Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Just a little something to say about reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by XB9-Vtwin View Post
    For instance in the movie EASY RIDER - Would it have even been realistic for a well-used HD chopper to have made it w/out breakdown in 1969 from California to New Orleans? From what I've read I doubt it. Or is the fact the Buell "beginner bike" the BLAST is 500cc's because the HD motor is weak or the fact is operates at such a comparatively low rpm it requires THAT much displacement whereas a jap entry level bike is usually 230cc's?

This why I'm here to ask those who know because I damn sure don't.
    In the end, even Erik Buell was putting brand new Blasts in the crusher... with a smirk and twinkle in his eye while pressing them into paperweights.

Even he realized they were better as an endtable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkQ5iYavry8

My 1970 650 Bonneville never broke down on me and I rode that bike all over, I'll admit one thing though, one had to be able to tear down those carbs in pitch black darkness. I would not have hesitated to ride it any place, which I did ! I think the Buells are more dependable than the bikes of yesteryear but at the same time, one must know their bike ! I knew some guys that rode Harleys, one was a real good wrench, what puzzled me was that they also owned Hondas for their everyday rider, me I only owned that bonny.

If your that concerned, I would buy a Japanese bike and then get a Buell down the road.

If you want to totally ignore a bike and just beat on it relentlessly without proper care, buy a Buell XB.

The combination of ancient/proven/refined engine architecture, and modern but simple (and jailbroken) electronics, with almost no maintenance requirements, make it the perfect ride to circumnavigate the globe.

You'll never have a clutch line leak or the valves adjusted, your sprockets will never wear out and neither will your chain, they're not 13:1 so they'll eat any crappy gas, and the radiator won't get damaged in a crash. Your ABS module won't send you in limp home, and neither will your traction control. Need a part? You'll find the same ancillary stuff on 25 years of other brands of bikes and even scooters.

You, or someone else can fix anything with a small amount of knowledge and basic tools. If your 2019 BMW GS breaks down in ...-istan, you'll need a tow, the dealer, and a fat checkbook.

IMO if your Buell ain't runnin' right, it's YOUR fault.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdirtrider05 View Post
    if it werent for this site i would still be stuck on a bike that overheats every 10 miles.. reading countless posts of folks bitching about their problems and eventual fixes saved me tons from the stealership, gave me tons of knowledge about my bike and helped me understand my bikes personality better.. and further more gave me a wicked repect for the actual simplicity of these bikes.. they are not just another rice burner or pasta rocket and far from a hairy davidson. i take alot of pride in knowing that if something does break, i can do it myself. im HAPPY to say that i bought a buell that unfortunatly did have problems ( alot of them! from the PO as is most always the case, HUMAN error) but with some patience, some beer, and alot of THIS FORUM, i have a beast of a bike like no other. and am so impressed by them i am looking into adding to the family with an XT and who knows! the Girl Friend has been wanting something, maybe a blast (or this sweet tuber ive been watching!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    If you want to totally ignore a bike and just beat on it relentlessly without proper care, buy a Buell XB.

The combination of ancient/proven/refined engine architecture, and modern but simple (and jailbroken) electronics, with almost no maintenance requirements, make it the perfect ride to circumnavigate the globe.

You'll never have a clutch line leak or the valves adjusted, your sprockets will never wear out and neither will your chain, they're not 13:1 so they'll eat any crappy gas, and the radiator won't get damaged in a crash. Your ABS module won't send you in limp home, and neither will your traction control. Need a part? You'll find the same ancillary stuff on 25 years of other brands of bikes and even scooters.

You, or someone else can fix anything with a small amount of knowledge and basic tools. If your 2019 BMW GS breaks down in ...-istan, you'll need a tow, the dealer, and a fat checkbook.

Thanks Cooter.

With this winter weather, I have nothing better to do then weigh in on posts with irrelevant personal opinions.

About 25 years ago, I had a 1970 Triumph Trident. I traded a 750 yamaha for it, btw it came in a in a box. I needed a reliable commuter, and I had only ever owned Japanese motorcycles up to that point. I was in college and had a limited budget. BIG MISTAKE! Bike was amazing when I finished it, very happy BUT! Drum brakes, narrow tires and a Lucas points ignition meant it was about the worst daily commuter for ANYONE.

I did purchase a XB Ulysses with low mi ledge as my long distance touring bike. The best things about the bike:
    - Final Belt Drive
    - Hydrolic Lifters
    - Low end Torque
    - Handling in tight twistiest

Changing the spark plugs is a drag and the right side of the bike gets warm. If you stay on the maintenance it's a great machine. It's a bike with lots of personality. If you want a bike to HONK ON and do nothing besides put gas in it, maybe a Honda is a better choice for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post

Why do you americans have such big need to always pick on BMW? Stop the bs, the BMW GS are the nr 1 prefered bike to use on any kind of longer traveling. Deserts, highways, backroads etc. So please, stop the crap. They are great bikes and in EU not known to break down, maybe your mechanics need to get education. If any brand need a big checkbook is it Harley with their ridicoulus prices on everything.
    This is not about knowing, it is patriotic mumbojumbo. All bikes have their pros ans cons.
    Last edited by Fredrikrosen; 06-21-2020 at 08:29 PM.

Agree 100% Fredrik. BMW motorcycle and particularly the GS is finest production motorcycle in the world and has been for 40 years now. Most Buell EBR riders seem more attracted to $1700USD garage sale specials. the BMW motorcycle line more appealing to us well-heeled, mature riders of higher financial stature and superior riding skiils who shun garage disasters. I personally can highly recommend all BMW motorcycle models as i just purchased my 5th but 1st GS. Reliability is legendary but Buell reliability been major problems so if heading out for ride keep trip short and have your local AAA or towing company on speed-dial and keep jaunts limited to restaurants, grocery stores and coffee shops. i can and will highly also recommend entire Honda line along with Hyosung TrackMaster Mark-IV with Suzuki sourced SV650 engine style for TrackMaster.
    Buell most all times problems for electrical shorts and wheels exploding on interstates along with constant valve adjustments and fork leaks plus wooden brake pedal feel which is dangerous for trail-braking of course.
    warm regards,
    TEABAG

002.jpg
    GS.jpg

And they win the ugly award also along with just about any other DS made. Just an opinion.

I love my or honda vtx 1300
    I had fun when I was younger on a 1983 honda rebel 250 you could take any corner wound out and both bikes are extremely reliable
    And the Suzuki intruder 750 I had was a really good bike as well.
    So I will back them.
    My new to me buell well........ I love it. But still wouldn't give up my vtx.

character-calvin.jpg
    No need to drag up a 2 year old thread in defense of a 55 Billion dollar company. They're doing just fine without you, Fred. They have proven to be the leaders in many segments and the absolute dominating force in the adventure bike segment. For like 15 years straight?

A quick google says they have made over HALF A MILLION BMW GS's... and that was 10 years ago! You don't get there making junk. NO denying the GS is the right choice for the VAST majority of people who want to go ride the Road of Bones or get a half-caff/de-caff vanilla latté with a half pump of caramel, lite on the cream. Cool, go buy one man. I've never hated riding a motorcycle, and I've never cared what anyone else thinks about the bike I'm on. If your so worried about what your neighbors think, go ask them what you should buy.

I'm old so I like things I can understand. I'm cheap so I like things I can afford. I'm handy, so I like things I can fix. Buell

On a personal note:
    My problem has never been BMW. My problem is the overbearing controls now being mandated 'for our safety'. Because BMW are the leaders and zee Germanzz know a thing or two about control... it's easy to pick on the leaders as an example.

Aren't motorcycles supposed to be FREEDOM machines? If I want to be safe in a hermetically sealed airbag protected climate controlled transportation device I'm glad I have that option. But I CHOOSE to throw my leg over a 180HP, rattly, analog, violent, rocket ship that will probable kill me. Because I can. #Freedom

I guess I'm the Coyote in this argument, where's that ACME TNT?

LOVE that avatar Barrett, well done

Last edited by Cooter; 06-22-2020 at 03:27 AM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast