Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blown Fuel Pump Fuse

Hello everyone, I was just wondering if anyone has run into this issue i am having before.

this has happened 3 times to me.

Ill be riding along and the bike just dies. The first time it happend i thought maybe i ran out of gas and the fuel light just didnt come on. i filled it up and it still would not start. I replaced the spark plugs thinking i fouled 1 or both. what had happend was the fuse for the fuel pump had blown. put the spare fuse in and it started right up.

then yesterday i was on my way to work and the exact same thing happend. I put the spare 10A fuse in and it started right up. about 10 mins later it blew the fuse again.

Now both of these days this happend it was 90+ degrees and i had traveled more than 95 miles on the tank of gas.

My bike is a 09 12scg bone stock.

is it a combination of heat/fuel level?

Is this something that i should take to the dealer and let them worry about it bc the bike is still under warranty?

Thanks in advance for the help

Warranty. It is a faulty fuel pump. We have had ours replaced twice on our '09 Scg as well. Get it in to the dealer and documented before your warranty runs out.

What is really strange is that we have both an '09 Scg and an '09 R, and the it happens on the Scg and not the R. I haven't looked to see if the part numbers for the fuel pumps are the same or not. If they are, I think it is a wiring harness problem. I have read quite a few times of people having the exact same problems, but all of them are Lightnings, I have never heard of a Firebolt with this problem.

thanks for the quick responce. I made an appointment and will keep everyone updated.

i have an 09 scg that blew the fuel pump fuse.it only did it once though and havent had any problems in 7000 miles.but a lot of others are having the pumps replaced.

My 09 X was blowing fuses so I took it to the dealer and they replaced the ecm under warranty. No problems since then.

Yes I have the same problem with my 08scg. The same thing happened in the heat, though I replaced the fuse and it runs fine but now the engine check light is on! And of course the warranty went out last month. and I don't have the money to take it to the dealer.

well i dropped it off at the dealer yesterday. we will see what they come up with.

Stewart sorry to hear about your warranty running out, if it was documented bf your warranty ran out it might still be able to be covered. i dont know though

Yes, if it was documented before the warranty ran out, you would still be covered.

Replacing the ECU is an interesting idea. I keep focusing on what the differences are between an S and R, since this doesn't happen with Rs. I would think since the ECUs are the same, it would rule it out, but then again, you never know. I think it is the wiring harness, or the way it is run to the ECU. I'll find out for sure, though. I have an R with no problems, and I am about put on an S harness. If it starts blowing fuel pump fuses, problem solved.

This is a more common problem that Buell (or Harley) lets on. I was popping fuel pump fuses just like you. All the Buell boards say the same thing, its the fuel pump. I went to the local Harley dealer and told him what I've been reading. He changed the fuel pump under warranty. I haven't had a problem since.

same thing here on an 09 xb12r ... like 100 miles on the thing ... kept blowing through fuses ... dealership picked it up once, said they 'diagnosed' the problem ... happened again first time out ... they are in the process of trying to track down a new fuel pump ... been 3 weeks ... love the bike, but this is nonsense

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast