay is connected directly to the ACC fuse and directly to ground with the third connection going to the blinker switch on the LH switch cluster. This point is switched to the Left or Right blinker circuits so the first question would be- in the first scenario with the original relay blowing fuses when the blinkers were switched on did it blow on both the Left and Right sides? If it did then it probably indicates the issue isn't a chafed wire outboard of the blinker switch on the handlebar as these are two completely separate circuits.

Was there any indication of water in the flasher relay socket when you changed the relay over? If so, then one thing that helps keep water away from areas like this is dielectric grease. Remember this is an insulator and is designed to keep water out, not make electrical connections 'better' so don't slather it into sockets that have marginal connections.
    Was the replacement relay a direct replacement (3-pin) as it sounds like that was bad to be blowing the fuse without switching either L or R blinkers on?

It sounds like you have two different things going on - always a pain with electrical diagnosis.
    I suppose if you are feeling lucky now that everything is working you could try the replacement blinker relay again to prove that it is one of the faults? - of course that would require the sacrifice of another fuse.:(

Mine just did the same thing. Bought it wrecked and just got everything back together and rode it to oreilly's to get a flasher. popped it in and no blinkers (although my fronts are gone anyways) then about 1/4 mile noticed the gauges didnt work. Checked fuses and pulled the relay. Havn't really looked at it yet but if you found anything lemme know and I'll do the same.