Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drummer Exhaust, Noise Tickets, Drivability, and Open Intake Q&A's

I just purchased my first Buell last week- a 2007 xb12s. I am reading up on people's comments on different exhausts, different ECM's, and different intake systems- but I have a few questions for the experienced enthusiasts:

[1] I've only heard one exhaust on a xb12s, and it was the Drummer. It sounded nice. I don't like the idea of "trading in" my old muffler because I am in fear of "Fix-it-tickets". Has anyone dealt with this before?

[2] When replacing the muffler with a Drummer, I hear there is a tuning valve built into the exhaust which needs to be disconnected. Is this valve cable operated and where is the source of the cable lead?

[3] When replacing the exhaust, is it necessary to buy a Race ECM, or Powerizer, etc? I understand that the bike will not perform as well as it could without new air/fuel programming. But will the engine run poorly and foul out plugs if the Engine Controller is not modified? The reason I ask, is because I am interested in a louder sound, but not concerned on increasing horsepower. (if I wanted a faster bike, it would of been japanese)

[4] Can someone please describe what an Open Intake modification is? I can't find a post regarding what this is.

and lastly...

[5] Does anyone recommend who to purchase a Drummer Exhaust from?

- www.kdfab.com gives 2 options: Drummer SS which looks like it is all stainless steel($650), and the Drummer CF which looks to be carbon fiber($1200). With a price like that, you'd think they'd have a better web site!

- www.americansportbike.com sells the drummer exhaust too.

http://www.americansportbike.com/sho...show/9086.html

The picture shows a black wrapped muffler with a polished tip. This Drummer costs much less at $395.00 + $250 refundable core charge. This exhaust (black with polished end) is what I want, but am scared to purchase it from the "middle man". Any comments?

Thank you to anyone who helps and contributes their knowledgable information.

p.s. I want TypeOne's black xb12s. Can someone please steal it for me? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by JWolk217
    [1] I've only heard one exhaust on a xb12s, and it was the Drummer. It sounded nice. I don't like the idea of "trading in" my old muffler because I am in fear of "Fix-it-tickets". Has anyone dealt with this before?
    you could try buying an original of ebay, or sorts and send it for adjustments @ kdfab.

[2] When replacing the muffler with a Drummer, I hear there is a tuning valve built into the exhaust which needs to be disconnected. Is this valve cable operated and where is the source of the cable lead?
    just disconnect the servomotor...
    to make it easy for you to change from drummer to original, just bind the cable. no need to remove it.

[3] When replacing the exhaust, is it necessary to buy a Race ECM, or Powerizer, etc? I understand that the bike will not perform as well as it could without new air/fuel programming. But will the engine run poorly and foul out plugs if the Engine Controller is not modified? The reason I ask, is because I am interested in a louder sound, but not concerned on increasing horsepower. (if I wanted a faster bike, it would of been japanese)
    the bike runs without these adjustments, but i wouldn't recommend it.
    not only because of performance, but just for the health of your engine. running lean increases heat, which could be the cause of alot of engine problems.
    i'm still for these mods, since every change in flow should done correctly.

[4] Can someone please describe what an Open Intake modification is? I can't find a post regarding what this is.
    open airbox if easily explained, removing or opening the black airbox under your cover.
    not only does that mean more air will get to the engine, but more importantly is that more 'fresh' air will help your engine cool = better burn = better performance = healthy engine.

[5] Does anyone recommend who to purchase a Drummer Exhaust from?
    if you want the black with shiny tip, you want this one: oem-tuning
    get it where you get the best price, with or without exchange exhaust.

I special ordered the Drummer slip on and the servo emulator from American Sportbike today. We'll see how it runs without any ECM mods, and then I'll decide if it's necessary later on.

Ok do what you need to do. The bike runs perfectly with the race ecm and the drummer. KDFAB pretty much built that muffler to run with the Buell Race ECM specifically.

We'll see how it runs without any ECM mods, and then I'll decide if it's necessary later on
    i just gave you the advice, the decision is yours...

I got a drummer in black. I am happy with the way it sounds. I don't feel like the bike runs any better or worse. I do not feel that a race ECM or other controller is necessary because the bike runs so smooth.

I do not feel that a race ECM or other controller is necessary because the bike runs so smooth.
    you won't know unless you try...but hey, it's your engine ;)

For the air box I took a 3/8 drill bit and drill and drilled about 50 holes in my air box. I think that should make a nice difference in the way the bike runs.

Quote Originally Posted by dans03firebolt
    For the air box I took a 3/8 drill bit and drill and drilled about 50 holes in my air box. I think that should make a nice difference in the way the bike runs.
    if he's not changing AF ratio, i would not recommend running changing the airfilter.

atleast with the muffler you can't force in more air than the filter allows

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast