Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rear tire plug failure

New set of pilot road ct2's in route from jakewilson.com...been wanting these for a while anyway, haven't been to fond of the stock pirelli's. I do a lot of highway riding for commuting to work, too, looking forward to seeing what kind of mileage I get out of these.

Nice, they are $15 cheaper and it looks like they might have an additional discount for military...I'll have to call tomorrow to get that applied. Thanks!!
    I have been passing that word along for a year now! lol

I had actually looked at the wrong tire, clicked the power 2ct's by mistake. The road 2ct's were $30 more for the pair, and the military discount is only for certain brands, did not apply to tires.

yea i wait til they have to 4-5 hour sales. you can add your mil discount on top of any discount they are already running. sometimes it's hard though to be patient!

as great as the prices and gear reviews are at sportbike I don't recommend using them for anything other than tires.

I used them last year for most of my gear and had no issues but this year I have had nothing but problems with them.

I love my plug kit. Personally, I have had great experiences with the rubber and the rope type plugs. I am more comfortable using them on my rear tire over the front. But, I have never had one "FAIL". Since I plugged my rear tyre, I have always had to check the pressure before going anywhere. But, you should do that anyway; even with new tyres.

First the plug will leak, and gradually go flat it it decides to spontaneously fail. Having that happen on the rear tire is a lot better than a front tire in my opinion.

Now, I'm not saying I trust my life to a plug kit, but damnit, 300 miles on a brand new tyre seems like a waste.

However, I do carry like 6 CO2 cartridges in my tail section in case I need to patch a hole and limp somewhere.

tire flexation should only be worried about under race air pressures, i cant say i plug my tires, because i dont. i just pop the tire off and patch it. but there are patch kits that have a plug sticking out of said patch. and those compensate for the clipped threads. normal plug kits are trustable. not really on a front though.
    you dont have to take my word for it i'm only certified on metric bikes.

:D

I'll use a plug in a pinch, but as soon as I can get a few minutes I'll break it down and do an internal patch. After that I try to keep in mind that the tire has a REPAIRED HOLE in it, and ride accordingly. Doesn't mean I won't lean it, I just try to keep a bigger margin for safety. I've seen way too many "Damn man, that almost never happens" occurances in my life. Brown midas touch maybe...lol

I would plug a front to get home, but I doubt I'd keep it, even with a patch. Too much risk there imo...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123