Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken Drive Belt

I was all geared up last night to go home and copy the DIY right air scoop found in the DIY mod section of this site.

I set off at a brisk pace, got to a set of lights and a renault clio with an exhaust the size of a large baked bean tin pulled up next to me and started reving it up. As i was feeling a bit cheeky, I thought ok you want to play!!!!!!

Lights changed and bang, clutch went out power went on, jumped of the line as quick as you like, then gently rolled to a hault.........

Looked back and there in a perfect line on the floor was my drive belt.

It just goes to show, the race is not over till it's over.

I got 12,000 miles out of the belt, that's not bad. My local HD dealer has one in stock for me to pick up tomorrow.

I will be back on the road by Sunday.:D

Mine is a 2003 with the stock belt. I'll have to replace it eventually with the 2005+ belt, hopefully before it does the same thing to me. I've been curious though, what's the difference between the tension roller on the 03/04 and 05+ I've heard people say that needed to be replaced as well, and not just the belt itself. Is that true?

Mine is a 2007 with a stock tension roller and the HD dealer has said that just the belt needs replacing.

The stock belt tension roller is static, but you can buy an after market roller that flexes, this gives a bit more flexability to the belt.

If you drop your bike and the rear wheel extends right out, the belt is likly to snap due to the tension, but the flexable roller helps reduce the risk of this.

The easy answer is not to fall off or jump the bike too much.

If upgrading the '03 to the newer belt system is done complete, it can cost around $600. You can't just swap out the belt as the Front and rear sprockets are different as well as the need for the new idler pulley assembly.

Here's a Step-by-step DIY write-up: '03 Belt Upgrade

My bad, I missed the upgrading part.

I am just replacing my broken belt

Bought a buelle xb9s recently,I was busy doing the weekend round of visiting all the people who you only ever visit when you have a new bike, proudly introducing them to my new baby, like a child with a new toy, When between house calls the drive belt suddenly snapped, I`d only had it 2 days, so Feeling a mixture of anger and heartbreak I pushed her home whilst phoning the wife to tell her to arrange a replacement pronto from my local HD dealer.

Was told it would be a minimum of 3-4 weeks but could be several months before it would be delivered to store due to some kind of HD warehouse problem, Not a problem I thought, I`ll refer to my old friend ebay and/or google to source a belt.

Its now 2 weeks and despite ringing anyone and everyone associated with any kind of motorcycle i`m no closer to even oredering one let alone receiving it.

I`m hoping that someone may have had same problem and tracked some down, I`m in uk which really doesnt help, spoken to every HD dealer within 100 miles of my address and they are either very very poorly trained in customer service and of very low intelligence or just cant be arsed to discuss your problem, offer any advice or even attempt to find stock numbers/order parts.

Is there any belts that are `buelle compatible` that will fit.

Have read that this make/model has loads of belt issues and looking into the 04 belt set up/chain conversion, but in the mean time just want her back on road

Getting desperate lol

thanks in advance for any help

I believe, don't quote me on this, that a drive belt from a 91-03 Sportster will work on the 04+ XB's with the 14mm pitch. What you're looking for is a 1 1/8" wide, 128 tooth belt with a 14mm pitch, assuming you have an 04+. the 03's used a smaller pitch and are kind of an odd-ball.

cheers pal, mine is the dreaded 03 11mm pitch belt. Think its 127 teeth

i saw an 03 one day. i was shocked at how small the belt was. its really thin too.

I got 12,000 miles out of the belt, that's not bad.
    Meh i have 26,000 on my stock belt so far

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast